ncase m1 vs raijintec metis plus

Associate
Looking to build a small system, and narrowed it down to this pair of cases. Basically I'm after a small but nice looking case to house the following...

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £815.56 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Needs to fit one 3.5 drive, and probably one 2.5, maybe two. Both cases will.

Will be at stock speed, though might ramp the ram speed up. Ram not on the list as can't decide which 32Gb setup to go with, oc seem to be pretty much out of stock of everything. Thinking longer term, I'm likely to upgrade to a ryzen 3xxx, so might have a bit more cpu tdp to deal with.

Really I'm just looking for opinions on both cases, though welcome system critique too ;)

Cheers,

Soldato
Had the styx, the bigger version of the metis, the thermals were terrible even on water. Not much clearance from the floor to PSU so that will be loud even at idle.

Associate
OP
@crgnclsn, The system is for s/w dev. So high end cpu with plenty of grunt, lots of ram for that. The gpu needs to support 3 monitors, at least one (more in the future) will be 4k. Wont ever game on it, just the dev and net/office use etc. So no 3d requirement.

@momo, I thought that might be the case, hence a efficient, quiet psu. The gpu is v low power. The cpu should be idling most of the time, with intermittent bouts of fury, but most of the time idle. So overall hoping the thermals shouldn't be too demanding.

Soldato
@momo, I thought that might be the case, hence a efficient, quiet psu. The gpu is v low power. The cpu should be idling most of the time, with intermittent bouts of fury, but most of the time idle. So overall hoping the thermals shouldn't be too demanding.

I've had quite a few builds in that case, used an ax850 (gold), sf600 (gold), prime 1000 (platinum) and they all had the same issue. Just not enough clearance from the floor.

I guess if you're dead set on the metis you could get a fanless psu, although if you plan on upgrading a gpu in the future make sure the length on the psu is under 155mm if the card extends past the motherboard.

Associate
OP
Yep, many of the reviews talk about poor air flow, especially in the original metis (non-plus) version. Much of this looks like it caused by the case fan blowing the wrong direction by default, and being cured by reversing it. So gives the impression that airflow wasn't given much thought.

Absolutely no plans to upgrade the gpu, so that wont be an issue. But do plan on getting a future ryzen at some point. Though that probably wont change TDP much.

Thanks for the input.

Soldato
I've got a cheap system in the original Metis, mostly built for my son to play minecraft. Full sized non-modular PSU, as it's one I had laying around. Given the cramped conditions, I'd opt for an SFX PSU if I was buying it all new. Maybe Modular would be ok though, trouble is you'd still have the long cables. It's a nice little case.

Associate
OP
@Kurgen, thanks for that. Yep, had looked at it. But ruled it out as being too big. It's massive in comparison to the Metis Plus. Really looking for something small.

Back
Top Bottom