EK RTX 2080 Vector Temps - should i reseat?

Associate
So I thought i was generally happy with my set up but after what i have read on other forums about the vector block performance on RTX series cards, i thought i would do some more testing as people were getting way lower temps. Appreciate i am also running a OC 8700 i7 in the same loop but still.

Idle:
Room temp: 18.3c
GPUZ temp: 36.0c
Reservoir water temp: 25.0c

Load (time spy)
Room temp: 19.3c
GPUZ temp: 77.0c
Reservoir water temp: 36.8

Load temps taken with case side back on and timespy 4k on loop for half hour. I read that if the water temp has a delta t greater than 15c than the chip temp then the block is ineffective and could need reseating or tightening down. IF its under 15c and still running hot then there isnt enough capacity for the loop to get rid of the heat

Do these temps look like i should take the block off and try again? I also have an air bubble in the CPU block for the life of me i cant get out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is the air bubble big enough to restrict flow? Are you confident you have full water flow? I'd assume so but that could be a pointer.

How are CPU temps? I generally find my CPU and GPU temps seem to track each other because they're always relative to water temperature.

Does sound like a reseat/reapply is in order. What are your fan speeds and rad config?

Associate
OP
I have a 280 & 120 rads, I have noctua and vadar fans on the rads, idle about 700 rpm, ramping up to 1200 rpm under load.

The air bubble on the cpu block is pretty big, its on the top of the block so after the water has hit the jet plate and then circulates around the outside of the block, couple mm in diameter. Had the case upside down and flat, pump on 100% to try get rid of it. Managed to release a huge air lock in the rad by doing it which lowered my res level by about 10mm…but the bubble remained!! My CPU temps are about the same as they were before I added the GPU block and developed the air bubble to be fair. I knocked by OC down to 5.1ghz @ 1.3v on the 8700k to keep temps at mid 80s under heavy stress.

The CPU runs around 70 under game loads whilst the GPU tracks to the high 70s, so under game load the GPU runs about 8C hotter. Under full stress test load like real bench the CPU runs in to the upper 80s. When I had it at 1.35v 5.2ghz it peaked in the mid 90s, so backed it right off.

I am mindful of the GPU temp mostly to get the OC sorted. My manual overclocks are stable in benchmarks but have had crashes in Battlefield 5, if i back it off to the Auto tune OC in afterburner it runs stable. If i whack the fans on 100% and open the case side GPU boost will let it get up to 2080mhz, but under normal fan curves despite not hitting the thermal throttle limit GPU boost is still backing it off to about 1980mhz which isnt that great.

Soldato
That's a fairly small amount of radiator space for overclocking such a thirsty setup. Still it sounds like something isn't performing right. CPU and GPU temps sound high. Can you measure flow rate at all? Maybe observe it?

Associate
OP
I can see the flow rate is high. My res is fed at the top so if I drain some water out I can see the speed it is circulating. My radiator space is case limited (inwin 805) I have thick rads and good fans to try compensate.

I'm going to break it all down and go again.

Soldato
Looks like vector contact to the gpu core is poor. Watch you haven't used screws that are a fraction too long. Common fitting fault. On idle my loop and cpu & gpu temps are very close after normalising..

Soldato
My card usually goes from around 30c idle and slowly builds over a period of a few minutes to 40ish degrees. I think it maxes at around 50c after some hours at full load and fans around 1000rpm. That’s with a 2080Ti.

Does it jump to 60c when you put it under load or does it slowly rise?

I’d agree with forno and double check you have used the correct pads and screws. If correct then check your flow.

Could also be poor airflow, thick are not always good as they require a fair amount of airflow and static pressure to rid the radiator of heat.

280+120 is enough but cutting it fine for a system of that size.

Associate
OP
So i did some playing around, delid on the 8700k and cleaned up the CPU block and reseated the GPU and checked all the screws. The temps from timespy seemed to have lowered but then i was doing some gaming and...playing some GTAV for an hour or so yesterday and my CPU sits about 55C but the GPU grew to about 77c. I wouldn't say it slowly rises but it doesn't jump now either - id say a few minutes it builds to that and stays there. I took the OC off the GPU and ran it at stock and did the same.

Maybe the block isnt machined flat enough?? Worth an RMA?

I would think if my loop wasnt efficient enough, the CPU temp would be much higher considering i have 1.43v running through it.

Associate
OP
Whoop finally fixed it - did another reseat, also used Noctua TIM i had leftover from CPU.

Peak load temps 56C on GPU, running pretty much in equilibrium with the CPU through Graphic test, and the CPU peaked at 78C on the CPU run, on 1.43v -

System average 42C on GPU and 52 on CPU

Happy days

Back
Top Bottom