Struggling with RGB

Associate
My motherboard is a Crosshair V Forumla - super old I know but still works great.
I upgraded my computer water cooling and i now use a EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM.

Ek gave me an RGBW cable that looks like this -
d_rgb_adapter_cable_set_1.gt.v1.jpg

Now as far as I am aware, I dont have any header on my motherboard to support RGB.
I took a look at Corsairs Lightning node Pro but I have been unable to find out if it works with non Corsair products. However the lightning node pro controls RGB cables that look like this
71BphaR8HPL.jpg

61mv-FKseeL._SL1500_.jpg

So my questions are
  1. Can my EK's RGB lighting strip work with the lightning node pro
  2. If yes, then what adapter do i need
  3. If no, then how can i make it work with my motherboard
  4. What is the diference between the two difference types of cable.
Thanks for your help!

Permabanned
I don't know if the ek cable was supposed to adapt 4 to 3 or 3 to 4 pin

The cables you linked will all fit together but I don't know if it will work in the way you need it to.

You should buy the xspc part that's made to work the way you need it to.

Soldato
There are two basic standards of RGB:

The older 4-pin style allows an entire device such as a strip or fan to be one colour. The 4 wires typically carry a positive supply (12V), plus grounding signals for Red, Green and Blue. Different manufacturers use different plugs or wire order, but they're electrically compatible.

Then there is addressable RGB, typically using 3 wires. This is a digital communication system which can tell each individual LED which colour to be, meaning you can have movement, spectrum/rainbow effects and more.

The two systems are not naturally compatible so it's best to find a controller for your reservoir as mentioned above.

Soldato
Older boards have 12v non-addressable ports, some 4 or 5 pin. [12v][G][R]{B} or [12v][G][R]{B}[W]

More recent boards also have 5v addressable ports, either 3 or 4 pin [5v][D][G] or [5v][D][-][G]

Non-addressable and addressable (digital) are not interchangeable or adaptable.

The EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB is a 4 pin 12v non addressable [12v][G][R]{B}

The EK-D-RGB Adapter Cable Set converts a 4 pin addressable motherboard header to a 3 pin [5v][D][-][G] to [5v][D][G]

You could use a 12v RGB controller that uses an internal usb header. But it will be limited to the older 12v LED's strips and fans.

Last edited:
Associate
There are two basic standards of RGB:

The older 4-pin style allows an entire device such as a strip or fan to be one colour. The 4 wires typically carry a positive supply (12V), plus grounding signals for Red, Green and Blue. Different manufacturers use different plugs or wire order, but they're electrically compatible.

Then there is addressable RGB, typically using 3 wires. This is a digital communication system which can tell each individual LED which colour to be, meaning you can have movement, spectrum/rainbow effects and more.

The two systems are not naturally compatible so it's best to find a controller for your reservoir as mentioned above.

Just to add that addressable RGB (aRGB) is 5 volts so plugging into a four pin header will blow the device.

The Corsair Lighting Node Pro can support aRGB and standard RGB, just not on the same channel. Realistically I would find an aRGB hub that supports AuraSync.

You could try this for the EKWB:

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cooling-rgb-accessories/rgb-led-controller/

You will need two internal USB connections, one for each ecosystem.

Back
Top Bottom