Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Associate
Picked up some bits to upgrade my home NAS :)

DSC-0060.jpg

What write speeds do you get to your NAS over 10GB connection? I've been thinking of doing something similar myself with a mikrotik SFP+ switch and a couple of the connectx-2 PCI cards but thinking I'm just going to be bottlenecked unless I setup some sort of caching on the NAS.

Also.... new shoes!!!

Associate
But how can you predict whether it will be the left or right one? Very stressful.

Surely just taking a very thick sock and a carrier bag for over it secured with an elastic band would be a much more universal approach? You'd look very silly turning up to a meeting with 2 left shoes otherwise.

9 out of 10 times it's my left shoe that gets lost, so odds are well in my favour

Bar

Bar

Soldato
What write speeds do you get to your NAS over 10GB connection? I've been thinking of doing something similar myself with a mikrotik SFP+ switch and a couple of the connectx-2 PCI cards but thinking I'm just going to be bottlenecked unless I setup some sort of caching on the NAS.

Also.... new shoes!!!

Do I spy Cheaneys? Fairly sure I have those in the black, very comfortable shoes.

Soldato
I'm actually planning on using the Mikrotik myself (should arrive tomorrow) but wanted to run some tests so just quickly plug and played a ConnectX-2 into my Win10 machine, another into my DS1517+, ran a SFP+ cable between them and set static IPs so no fine tuning of the cards/packets/whatever.

Speeds are good, I tested with CrystalDiskMark and a shared folder mapped as a local drive, over the 1GB connection the read and write speeds maxxed out at 118MB/s which is about the limit for 1GB after overheads, over the 10GB link speeds shot up to the native speed of the array/drives. With the network bottleneck gone it means in future if I'm transferring data between the NAS and one of the SATA3 SSDs in my machine then the SSD will be the bottleneck for R/W speed, which is crazy to think about.

You should totally do it, well worth the upgrade especially considering how cheap the ConnectX-2 cards are used these days (I got one for the NAS, one for my PC and two SFP+ cables for less than half of what Synology charge for their own branded card lol).

Man of Honour

On my QNAP I get around 350 MB/s backing up to it via NFS using Veeam from my vSAN cluster. The NAS has 4 6TB reds and two SSD cache drives.

Associate
I'm actually planning on using the Mikrotik myself (should arrive tomorrow) but wanted to run some tests so just quickly plug and played a ConnectX-2 into my Win10 machine, another into my DS1517+, ran a SFP+ cable between them and set static IPs so no fine tuning of the cards/packets/whatever.

Speeds are good, I tested with CrystalDiskMark and a shared folder mapped as a local drive, over the 1GB connection the read and write speeds maxxed out at 118MB/s which is about the limit for 1GB after overheads, over the 10GB link speeds shot up to the native speed of the array/drives. With the network bottleneck gone it means in future if I'm transferring data between the NAS and one of the SATA3 SSDs in my machine then the SSD will be the bottleneck for R/W speed, which is crazy to think about.

You should totally do it, well worth the upgrade especially considering how cheap the ConnectX-2 cards are used these days (I got one for the NAS, one for my PC and two SFP+ cables for less than half of what Synology charge for their own branded card lol).

On my QNAP I get around 350 MB/s backing up to it via NFS using Veeam from my vSAN cluster. The NAS has 4 6TB reds and two SSD cache drives.

Thanks for the feedback! Time to find me some Connectx-2s and a DAC! :cool:

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback! Time to find me some Connectx-2s and a DAC! :cool:
If you are ordering off a popular auction site, simply search for "connectx-2" then order by lowest price inc postage, and scroll down until you see two cards and a cable as a bundle. It will probably be from China (mine were) but despite the free postage should arrive promptly and with tracking (mine took <7 days) and with no import costs (you may get unlucky on this but that would just change them for super cheap to cheap).

I genuinely cannot understand how Chinese sellers can sell a product (even used) so cheap with non-economy international shipping and be making any money, perhaps it's disgruntled employees just walking out the datacenters with bags full /shrug :p

Oh yeah, my MikroTik CRS305-1G-4S+IN arrived today and so did my die cast Klingon Battlecruiser :p

DSC-0063.jpg

DSC-0064.jpg

Back
Top Bottom