Currently being held prisoner in hospital...

Caporegime
If it is the case I just googled (there has been a recent judgement) it is far less black and white than that - some injuries are inconclusive as to how they happened and there is general signs of neglect - which has lead to harm or the child experiencing unnecessary suffering - even if there wasn't intentional harm caused. Does look to me like there is far too many inconclusive factors in the case, on both sides, and it should be re-examined at a higher level.

These cases are always very complex and a decisive conclusion is rarely reached. Lawyers will try all sorts to wriggle out of clear cut abuse cases, often successfully, and often on dubious grounds.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
These cases are always very complex and a decisive conclusion is rarely reached. Lawyers will try all sorts to wriggle out of clear cut abuse cases, often successfully, and often on dubious grounds.

True but in that case it isn't even conclusive what the actual nature of the injuries are, whether they happened naturally, were made worse unintentionally (or intentionally) or were the result of intentional harm.

Soldato
I hope I never get in this situation myself (I have a 9 month old) as my reaction would be just to start taking baseball bats to people accusing me of harming my own child.

Role model parenting right there.

If you did that you might get to spend 30 minutes a month with your child for the next few years if you were lucky, as well as making a case to pin everything on you.

Caporegime
Role model parenting right there.

If you did that you might get to spend 30 minutes a month with your child for the next few years if you were lucky, as well as making a case to pin everything on you.

Yeah that'd get you arrested and your child in foster care quicker than you could say "keyboard warrior".

Caporegime
and statistically, how likely is a baby p?

Wrong question. The question is not how likely is it that the child has been abused (not very, but cases like Baby P are more common that you'd think) but how likely is abuse given an unexplained pattern of bruising.

The social services make several monumental **** ups and then assume everyone else is as bad as them.

No-one monumentally ****** up in the Baby P case. The fact is that social service is damned if you do, and damned if you don't; add in over-worked, under-paid staff who get thrown under the bus if anything goes wrong; and you have a recipe for disaster. A blue-eyed blond boy was just the thing to cause a tabloid storm. But, as usually happens when there's a problem in a stressed and under-funded service, spineless politicians decided to seek scapegoats rather than come out and bat for the workers they've let down.

Soldato
25 X-rays sounds like a dangerous amount of radiation to expose an 11 month old to in 1 day... I'd be getting an external expert opinion about that from a consultant who knows what he's on about

This is pretty standard skeletal survey.

25 x-rays sounds ridiculous though. x-ray = broken bone? broken bone = child crying nonstop?

The extensive imaging is to examine for old/healed fractures, not necessarily new ones.

Soldato
OP
Just to update you all, the police came round today to take a timeline of events and we’re expecting a Social Services visit early next week.

Apparently the reason for the rapid response is that it’s being treated as a Section 47 incident, so the highest category of risk to a child.

Soldato
Did the radiographic screen demonstrate any other injuries?
Just to update you all, the police came round today to take a timeline of events and we’re expecting a Social Services visit early next week.

Apparently the reason for the rapid response is that it’s being treated as a Section 47 incident, so the highest category of risk to a child.

Soldato
OP
So is anybody from the nursery being investigated and/or questioned or are they just trying to offload the blame onto you, the parents?

The police suggested that official investigations into the nursery should start tomorrow due to SS being closed over the weekend.

Did the radiographic screen demonstrate any other injuries?

The CT was clear and the skeletal xrays should be taking place tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
Any update, scratch?

The skeletal survey took place yesterday and it was all clear. Social Services also visited to assess our home and we passed with flying colours.

The social worker advised that a Section 47 needs to be closed out within 5 days so they’ll now visit the nursery along with the police to interview the staff. If nothing comes of their investigation then it’ll be passed back to the nursery for them to action.

We’re in the process of finding somewhere else to take our daughter; it’s only 2 days a week but understandably it’s proving difficult to find good childcare with the availability we require at such short notice.

Back
Top Bottom