Big Screen Sizes Smart TVs

Associate
What are your thoughts with huge tvs/ home theater tv sizes such as Samsung's The Wall or Evervue's 110 inches Cinema Smart TV? Do you think the picture quality won't suffer on this kind of tv sizes?

Man of Honour
This is nothing new. Back on '05-'06, Panasonic launched a 102" screen. It was 1080p res.

All that has changed is prices are lower, screen res is up, and the gap between the screen size of these monsters and the average-sized living room TV has shrunk.

There are people about who want a projector-sized image but without the light-control issues. If they have the room size and the disposable income, then why not?

If ever there was a time for these super-sized screens, it's now.

Source material res' is no longer a barrier: We go to the cinema and watch 4K on a vast screen and the picture quality holds up fine. Okay, legacy SD is still around, but with subscription TV nearly all that's worth watching is available in HD 1080i. Also, the cost of a true 4K UHD home cinema projector is still north of £5K. (I'm talking about the ones that have three full-UHD res' chips, not the ones pseudo-4K UHD tech starting at £1500.) Add the screen, cabling, install cost and the rest of the paraphernalia and suddenly the really big telly starts to make some sense from a certain perspective. Don't forget too, it's a hell of a talking point when friends and neighbours come to visit :D

We live in an aspirationAl society. A 3-bed detached can cost half a million quid. Folk drive Audis, BMs, Mercs, Jags and Range Rovers instead of the Fords, Vauxhalls and Peugeots of my parent's generation. No-one bats an eyelid anymore when a colleague whips out the latest £1000 iPhone or says they're off to New York for the weekend.

I remember selling early generation plasma screens almost 20 years ago. SD resolution, 42" NECs and Thomsons for £7k. Five to six years later, 42" was £1000. When the 102" launched it was £80,000 and needed 4 men and a HIAB crane for delivery.

Caporegime
What are your thoughts with huge tvs/ home theater tv sizes such as Samsung's The Wall or Evervue's 110 inches Cinema Smart TV? Do you think the picture quality won't suffer on this kind of tv sizes?

what are your thoughts?

no it won't suffer because they are making the panels smaller and just joining them up. so it's like having 10 small tv's with no bezels all hooked up to one another.

if anything by going down this route quality should increase as they only have to make 1 panel and then multiples of that panel make any size of tv desired. so they can focus everything into making 1 panel rather than 100's of different panels.

tv technology is improving at a very fast rate now. competition is high. the next 10 years will be HUGE we will see all sorts of stuff being thrown at us. we've had VR, ATMOS, HDR, FALD, OLED and 4K all recently. so it's picking up pace.

Soldato
I agree somewhat with the large TV screen making practical and economical sense now.

However there is something filmic, relaxing on the eye which projection provides. Eventually the cinema will be a large self emissive display, it's already being trialled around the world.
It will have perfect blacks and better everything, but as for it being necessarily more enjoyable is something we don't know.

Associate
OP
what are your thoughts?

no it won't suffer because they are making the panels smaller and just joining them up. so it's like having 10 small tv's with no bezels all hooked up to one another.

if anything by going down this route quality should increase as they only have to make 1 panel and then multiples of that panel make any size of tv desired. so they can focus everything into making 1 panel rather than 100's of different panels.

tv technology is improving at a very fast rate now. competition is high. the next 10 years will be HUGE we will see all sorts of stuff being thrown at us. we've had VR, ATMOS, HDR, FALD, OLED and 4K all recently. so it's picking up pace.

Ohhh I see. Thanks. Guess, it is just painful for pockets and homes. LOL

Back
Top Bottom