Should I upgrade and what should I upgrade? 2013 config..

Associate
Hello everyone!
I had much time to think these holidays and i decided to move towards an upgrade.
My doubt is very big
What should i upgrade?
I usually play pubg, overwatch, rainbow six, battlefield (sometimes), fortnite (very few times).
I even produce music with ableton live so audio editing is one of the things i need.

I actually have:
I7-4770
8gb ram ddr3
Stock cooler and stock motherboard from Asus M51AC
Gtx 1060 6gb

I see i can't get 144hz in many games while in pubg i always get fps drop and even in fortnite.
I even get much fps drop in battlefield 1 and even more on bf5.
I play in 1080p (overclocked my monitor to 75hz but i'm getting some flickering) and i plan to buy a new monitor (75hz/144hz)

What should i upgrade?
Is the oldish here the CPU or the GPU that is making me a little bit less "competitive" in these games?
My first thought was waiting for zen 2 and upgrade to a ryzen build but i'm really confused about what can i do actually.

I don't have much money but i'm collecting info in order to start thinking what do to and what to plan.

Associate
Hello everyone!
I had much time to think these holidays and i decided to move towards an upgrade.
My doubt is very big
What should i upgrade?
I usually play pubg, overwatch, rainbow six, battlefield (sometimes), fortnite (very few times).
I even produce music with ableton live so audio editing is one of the things i need.

I actually have:
I7-4770
8gb ram ddr3
Stock cooler and stock motherboard from Asus M51AC
Gtx 1060 6gb

I see i can't get 144hz in many games while in pubg i always get fps drop and even in fortnite.
I even get much fps drop in battlefield 1 and even more on bf5.
I play in 1080p (overclocked my monitor to 75hz but i'm getting some flickering) and i plan to buy a new monitor (75hz/144hz)

What should i upgrade?
Is the oldish here the CPU or the GPU that is making me a little bit less "competitive" in these games?
My first thought was waiting for zen 2 and upgrade to a ryzen build but i'm really confused about what can i do actually.

I don't have much money but i'm collecting info in order to start thinking what do to and what to plan.

It really depends on your budget, the GPU you have should in theory be OK for 1080p gaming and the next meaningful upgrade would be either a Vega 56 or an RTX2060 so £350+. The Asus Strix Vega 64 is a great buy right now at £410.

The CPU side is more challenging as it’s a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM. So realistically you are talking £400+ for that as a minimum.

Zen 2 will be out some time June at Computex.

You could try improving your cooler and try overclocking your CPU?

Associate
OP
My i7-4770 is non k version so i can't overclock it and that's why i do not have an aftermarket cooler.
I was in fact waiting for the ryzen 3 3600x but we got news we'll not see it until this summer.
About the gpu, i always play competitive games so details are always all low, then i think now maybe i can stay with my 1060.
My objective is to play competitive games at 144hz (overwatch, r6 siege, counter strike)

I really don't know if to wait ryzen 3 or just change the block now (cpu, ram, motherboard) with a 9600k + mobo + ram

Associate
My i7-4770 is non k version so i can't overclock it and that's why i do not have an aftermarket cooler.
I was in fact waiting for the ryzen 3 3600x but we got news we'll not see it until this summer.
About the gpu, i always play competitive games so details are always all low, then i think now maybe i can stay with my 1060.
My objective is to play competitive games at 144hz (overwatch, r6 siege, counter strike)

I really don't know if to wait ryzen 3 or just change the block now (cpu, ram, motherboard) with a 9600k + mobo + ram

To be honest you be mad to go with that, you’d be best off with a Ryzen 2600 or 2700 with a decent motherboard, as the 9700K has shown some worrying stuttering and at 1080p you are generally CPU bound.

With the Ryzen 2600 at £150 with an MSI B450I Gaming Pro Carbon AC is the best deal. It’s ITX but available, good quality VRM solution, and with decent RAM will be a good solution.

Man of Honour
For a lot of games not sure the 2600 is going to be a huge upgrade from his 4770 albeit if it isn't overclocked might be a bit more in it.

Back
Top Bottom