Cheap long Displayport 1.4 cables?

Associate
Paging @Daniel - LG as this must surely affect your larger monitors.

Not so Much, I think we provide a 1m cable with ours

Is there a good source of cheap long Displayport 1.4 cables? I really don't fancy paying the $298 these people charge for a 5m cable. I'm assuming there's a cheap Chinese alternative, right?

Just google searched 5m dp 1.4 cable and first one is £45?

Soldato
OP
I've had severe problems with copper cables of 3m or more. While you won't notice issues on a standard 1080p display, I sure notice them on my 4K and 3440x1440 displays. And note that while they say they are DP 1.4 if you dive into the specs, most are really only DP 1.2. I want a cable that will do 4k @ 120 + Hz and 3440x1440 @ 120+ Hz. Lindy do their gold line up to 5m but even that is over £80.

Soldato
I'm using a 5M DP cable to my monitor which is 2560 x 1600 and it works well. I tried DVI cables and HDMI cable over the same length and had reliability problems with the DVI but the HDMI and DP cable worked well. I'm pretty sure I bought it from OcUK.

Soldato
OP
And guess what? Here's the 5M copper cable I ordered:

sKx2vvD.jpg

Notice it says Displayport 1.4

And here's what has just arrived:

JRGumHP.jpg

And the label says Displayport 1.2

Soldato
DisplayPort 1.4 probably didn’t exist when the cable packaging was designed. That doesn’t mean the cable isn’t going to work with Displayport 1.4.

Isn’t DisplayPort like HDMI in the cables not really having different versions and only the endpoints changing?

Soldato
What risk? If it doesn’t work as described in the listing you return it for refund. Ripping open the paper packaging isn’t going to change that (or at least it shouldn’t).

If in doubt ask the seller.

Soldato
OP
Well yes. Check the first picture. The product listing is clear that it's a DP 1.4 cable with all the capabilities thereof. What arrived was what was in the second picture, a cable labelled as being a DP 1.2 cable. Anyway, the replacement will be here tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
And the product listing was incorrect because the second cable was also a DP 1.2 cable. I've got a 10m optical cable coming from China at huge expense. I have discovered an Italian source for a mere €99 but their website won't let me order.

Soldato
OP
The Italian source turned out to be a trade price, needing all sorts of extra taxes paid. Anyway, my 10m fibre cable arrived from China this morning and seems to work just fine at 4K / 120.

Back
Top Bottom