Save teamocuk.co.uk?

Man of Honour
Unfortunately, recent events mean that the server on which teamocuk.co.uk is hosted is reaching end-of-life. I can't afford to continue hosting it myself (cost c.£1,000/year). I've looked into putting ads on it (yuk!) to try to help, but that's also a no go. I was looking to host it from home, and acquired the hardware for it, but after a month-long internet outage, I don't trust my connection.

Does anyone else here have the resources to host it themselves? Requirements are pretty basic by modern standards:
- 4-core CPU (any from the last 10 years will do).
- 8 GB RAM.
- 2x 1TB disks in RAID-1 (software RAID is fine), or similar capacity in RAID-5.
- Recent Linux (Currently CentOS 6, needs at least CentOS 7 to run the off-site backup software I use, but doesn't have to use that).

The software is largely self-maintaining once set up. I just give it a kick once every few months to free up space (I can probably automate even more of that). It's only suffered a catastropic DB crash once in the 13 years its been running (due to a power failure).

PS - since I have the hardware, I'd be happy to donate it. Would need someone with transport. It's a Dell rack server so ideally suited to a server room, but unfortunately I don't have the rails for it (or the front bezel, which someone conveniently lost!)

Man of Honour
OP
Wish I could do that! (we have ludicrous amounts of VM hardware, but the ones that sit outside the firewall are heavily restricted - and rightly so)

One other important bit - bandwidth. It's about 1GB/day up/down Mon-Sat, plus 20GB up on Sundays (DB backup).

I'll be in touch in the New Year to figure out how we make this work. I can manage another month on the old server (I've set up temporary backups to cover for the backup software that died a couple of weeks ago).

Man of Honour
OK, in the meantime I'll set one up and send you the login details, I'll just do the base install of Centos 7 and let you add what you need.

Associate
Hi guys not been so active round here recently but happy to chip in if required.
Biffa if you need any hardware drives or ram etc drop me a PM.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks for all the help, and how you doin'? :)

I'm pretty much out of the crunching game now. About the only PC left was the Team OcUK server, and obviously that isn't either now.

Anyway, thanks to Biffa, I no longer have to worry about hosting this myself, so can offload the Dell R5500 I acquired and make some room!

Associate
All looking good but not at all ready for Christmas as usual;)
Not crunching as much either, when I get chance I have a run at CPDN but most of my rigs are doing real work just now.

Man of Honour
Getting there with setting it up, doing it in the spare moments between life and sleep :)

Got the VM up and running with 8GB, 4 cores, and 2TB of space, Centos 7 minimal install, just gotta nail down the access and security and some default services.

Man of Honour
2TB?! That's suitably generous - I probably won't upload the 500GB+ of historical data back to 2004/5 that's on the old server, unless you want me to. :)

Well you mentioned "- 2x 1TB disks in RAID-1 (software RAID is fine), or similar capacity in RAID-5."

So I thought you needed 2TB, but I guess you need only need 1TB if its RAID1 :o

Sorry for delay, put things on hold over the holidays, but back now so can get some more done.

Associate
On reading the op here I thought that explained why the stats haven't updated since March 2018 for LHC :(, was gutted, then I read Biffa's posts saying he'd picked up the batten (yey! Nice one! thanks :)), but now I'm confused, why haven't the stats updated on my favourite stats site? [edit] Seems to be only for LHC (well, Skynet POGS too, but that finished a while back anyway).

Btw, thanks to Beserker for running the stats the previous years :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom