Big, Purple and (Slightly) Overkill Editing Rig

Associate
Good evening,

So firstly, this build is complete, I just have to split the post into Part One and then some extras to fit all the pictures in...

Secondly, this is my first build in a while and my first ever watercooling loop and seeing as it's already installed (and working), please go easy on me!

Thirdly, a massive thank you to the magnificent Adrian Austin of Overclockers for spending much time on the phone with me while I decided what to buy and for letting me bounce ideas off him and giving great advice. A true Gentleman.

An Introduction:

This build is a new video editing rig for the artist I work with, as the current machine (iMac 2017) is no longer up to the task of 4K editing and has developed many weird and wonderful bugs which make me want to throw it out of the window. So the Mac is going to stay on as a production machine for music (for now) and this is going to be the new video editing rig. The aim is, make it epic and make it pretty so it looks good in the studio.

Parts:

To make one thing clear from the start, I cheated slightly. I bought a pre overclocked bundle from Overclockers UK to save both time and due to the fact that these are expensive parts and it's not a personal project, i.e. Someone else is paying! Difficult to explain that I broke it by being an idiot and we have to replace parts... But anyway:

Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme

Intel i9-7940x (running at 4.6Ghz)

32Gb Memory

Corsair 1000d Case

Corsair HX1200i Power Supply

Samsung 970 Pro m.2 500Gb

WD Black 3Tb HDD

Asus ROG Strix Advanced RTX 2080ti

Noctua NF-F12 Industrial for the Rad

Noctua NF-A14 Industrial for the case

EKWB Watercooling -Extreme 360 Kit

CableMod Custom Purple and White throughout

D66foef.jpg

xuDH2Ab.jpg

ZPyWQeO.jpg

lLqaMY1.jpg

KKhgNiM.jpg

Part Two to follow with build pictures etc...

Thanks for reading,

Joe

P.S. Any questions, leave them below and I'll answer...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
And here is part two:

I'm progress, test fittings, final fittings, watercooling stuff... And purple cables. And remember, if you're not thrilled with my cable management, the 1000D has doors on the back which do a lovely job of hiding all of it!

A side note: the coolant is Mayhems Ice Dragon Nano Fluid.

EWRvfus.jpg

Rb5RSFr.jpg

55guUKI.jpg

kiB10lK.jpg

TDb6OFN.jpg

zx3qxSg.jpg

pC4o984.jpg

Joe

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Final Part:

The best pictures I have of the finished build - impossible to get a decent picture through the side panel (with my phone at least) but as I'm sure you can tell - it's very purple. Everything went remarkably smoothly with no major issues other than the usual minor teething problems. Got all the RGB synced up and everything installed and it's running Adobe Premiere Pro 2018. Even connecting directly to the NAS and getting audio running through the system was easy.

I do keep breaking fan headers on the Commander Pro though and they're disappearing one by one from the iCue software... If anyone knows why this could be, please let me know!

So enough rambling from me, I hope you approve of the new system and drop any questions below.

Thanks,

Joe

eSFBVCt.jpg

VOZgMsZ.jpg

rLY6m6B.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys, I'm not sure what happened there. They were showing when I posted it :confused: Should be fixed now though, I hope you can see them!

Joe

Soldato
Thank you! Really pleased with those - first time using CableMod and really happy!

Joe

Don’t you find the motherboard tray in the 1000D of exceptionally low quality compared to the rest? All that internal stuff is crazy flimsy in my opinion, mines been gutted internally and at the powder coaters but I reckon I’ll make a custom thicker aluminium tray rather than the one it comes with...

Also I see you have the 140s in the top, if you have some time do me a favour and just confirm two of them do not fit in the rear exhaust as the 140mm slots are out by a few mm?

Associate
OP
Don’t you find the motherboard tray in the 1000D of exceptionally low quality compared to the rest? All that internal stuff is crazy flimsy in my opinion, mines been gutted internally and at the powder coaters but I reckon I’ll make a custom thicker aluminium tray rather than the one it comes with...

Also I see you have the 140s in the top, if you have some time do me a favour and just confirm two of them do not fit in the rear exhaust as the 140mm slots are out by a few mm?

I wasn't actually too unimpressed with the quality internally. The only thing that felt really flimsy to me was the hard drive sleds that felt like they might snap when you push the tabs in.

And you're right, they are all 140's but I hadn't actually tried them in the back. I'll have to have a try next time I'm playing around inside.

Finally, the only issue I have which is a real problem is the Commander Pro is still blowing fan headers so I'm now waiting on a response from Corsair. Even though Overclockers stock the part, they don't stock it as a replacement for a case so won't send me one -_-

Joe

Associate
OP
Lovely clean build, well done!........but in two weeks from now you'll be thinking "I wonder if there's a waterblock for this gpu?"

Thank you!

And I've already been thinking that, don't worry! Luckily, I'm in no rush to drain the loop so that's not on the cards just yet... maybe next year haha!

Joe

Soldato
I wasn't actually too unimpressed with the quality internally. The only thing that felt really flimsy to me was the hard drive sleds that felt like they might snap when you push the tabs in.

And you're right, they are all 140's but I hadn't actually tried them in the back. I'll have to have a try next time I'm playing around inside.

Finally, the only issue I have which is a real problem is the Commander Pro is still blowing fan headers so I'm now waiting on a response from Corsair. Even though Overclockers stock the part, they don't stock it as a replacement for a case so won't send me one -_-

Joe

Well i've drilled out the insides entirely, most people remove that drive bay as its a bit of an inconvenient space. The bays are flimsy plastic yes, if you removed the board tray you would see how utterly flimsy it is ;)

Strange the commander is killing fans, the part is a 1000D branded commander pro, i've got a second one for my install so will keep an eye on it. I'm just curious on the 140 dual rear mount as my fans do not align so i've drilled a few new holes to fix that ;)

Associate
OP
Well i've drilled out the insides entirely, most people remove that drive bay as its a bit of an inconvenient space. The bays are flimsy plastic yes, if you removed the board tray you would see how utterly flimsy it is ;)

Strange the commander is killing fans, the part is a 1000D branded commander pro, i've got a second one for my install so will keep an eye on it. I'm just curious on the 140 dual rear mount as my fans do not align so i've drilled a few new holes to fix that ;)

To be fair, I wasn't keen on hacking too many parts to pieces as it was a build for someone else, although I am using the most out of everyone :D I'll have a check on those fans at some point, I wonder if they're all like that?

Associate
OP
Looks great! That is one huge case. :eek:

How are you finding the Ice Dragon fluid, does it reduce temps and is it easy to work with?

I'm really pleased with it, my idle temp on the CPU is about 28c running a 4.6Ghz 8Pack Overclock. I was warned the only potential issue can come if you use a large tube res because it takes a fast pump speed to shift it and keep it mixed. The danger is it starts to separate in the res if the pump isn't running hard enough. In my small tube res though, I've had no problem at all.

Joe

Soldato
To be fair, I wasn't keen on hacking too many parts to pieces as it was a build for someone else, although I am using the most out of everyone :D I'll have a check on those fans at some point, I wonder if they're all like that?

Is it those Noctua? Possibly something in that not compatible but who knows... I have about 30 noiseblockers in pairs going in mine so hopefully not the controllers :D

Back
Top Bottom