• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Soldato
Has anyone got one of those Freesync 2 CHG70 Samsung monitors (27" or 32") with HDR? Someone on reddit said it ghosts above 100FPS with an RTX 2080 but didn't say how obvious it was.

Associate
Looking good for BenQ, got the EX3501R UW here, if i can find out if it works, Turing here i come :)

I've enabled it on mine and it is working on a few benchmarks i've run. Problem is whilst im on the desktop the screen randomly drops to a black screen. If I disable gsync it stops, not too sure if its my dp cable or not but surely adaptive sync doesn't use more bandwidth over the cable?

Edit still get the black screen even when disabled, so a general display port problem im having atm...

Associate
I made a day of it by testing out AMD and Nvidia cards with both the Samsung 27CHG70 and the Samsung CFG73.

I used the EVGA RTX 2070 Ultra and a Sapphire RX580 and compared both VRR performance.

I am very surprised and pleased to say that the 2070 linked with the 27CHG70 performed slightly better than 580 using Freesync.
It was very close but a couple of us could feel it being ever so slightly smoother in some games but we couldn't figure out why even when locked at the same fps.

Games that had flickering during loading screens on Freesync with the 580 also had flickering on the 2070 but not in gameplay on both.
Using V-sync on in the Nvidia control panel gave a better result too. Couldn't get the same results with the AMD card.

Gears 4 would enable HDR even though the game doesn't have HDR with the AMD card resulting in the wrong colour space with Freesync enabled.
This didn't happen on the Nvidia card with the same monitor.

Destiny 2 and The Division wouldn't play correctly with Freesync but did with the 2070.
The Forza games performed great on both.

Ghost Recon Wildlands played much better on the 2070 at the same fps when tweaked.

The Samsung CHG70 is a fine monitor but when it comes to adaptive sync, the ghosting could be a problem on frames lower than 80-90.
Above that it doesn't show up as much and some game engines like the Tomb Raider one with a lot of grey colour can pose an issue.

But as far as I am concerned, Nvidia cards are working great for me with my Freesync monitors.

No black screens or funky behaviour to report.:D

Associate
Has anyone got one of those Freesync 2 CHG70 Samsung monitors (27" or 32") with HDR? Someone on reddit said it ghosts above 100FPS with an RTX 2080 but didn't say how obvious it was.
The 27 and the 32 are not the same.

The 32 is not flicker free but the 27 is if I remember correctly. The ghosting is not always visible but increases as the fps decreases.

Above 100 fps it's pretty good.

Soldato
I made a day of it by testing out AMD and Nvidia cards with both the Samsung 27CHG70 and the Samsung CFG73.

I used the EVGA RTX 2070 Ultra and a Sapphire RX580 and compared both VRR performance.

I am very surprised and pleased to say that the 2070 linked with the 27CHG70 performed slightly better than 580 using Freesync.
It was very close but a couple of us could feel it being ever so slightly smoother in some games but we couldn't figure out why even when locked at the same fps.

Games that had flickering during loading screens on Freesync with the 580 also had flickering on the 2070 but not in gameplay on both.
Using V-sync on in the Nvidia control panel gave a better result too. Couldn't get the same results with the AMD card.

Gears 4 would enable HDR even though the game doesn't have HDR with the AMD card resulting in the wrong colour space with Freesync enabled.
This didn't happen on the Nvidia card with the same monitor.

Destiny 2 and The Division wouldn't play correctly with Freesync but did with the 2070.
The Forza games performed great on both.

Ghost Recon Wildlands played much better on the 2070 at the same fps when tweaked.

The Samsung CHG70 is a fine monitor but when it comes to adaptive sync, the ghosting could be a problem on frames lower than 80-90.
Above that it doesn't show up as much and some game engines like the Tomb Raider one with a lot of grey colour can pose an issue.

But as far as I am concerned, Nvidia cards are working great for me with my Freesync monitors.

No black screens or funky behaviour to report.:D
That's good thank you, have you tried HDR on both the AMD and Nvidia card and does Freesync still work properly in that mode? Also, what do you think of HDR on this monitor? I've never seen HDR myself so I was wondering whether it really makes a difference. Have you tried enhanced sync on the AMD card?

By the way, the flickering on loading screens happens on Gsync too, it's just a side effect of how the technology works and is completely normal.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've enabled it on mine and it is working on a few benchmarks i've run. Problem is whilst im on the desktop the screen randomly drops to a black screen. If I disable gsync it stops, not too sure if its my dp cable or not but surely adaptive sync doesn't use more bandwidth over the cable?

Edit still get the black screen even when disabled, so a general display port problem im having atm...

Thanks for that, looks like a Ti could be incoming :D

Soldato
The 27 and the 32 are not the same.

The 32 is not flicker free but the 27 is if I remember correctly. The ghosting is not always visible but increases as the fps decreases.

Above 100 fps it's pretty good.
Right, that make sense. I think they meant to say 'below' not 'above'.

Associate
Gave it a go on my Iiyama GB2760QSU and it seems to be working OK, at least it is adjusting the refresh rate for framerates under 144fps. Will monitor during actual gameplay.

One gotcha to watch out for, when i first installed the driver I didn't have gsync available as an option in the Nvidia control panel, it was only enabled after I enabled Freesync on the monitor first before opening control panel.
Yep I had to do the same

Associate
Not sure its working on my hp envy 27s 4k monitor, infact I would say it prob isn't as seemed to cause more noticeable tears with it on than it did with it off :(

Associate
I have the C27HG70 set to ultimate with a 1080Ti. Tried Destiny 2 with HDR on and I get over 100 FPS. Nothing noticeable to me, but then I cannot see the smearing that everyone says this panel suffers from, so maybe I am not the best one to know about this!

Back
Top Bottom