The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
One of the most stressful parts of everything for me has been doing the funds transfers on online banking - did one for 45k last week, have never checked something was correct so many times in my bloody life, got to do another 30 odd K tomorrow and am dreading it already! Do most people go to branch for this crap or do it themselves when sending money to the solicitors?

:D
I had similar self doubts when transferring money to the solicitors. Must have checked the details half a dozen times before I clicked send. Double checked a few times afterwards too for good measure

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
One of the most stressful parts of everything for me has been doing the funds transfers on online banking - did one for 45k last week, have never checked something was correct so many times in my bloody life, got to do another 30 odd K tomorrow and am dreading it already! Do most people go to branch for this crap or do it themselves when sending money to the solicitors?
I always send them a small random amount under £1 and get them to read the amount back to me for verification. At this point you have the payee set up and know that it is working. Saves any fretting...:)

Soldato
I always send them a small random amount under £1 and get them to read the amount back to me for verification. At this point you have the payee set up and know that it is working. Saves any fretting...:)

Exactly this. Set them up as a normal 'payee', test transfer in advance and confirm the amount with them to confirm that details are correct before sending the big transfer.
Worth doing in advance, bit gives peace of mind vs blind-transferring huge sums!

Soldato
About week or so ago I found out my solicitor haven't yet recieved the contract from sellers solicitor....

I had to chase the estate agent which is selling the house and they were unaware of this....
Several phone calls and emails later works out their solicitors sent the contract to the wrong place....

I guess if I never bothered bothering everyone it would take even longer for them to do it themselves.:o
There's a very strong possibility the estate agents gave them the wrong information. Memorandums of sale are rarely 100% correct whether it's an error in someone's name, wrong address for solicitors or heck even wrong firm of solicitors

Soldato
I did this even though it was transferring to the firm I work for and I know the details by heart! Amazing how many people are so nonchalant about it all and send 6 figures straight up without a test payment. I guess they have a desire to be on the front page of a tabloid when it all goes pear shaped?

Soldato
Looks like we are all good for Friday now, deposit, stamp duty and all fees paid today, just waiting for first direct to transfer remaining funds. Going to be an intense weekend to move all our stuff hopefully!

Associate
There's a very strong possibility the estate agents gave them the wrong information. Memorandums of sale are rarely 100% correct whether it's an error in someone's name, wrong address for solicitors or heck even wrong firm of solicitors
I just though being that they are solicitors they would be accurate but then again, mistakes gappen:p

Looks like we are all good for Friday now, deposit, stamp duty and all fees paid today, just waiting for first direct to transfer remaining funds. Going to be an intense weekend to move all our stuff hopefully!
Thats nice problems to have!

Caporegime
How big is the house? And what's the price of the carpet?

We got a quote for a 4 bed 3 storey at £6.5k.

80 meters of £20 per sq m carpet and some amtico in kitchen and hallway.

Was not expecting that high either

3 bed, carpet on stairs and 1st floor, excluding bathroom and en suite.
Ground floor will all be quickstep.

Ground
Kitchen / Dining 3.4m x 6.5m
Lounge 3.4m x 5.5m
Study 2.8m x 2.8m
Wc 1.4m x 2m

1st
Bedroom 1 (double) 2.9m x 4.9m
Ensuite 1.7m x 1.9m
Bedroom 2 (double) 3.4m x 3.5m
Bedroom 3 (double) 3.4m x 4.5m
Bathroom 1.9m x 2.2m

So that is 100 square meters for rooms, plus whatever the ground hallway, stairs, and landing are.

Associate
We have recieved what I believe is to be conveyancing paperwork, outlining out land boundaries, what sellers are leaving behind etc...
If we happy with all the paperwork, how long does it normally take from this stage to exchange?
I don't see what else they might be doing for another 6-8 weeks that was "rought process time".

Thanks.

Soldato
We have recieved what I believe is to be conveyancing paperwork, outlining out land boundaries, what sellers are leaving behind etc...
If we happy with all the paperwork, how long does it normally take from this stage to exchange?
I don't see what else they might be doing for another 6-8 weeks that was "rought process time".

Thanks.

6-8 weeks is par for the course. It depends a lot on your situation and that of the seller. If there's a chain it can take a long time. If it's straightforward it can happen in a couple of weeks. The house buying process in England is a nightmare.

Associate
Finally some good news o my house. After almost a year since it went on the market following a split with my Ex, then buying her out, and choosing a new Estate Agent at the end of last year, I have a sale of the house and reserved my new place last night. Going from a 3 bed detached with separate garage to a 4 bed with built in garage, with a garden 3 times the size.

Same estate, just the other side, its already built and has the options picked, so I've got the builder to give me a 5% deposit gift, flooring package throughout the house, and fence / turf in the rear garden. Super excited for this.

Chain is Me, my buyer, and their buyer who are 1st timers. Should be a nice quick chain, and a fairly fast process. Mortgage is coming in at around £820 a month which is about £150 than I was previously paying.

Associate
our house move seems to be taking forever, we sold in december and we have only just received the reports back from what the current owners are leaving in the house.

we have also been asked some odd questions from the buyers of ours solicitors which is causing more slow down...

Hope everything sorts itself out quickly as bored of waiting to move house now!

Soldato
As a first time seller I've got a situation brewing which I could do with some advice on.

We have seen a property that we like, which took us by surprise a little as we weren't on the market at that point, we decided to give it a go and chase the property as we didnt really have anything to lose. We settled on an estate agent who took photos on a Saturday, was on Rightmove on the Sunday and by Monday afternoon we had 5 viewings booked with one rather eager for that evening. Lovely couple, first time buyer who came across very positive, asking if they could return with parents the following day, which I agreed to. The next morning the estate agent said that they would like to offer asking price on the condition a successful viewing from the parents perspective that night, followed by an email in the afternoon saying that they will progress regardless of the evenings viewing.

On the Friday the second set of parents came over to view, this time the girls parents. It has been clear all along that it solely the lad who is going to be purchasing. This seemed to go okay, although the mother enjoyed highlighting that she has a portfolio of properties.

Nothing happened in the following week other than me starting the process of purchase with our house and moving things forwards, as well as committing money. Late last Friday afternoon we get an email from the estate agent stating that they have some minor concerns on paint etc which I have corrected, as well as stating that they want the kitchen shed and expensive light fittings from the lounge and hallway, which we have already made clear we aren't leaving behind. We are however leaving wooden slatted blinds, curtains curtain poles and integrated appliances. This call was made by the girlfriends mum.

It's to a point now where I'm being stubborn and not budging on giving the extra items as I don't want to be pushed around. It's to a point now where they are considering if they want to proceed. I do think its gamesman ship and tomorrow he will either back down or try to call my bluff and pull out, to which I have instructed the estate agent if that happens then they are to be made aware that I will not entertain any other conversation or offer from them.

Am I cutting my nose off to spite my face here, or am I right in standing my ground? What would you do?

Back
Top Bottom