*** The official 2018 MacBook Pro thread (it has six cores and everything!) ***

Man of Honour
You cant dissemble and remove the battery as a separate component?
It's glued in and Apple prevent the sale of original batteries.

It is possible to get non-original batteries if you're prepared to try to remove the old one. But increasingly Apple have been trying to stop the sale of them too.

Soldato
It's glued in and Apple prevent the sale of original batteries.

It is possible to get non-original batteries if you're prepared to try to remove the old one. But increasingly Apple have been trying to stop the sale of them too.

Yep, the new Macbook Airs 2018s even need the iphone screen press to put them in properly now. They are making it more and more that you can't change stuff yourself.

Soldato
That cant be right surely? i swear its very easy for apple to remove and replace a battery?!?!?

It is probably still quite easy to do it without the press, just it can cause problems due to the new adhesive used to put them in. Can very easily cause damage to the top casing if they're not put in properly etc. We had to buy one of the presses too, they didn't give one for free cheeky gits lol.

EDIT: only external info i can find on it - no stuff on Apple support

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/11/07/2018-macbook-air-battery-individually-replaceable/

Last edited:
Soldato
Today I got my DisplayPort switch box, cable and new 'dock'. The USB C to DP wont work through the dock, so that can go straight back. The cable works fine direct from MacBook to monitor, but when I try and use it through the switch, it flickers on and off, more off than on. It works fine on the Windows side of the switch. It's almost like the monitor is trying to use a refresh rate it can't cope with. Any ideas?

Soldato
Not having much luck with mines. After the screen incident, Apple called me a few days ago saying the SSD is failing (despite it passing when I dropped it off). Needs a logic board replacement now. Not overly happy , and previously had the USB-C charger fail as well, which took Apple 3 deliveries to replace properly (kept sending the wrong parts).

Man of Honour
Not having much luck with mines. After the screen incident, Apple called me a few days ago saying the SSD is failing (despite it passing when I dropped it off). Needs a logic board replacement now. Not overly happy , and previously had the USB-C charger fail as well, which took Apple 3 deliveries to replace properly (kept sending the wrong parts).
Have you asked them for a complete replacement?

Soldato
WhatsApp message is used by many compared to imessage and so is Google chrome.

You can auto unlock a Google watch based on where you live like you can on an Google phone too as ie when your at home you don't need to enter a pin etc to access your phone or watch.

How do I play the the latest pc games on mac? Can you get 2080 or even 1080 gpu macs yet?

I’m not interested in Google anything. I don’t use google products or services and have no intention of starting!

All my stuff needs to work with Apple gear.

Soldato
my point is that there is alternatives! and whatsapps is not google anything and more popular then iMessage

I know WhatsApp is owned by FB. Although now FB have announced the backend of WhatsApp will be integrated with FB messenger and instagram it might be time to ditch WhatsApp.

I just need to get my sister and aunty an iPhone and then we can all use iMessage instead.

Back
Top Bottom