*** Sky Q Thread ***

Associate
Anybody having a problem with ITV 2 HD? (118). Screen says no satellite signal or technical fault. Been like it for last 48 hours. I can get ITV 2 no problem. In fact, after skipping through nearly all the channels, the only other channel with the same message is 'Keep it country' (376). Signal is locked with quality at 90% Tried to call sky but they are having technical issues of there own. The phone lines are not working properly. The advice given was call back tomorrow.

Man of Honour
Is a Sky experience subscription, as well as a Sky Q 2TB box required for access to 4k UHD content?

The Sky Store implies a Sky experience subscription is required by say unlock 4K UHD with one.

Caporegime
Is a Sky experience subscription, as well as a Sky Q 2TB box required for access to 4k UHD content?

The Sky Store implies a Sky experience subscription is required by say unlock 4K UHD with one.

the sub gives you another box in another room (HD only) so you get 4K plus all the channels in another room for £12 a month. IMO that is a good deal. I need it in another room anyway.

Man of Honour
Thanks.

We don't need a second box now, so not willing to pay £12 for the privalige of watching content that's locked behind further subscription services like movies and sport. Plus the £220 for the boxes themselves.

Soldato

No to unlock sky tvs 4k content you need the 2tb box and a multiroom sub for £12 in my case having only an aerial in the living room it's good value as I now have TV in all the bedrooms.

Ultimate on demand brings Netflix and access to sky's boxsets which is a separate sub for £10 the flip side of this is that it gives access to the top tier Netflix sub for half price and again brings Netflix to all the boxes. So again I now have Netflix in all the bedrooms.

I believe the experience sub is all the above in one.

Man of Honour
No to unlock sky tvs 4k content you need the 2tb box and a multiroom sub for £12 in my case having only an aerial in the living room it's good value as I now have TV in all the bedrooms.

Ultimate on demand brings Netflix and access to sky's boxsets which is a separate sub for £10 the flip side of this is that it gives access to the top tier Netflix sub for half price and again brings Netflix to all the boxes. So again I now have Netflix in all the bedrooms.

I believe the experience sub is all the above in one.

Sky experience is what multiroom is now called.

So either way it's £12 a month plus a 2TB Sky Q box to enable access to 4k in the first place. Then as you said £10 for boxsets and Netflix or a sport or movie subscription on top.

The main problem with 4k TV boxes is a lack of content. I've had a Virgin V6 4k box for two years and it's only been in the last few months there's actually been any 4k content to watch. Which is BT Sport and a single Virgin channel recycling content that's been on Prime or Netflix for ages.

Soldato
Sky experience is what multiroom is now called.

So either way it's £12 a month plus a 2TB Sky Q box to enable access to 4k in the first place. Then as you said £10 for boxsets and Netflix or a sport or movie subscription on top.

The main problem with 4k TV boxes is a lack of content. I've had a Virgin V6 4k box for two years and it's only been in the last few months there's actually been any 4k content to watch. Which is BT Sport and a single Virgin channel recycling content that's been on Prime or Netflix for ages.

I assume you mean broadcast 4k content via the V6 box as I have no idea what virgin offer as it's not available in my area.

Between prime, Netflix, Sky and my Apple 4k box I find that there is a wealth of 4k content. However the lack of HDR on Sky really let's it down, those shots of the Canadian rockies on Tin Star are good in 4K but would have been better with the addition of HDR.

Its also whether the content is appealing to the viewer.

Soldato
Still no idea of dates or pricing yet I'm afraid.
Hi MissChief - I looked on my SkyQ 2TB box and there is BTSports channels on there, do I have to subscribe via BT to add these channels or via Sky? Mother in law is paying £15 for casting so trying to see if there is a cheaper more simpler option for her

EDIT:
Sorry just read its via BT and will cost £20 for activation and £20 per month for 12 months, still £60 more than she is currently paying, hopefully Sky will get their fingers out ..

Thanks

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've said this a few times. Unless sky drop the ridiculous charge of multi-room for people that don't want it , then I'm NEVER coming back.

Will stick with nowtv and being able to cancel when I want.
The only reason you need Sky Q Multiscreen (now being renamed 'The Sky Q Experience')is if you want to watch in UHD. Other than that there's no demand or requirement to have it if you're happy with a single box?

Caporegime
I've said this a few times. Unless sky drop the ridiculous charge of multi-room for people that don't want it , then I'm NEVER coming back.

Will stick with nowtv and being able to cancel when I want.

as above. you don't need to order it. plus it's only £12 per month. to watch everything in another room plus UHD/Atmos on the main box.

the fact a single movie in UHD costs like £20-30 on blu ray it's a good deal. people pay £18 a month for a cinema pass. so £12 per month isn't a huge expense.

it's not cheap but it isn't expensive either. it also isn't a necessity. the difference between 4k and HD isn't that big.

Associate
Yea , but I want uhd. I'm a single guy . I don't need multiscreen. So why should I be forced to pay £12 for it ?
Because that is the ‘Sky way’ just as it was for HD back in the day. I view the fee as purely the cost for 4K (as do Sky really hence the name change to Sky Q Experience vs Multiroom), with that bonus that I’ve got a spare mini box sat here if I ever want to use it. There are a couple of other bonuses too, such as concurrent streaming to more devices.

Whether there is enough quality 4K content to warrant the fee is another matter, and I’d argue it probably isn’t good value without HDR support at the moment.

Soldato
Because that is the ‘Sky way’ just as it was for HD back in the day. I view the fee as purely the cost for 4K (as do Sky really hence the name change to Sky Q Experience vs Multiroom), with that bonus that I’ve got a spare mini box sat here if I ever want to use it. There are a couple of other bonuses too, such as concurrent streaming to more devices.

Whether there is enough quality 4K content to warrant the fee is another matter, and I’d argue it probably isn’t good value without HDR support at the moment.

No it’s not the same. Multi screen on the old system was extra. They’ve now hidden it under the uhd banner. And you also have to pay for HD still , which is a joke.

For a single use person , you get shafted.

Caporegime
No it’s not the same. Multi screen on the old system was extra. They’ve now hidden it under the uhd banner. And you also have to pay for HD still , which is a joke.

For a single use person , you get shafted.

We have several thousand customers who still have Digiboxes and Sky+ boxes and no amount of free HD box upgrades has, so far, enticed them into upgrading. They have no use for HD at all. Should they be forced into paying extra for a service they can't use and don't want?

If you want 4k on Netflix you have to pay Extra. Sky are no different.

Back
Top Bottom