• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Apple locks NVidia GPUs out of new operating system Mojave

Soldato
So, performance was affected in a single driver, and Nvidia subsequently rectified the issue. How is that gimping drivers? That's a software bug.

Its the timing of the gimp that you seemingly can't comprehend. The 1080ti was tested against the 2080 on these drivers. The 2080 was made to look better in reviews because the 1080ti was downgraded in that driver. Was it a coincidence that the ti was up to 15% slower in some games in reviews due to this driver or was it on purpose to make the 2080 look good in reviews. That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Soldato
Was it a coincidence that the ti was up to 15% slower in some games in reviews due to this driver

To be honest, probably. What you are talking about isn't evidence of a Gimping campaign; it's confirmation bias at best.

The cards still exist, as do the games, as does every driver. It wouldn't be difficult to prove conclusively, if it had actually happened. If this isolated anecdotal event is enough for you, then you want to be convinced of it. Simple as that.

Soldato
To be honest, probably. What you are talking about isn't evidence of a Gimping campaign; it's confirmation bias at best.

The cards still exist, as do the games, as does every driver. It wouldn't be difficult to prove conclusively, if it had actually happened. If this isolated anecdotal event is enough for you, then you want to be convinced of it. Simple as that.

So you are telling me that its not in Nvidia's best interest for there new cards to look good against there old especially on release. This driver just happened to be the review driver where performance dropped and either side of reviews the 1080ti was performing better. I do believe in coincidences but this was to good to be true IMO. Unless you are zipped up the back you have to find this very convenient for Nvidia.

Soldato
So you are telling me that its not in Nvidia's best interest for there new cards to look good against there old especially on release. This driver just happened to be the review driver where performance dropped and either side of reviews the 1080ti was performing better. I do believe in coincidences but this was to good to be true IMO. Unless you are zipped up the back you have to find this very convenient for Nvidia.

The 2080 isn't the only card ever to have been released. Did this happen when other cards where released? Every time? Any time?

Where's the pattern, where's the evidence? It should all be easy to prove, just name the card that was "gimped" and the driver that did it. Anyone could roll the driver back and see it.

It would literally be that easy.

Permabanned
The 2080 isn't the only card ever to have been released. Did this happen when other cards where released? Every time? Any time?

Where's the pattern, where's the evidence? It should all be easy to prove, just name the card that was "gimped" and the driver that did it. Anyone could roll the driver back and see it.

Test your GTX 1080 Ti with 376.33 WHQL and then with 417.71 WHQL.
Crysis 3, Battlefield 1, 3DMark.

Soldato

Never looked into it tbf. Only reason I did this time is because a 1080ti ocuk user brought it up and I had some spare time. If it never happened before big deal. It happened this launch and you can't do this every launch or it becomes a pattern. If you create a pattern you get found out eventually. You believe what you want though and I will continue to believe its to convenient not to be meant.

Soldato
Never looked into it tbf. Only reason I did this time is because a 1080ti ocuk user brought it up and I had some spare time. If it never happened before big deal. It happened this launch and you can't do this every launch or it becomes a pattern. If you create a pattern you get found out eventually. You believe what you want though and I will continue to believe its to convenient not to be meant.

That's a bizarre statement to make. As far as I'm concerned, it's not about believing anything; it's about actual evidence of a company employing a shady practice to gain an edge. It's about facts.

Conversation over as far as I'm concerned.

Associate
All this proves is that what Apple wants what Apple gets. It doesn't really seem like you ever own an apple product considering how much Apple have control over it - even to the point of slowing them down.

Soldato
Was waiting that reply. They also for the most part fully explain their testing so it is possible to reproduce - there might well be some bias with some of them and/or avoiding areas to show a product in a better light but when they do straight up tests like this if they fudged the numbers other people would be very quick to pick them up on it.
Come on. You know better than this. The more honest tech reviews get blacklisted by companies and get refused review hardware if their reviews aren't positive enough.

It's indirect bribing because these reviewers rely on the sample hardware to produce their vidoes and earn an income.

I know you often feel compelled to defend nVidia, but you can't be this blind and blinkered, surely?

Man of Honour
Come on. You know better than this. The more honest tech reviews get blacklisted by companies and get refused review hardware if their reviews aren't positive enough.

It's indirect bribing because these reviewers rely on the sample hardware to produce their vidoes and earn an income.

I know you often feel compelled to defend nVidia, but you can't be this blind and blinkered, surely?

As I said when it comes to things like cumulative driver testing their data is usually published for anyone to check themselves and would have been pulled up on it long ago if they were fudging it unlike product reviews, etc. where they can come at it from an angle to show something in its best light.

Soldato

The evidence is there and it's plain to see. Some people just don't want to see what's straight in front of them. Rroff admits he has a Nvidia bias and he said he would not be surprised if that's what happened. It can't be proven but sometimes you got to go on the evidence and that driver could not have gimped the 1080ti performance at a more opertune time for Nvidia. Yea they gave the performance back so no harm done for 1080ti users. Ohh and i am not saying that Nvidia have started gimping the 1080ti at this moment as i see no evidence yet but i do believe they did gimp it for 2080 reviews.

Associate
This is why Apples stocks have been dropping

Do you actually have a source for this as to “the” reason why..? Sounds like a wild claim to me compared to what’s actually being reported in all the media outlets.

Caporegime
Do you actually have a source for this as to “the” reason why..? Sounds like a wild claim to me compared to what’s actually being reported in all the media outlets.

I was a little short on details,. I never meant to imply one single action is the reason, but the behaviour of Apple over the last years exemplified by actions such as blocking Nvidia GPUs is part of a consistent series of mistakes on Apples part that are seeing sales dwindle, opinion decline and shares to drop.

The first step in their direction was when they dropped Apple maps for TomTom and ended up being the laughing stock of smartphones for a good 12 months. They put ideology over product and technology.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interestingly, nvidia and Apple both use the same practices, so naturally they should be allies... why they are not is very intriguing :D
If there were doing a merger or a buy out (like how Apple acquired Beats) then may be yes, but not when trying to strikeout a deal; try to get 2 alpha males to work together just ain't gonna work, but both of them want it all :p

Associate
I was a little short on details,. I never meant to imply one single action is the reason, but the behaviour of Apple over the last years exemplified by actions such as blocking Nvidia GPUs is part of a consistent series of mistakes on Apples part that are seeing sales dwindle, opinion decline and shares to drop.

The first step in their direction was when they dropped Apple maps for TomTom and ended up being the laughing stock of smartphones for a good 12 months. They put ideology over product and technology.

The way that post is worded clearly implies a single action whether intended or not, hence you having to explain your actual intention in much greater (albeit fluffy) detail. Would be cool if you could go back and edit your original post to save other forum users being misled too.

By the way, regarding a source of all these statements, there is no information nor any media outlet reporting in the last 12 months that Apple shares have dropped due to any “blocking” of Nvidia GPU’s nor “dwindling” sales directly attributable to their choice of whether to support or include Nvidia GPU’s in their products. I would be extremely happy to be proven wrong, with reputable source of course.

Back
Top Bottom