*** Nintendo Switch ***

Caporegime
Mario Tennis is really unpopular so I really wouldn't be surprised if online is barren these days, with paid online (even if it's only £4 a year) being the final nail in the coffin.

I can only speak about Smash and Splatoon but they are extremely well populated.

I have played over 500 hours of Splatoon online and I still get very fast (instant) matches even though I'm playing against only the top 5% of players due to my rank. I haven't seen many repeat users either when I play so there must be a lot playing online, even at weird hours of the day.

I have played 125 games online of Smash, and it seems very popular with fast matches during peak hours, but I have to wait a minute or two at weird hours. I suppose that this is due to the strict latency requirement compared to Splatoon as it has sold extremely well.

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe is really fun with 4 players and anyone can play it. The difficulty depends on how much of a **** your mates are as having someone on the team who throws/blocks players to make them fall down holes *cough not me cough* can make it much more difficult.

The packet loss caused by the Switch's atrocious WiFi chip causes regular issues with Smash online if both players aren't using a wired connection or haven't lucked out with a rare non-faulty Switch. The difference was night and day between my two Switches when playing online on the same wireless network.

just watched a video that SMBU Deluxe is far too complicated for the folk that will be playing. they are literally people who never play consoles. thanks for the recommendation though i might pick it up for myself and possibly try out 2-4 player

Caporegime
still cheaper to buy an 8bitdo and a brand new ds4 than a pro controller - just shows you how overpriced they are
Honestly I think it's a matter of personal preference.

Yea the DS4 is cheaper. But personally I can't stand the bloody thing. I find them so uncomfortable.

The pro controller I find fantastic. And you're talking the difference of what...£10? Correct me if I'm wrong there.

I don't think the Pro controller is overpriced for what you get but that's just my opinion. :)

Man of Honour
just watched a video that SMBU Deluxe is far too complicated for the folk that will be playing. they are literally people who never play consoles. thanks for the recommendation though i might pick it up for myself and possibly try out 2-4 player

I've played it (on the WiiU) with people who have never played video games and it worked out very well.

All you need is to press right and jump to start playing, and there are even characters that you can choose who can't get hit by enemies to make it easier.

Soldato
Honestly I think it's a matter of personal preference.

Yea the DS4 is cheaper. But personally I can't stand the bloody thing. I find them so uncomfortable.

The pro controller I find fantastic. And you're talking the difference of what...£10? Correct me if I'm wrong there.

I don't think the Pro controller is overpriced for what you get but that's just my opinion. :)

I agree its worth every penny best controller out their super comfortable.

Man of Honour
I agree its worth every penny best controller out their super comfortable.

I think the Xbox elite is the best but it's certainly pretty good except for the dpad.

I'd be tempted by the 8bitdo dongle for the better dpad of the other consoles except all their previous products lag.

Soldato
I think the Xbox elite is the best but it's certainly pretty good except for the dpad.

I'd be tempted by the 8bitdo dongle for the better dpad of the other consoles except all their previous products lag.

Not tried the elite controller but i did briefly own a xbox one s I found the RB/LB buttons pretty bad and the D Pad sucked.

Caporegime
Pondering... Which console turns on when I hold down the PS button on the DS4. Wonder if I have to pair with the PS4 after using it with the Switch

You have to pair it to the 8bitdo if you press the ps button after pairing to the 8bitdo then likely it will be the switch that turns on if that functionality is available for a pro controller.

You will need to pair it up with ps4 but that's as easy as plugging it in via a sub cable and hitting the button.

Takes literally seconds to do. I have 2 charging cables on my ps4 as standard so no hassle for me.

The video tested controller lag and it was less than 10ms slower than the pro controller which is negligible.

I don't know the history of their products but I was introduced to them through the PlayStation classic modifier they also sell. Which adds lots of cool features to Sony's classic ps1 remake.

Associate
My dongle arrived today works perfectly with the switch and my ps4 controller, updated to the latest firmware & very easy to setup, very pleased with it.

Cheers all

Soldato
The pro pad wipes the floor with PS4 and XB1 pads. Not that they are bad - I have and like both - but the pro pad is the best I've ever used and noticeably better. The sticks are freakishly good! Arguably not essential if you have other options, but if you want to play the best Nintendo games in the best way, go for it. I wouldn't wanted to have played Breath of the Wild and Odyssey with anything else. What I really want is to play other consoles with the pro pad ..

Caporegime
The pro pad wipes the floor with PS4 and XB1 pads. Not that they are bad - I have and like both - but the pro pad is the best I've ever used and noticeably better. The sticks are freakishly good! Arguably not essential if you have other options, but if you want to play the best Nintendo games in the best way, go for it. I wouldn't wanted to have played Breath of the Wild and Odyssey with anything else. What I really want is to play other consoles with the pro pad ..

yeah but is the pro controller really worth paying £40 over using a DS4? i heard a guy at work say the same about the pro controller. so i may need to get him to bring it in one day so i can feel it in my hands

Man of Honour
My dongle arrived today works perfectly with the switch and my ps4 controller, updated to the latest firmware & very easy to setup, very pleased with it.

Cheers all

Can you check if there is input lag when using this adapter in multiplayer with an official controller please?

That's where all their other switch devices caused severe latency. If it doesn't I will get one for the far superior Xbox one elite dpad.

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah but is the pro controller really worth paying £40 over using a DS4? i heard a guy at work say the same about the pro controller. so i may need to get him to bring it in one day so i can feel it in my hands

It really is lovely - definitely see if you can borrow one. For me the telling thing is when swapping between systems. Going back to the PS4 pad feels weirdly chunky and cumbersome and back to the pro like putting on a perfectly fitting suit. How much it's worth is totally subjective tho, but I have zero regrets. And the sticks are sooo smooth.

Back
Top Bottom