Philips Fidelio X2 / Grado SR225e alternatives?

Ken

Ken

Associate
Hi,

Looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD595 which have also cracked and broken fully on the side of the head band.

Initial research came up with the Philips Fidelio X2 and Grado SR225e. Super gutted I can't find anywhere that sells the former and the latter is not full over the ear style which is an important comfort factor for me. Basically I'm looking for a best in class, over the ear and retro styled pair of comfortable headphones.

Any recommendations please?

Ken

Ken

Associate
OP
Hmm best in class over ear retro style and no budget, recon Stax fits the bill but will cost you literally a kidney ^^

https://staxaudio.com/earspeaker/sr-l700

You'll also need an energizer, package probably around £2500 or so.

If not that what's your budget lol

Haha :D £250 ish

Beyer DT990 Pro??
Thanks, reading some reviews now :)

Do you want similar neutral bass or more punchy bass?
Looking for similar bass but more detail in the mids and highs :)

Associate
Haha :D £250 ish

Thanks, reading some reviews now :)

For that money I'd go for the HD660S from the Sennheiser outlet store, the design is a classic and you'll not be able to beat it's performance for the money imo.

Soldato
DT990 and Fidelio X2 belong to smaller group of open headphones with strong punchy bass.
(still nothing such overpowering as in closed cans)

Designed for neutral accurate listening of no "audiophile"/fashion nonsense AKG K702 is more like what you want for that accurate neutral sound.
That accuracy makes it also one of the absolute top level headphone for gaming with binaural sound.
Next step up would be game showing locations of sound sources around you using on screen map!

Though DT990 with its somewhat loudness curve shaped frequency response puts there some above neutral treble to act as balance for that punch in lower end.
(instead of usual lopsided frequency response)
Making it very good for "balanced"/casual for fun gaming with good details and strong fun bass.

I myself have retired tape keeping parts from falling HD595, which started rotting after 2½ years.
(while last millennium design HD590 survived about decade with only thin cables wearing)
So disappointed to quality of that fashion design started looking elsewhere and bought no fashion nonsense Beyer DT990.
Then fair year (or was it two) bought AKG K712, which is overal rather similar to DT990 (little more details, little less bass immersion) and second hand K702 as neutral reference.

Famous for music HD6xx Sennheisers with their hyped "warm" sound are actually tuned for inaccurate reproduction with smoothed treble.
Stereo content like music just doesn't really give a damn about accuracy of reproduction.
But binaural cues don't forgive such inaccuracies in upper mids and treble and in gaming they would get their ass spanked by cheaper HD595/598 models.

Soldato
Hi,

Looking to upgrade from my Sennheiser HD595 which have also cracked and broken fully on the side of the head band.

Initial research came up with the Philips Fidelio X2 and Grado SR225e. Super gutted I can't find anywhere that sells the former and the latter is not full over the ear style which is an important comfort factor for me. Basically I'm looking for a best in class, over the ear and retro styled pair of comfortable headphones.

Any recommendations please?

I've owned both and don't own them anymore. I have also owed a ton of others but I am back to one.

As recommended above, the Sennheier HD660S is the best value headphone around and worth spending a little more on. They will last you a lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom