Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Wish they'd kept with Samsung M.2 SSDs. The Intel 760p seems like a downgrade.

Hi @OCdude - we made the decision because we want to be able to provide consistency across the range, and "know" exactly what's inside. As you will know in the past we (as with most other manufacturers) have used multiple suppliers for SSD, Ram and other key parts, so when we are asked the question "what SSD is in my AERO" invariably we have had to check by looking at individual serial numbers.

This "All Intel Inside" way, we will always know, and this will help with compatibility etc.

With regards to the specific Intel SSD, the reading speed is actually faster than the Samsung, writing slightly slower.

Hope that sheds a bit on light on the "thinking".

With regards to the range of products, we are working on setting everything up with our partners and they should be live very soon.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Soldato
Hi @OCdude - we made the decision because we want to be able to provide consistency across the range, and "know" exactly what's inside. As you will know in the past we (as with most other manufacturers) have used multiple suppliers for SSD, Ram and other key parts, so when we are asked the question "what SSD is in my AERO" invariably we have had to check by looking at individual serial numbers.

This "All Intel Inside" way, we will always know, and this will help with compatibility etc.

With regards to the specific Intel SSD, the reading speed is actually faster than the Samsung, writing slightly slower.

Hope that sheds a bit on light on the "thinking".

With regards to the range of products, we are working on setting everything up with our partners and they should be live very soon.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team
have you done any tweaks on the air cooling on the new 2019 models or is it just a spec bump?

Associate
Really interested in this laptop!!! Do hope the rrp is not actual price :O

I know it is early, but would appreciate a bit of gut e feel advice.

I am combining a laptop (v old laptop used for photo editing when travelling and work stuff) and my gaming desktop (processor died) which is a i7 6700 with 1080ti driving a 34 ultra wide Predator monitor.

V happy with gaming performance on desktop so want this laptop to at least match it in project cars 2 and various fps such as destiny 2. Faster photo editing would be nice as well.

Do people think this laptop will match / exceed my desktop performance in game?

Thanks all - a very keen wanting to have a new shiny toy person :)

Associate
Aye, hopefully it's a software/driver issue that can be fixed - and not because of increased TDP etc.
The battery life in that review makes it the same as a gaming brick. So hardly usable as a normal laptop or multimedia laptop.

I'm wondering if it's better just to go for an eGPU. I don't need to game on the go. Just want a laptop that can handle games as I no longer own a PC - want to avoid the hassle and extra expense of owning two devices. So just dock a laptop.

Heat when gaming I'm not that bothered with as can get a cooling pad with fans. But if you can't use it as a normal laptop when out and about without being plugged in the whole time, then hmm - hardly the all in one machine you're paying the premium to for.

Associate
Anyone else had wifi card problems since Win10 update late Feb to early March?
If I use Intel driver version 19.7.0.5 it uninstalls existing then installs an earlier version that works but within 20 minutes Windows notifies it has installed an update version 20.50.0.5 and after reboot back to a wifi device that indicates is normal but also device is not connected and unable to see any wifi channels again.

Another thing - last year the gigabyte airplane mode driver disappeared with an update for smart update, I have re-installed gigabytes airplane mode driver v1.0 but it doesn't show and device mgr reports error code 10 the device cannot start - I think is separate to wifi as this has been the case for several months since smart update version change.

Another another thing, When I restart the laptop I get the gigabyte bios option screen for F2/F12/F9 but then a black screen for 5 to 10 minutes before the Win10 pro logon screen. The keyboard lights colour cycle and the fan has random spin up times. Also any keypress does not activate the pwd prompt, only ctrl-alt-del or the left mouse button on the trackpad. Fairly standard build and no other devices, only used for standard legit software, no dodgy sites visited etc

Odd but if I power down, remove power and LAN, plug back in and power up then there is no Gigabyte F2/F12/F9 screen but it jumps to Win10 logon screen and any key press activates the cursor for pwd. Local admin account only, never configured for a live Windows account.

I have raised two support cases but any advice or notes of similar experience appreciated.

Soldato
It’s not much help, but the Windows update has caused a right pain with my main rig. So much so that I’m trying not use to use my XPS or let it update.

Hope you sort this issues mate.

Associate
oh lordy, after wasting many hours the last two weeks thinking I have hardware or some form of malware problems, I've looked at the Software Windows 10 forum pages and seen the hell that is 1809, while stunned I am not surprised how MS get away with their seemingly callous updates that trash ordinary peoples computers and businesses, how they survived the auto update to Windows 10 has clearly emboldened them.

Is still incredible their updates have stopped my wifi from working on a device that is at most only 18 months old from firs manufacture and using an Intel device at that. Am about to follow suggestions to set updates to bi-annual and yet again revert to wifi driver v19 as posted by Intel (instead of v20 used by Win10 Updates - without even asking me it I want it) A sorry state of affairs.

I hear a calling to set BIOS to Win7 mode, disable ufei secure boot and install Linux

Associate
Now here's an odd thing I did not know before.. according to Gigabyte support, a windows Shut down does not really shut down your laptop, instead it goes into a deep sleep state so when powered on it boots quick and without the BIOS screen prompt. However, if choosing Restart (the Win10 description for shutting down the laptop is exactly the same as shut down) but this time it really does power off the laptop and the next power up does indeed show the BIOS select option.

BUT - the screen stays blacked out for at least 5 minutes (sometimes nearly 10 minutes!) and at first I suspected a hardware fault. Patiently waiting longer than an old slow 5400 fragmented sata drive would take to boot and the logon screen eventually appears - pressing any key does not activate the pwd cursor, only ctrl+alt+del or the left mouse button does that, and guess what - the wifi driver has been updated (no LAN cable btw) back to v 20.n and wifi no longer works.

How.. how does Microshaft even survive? No acceptance of this issue. Oddly, all previous system restores have been wiped and only option offered is.. re-install a clean Windows restoration. Really?! What have they done, clearly I am missing something here, like a reliable operating system on an 18 month old latop.

Anyone else experienced the blacked-out screen for 5 minutes on Restart?

Am not impressed with gigabyte support, and cannot add to a case, only raise a new one then they complain about that - they did not offer anything other than re-install from scratch and suggest the memory upgrade might be faulty - but laptop works fine when "shutting down" and anyway, after restart the BIOS option screen pops up very quick and that means POST has passed ok.

So now I am left with a laptop that keeps breaking and MS busts it after every restart and only offers a Reset / re-install. It's a bit like a builder builds your house, then without asking comes back, removes the front door, leaves a 'properly working' replacement on the ground and clears off, but you can have the house rebuilt... wtf?!

Soldato
Hi all,

after an agonising couple of days researching, I've got an Aero 15X V8 FHD on my shortlist. Not interested in the latest models given price and potential battery life issues.

What say you all about fan noise under typical workloads and gaming? Also backlight bleed? Any issues with the keyboard?

Anyone running Ubuntu on their Aero? I have read that this laptop won't support booting in non - UEFI legacy mode which rules out many live distros. Has this been fixed or is this nonsense ?

I'd really appreciate input as to whether you really think it's worth the hefty price tag.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had mine nearly a year now I think. Fan noise in normal productivity use is non-existant, at full load when gaming they are pretty loud. Not the worst I've heard but they are very noticable. Backlight bleed also quite bad, I only notice it on the rare occasion I watch a movie on it whilst working away from home. I guess this will vary from unit to unit. No issues at all with the keyboard, its pretty decent. The backlight behind the right shift key is in the wrong place so it looks kind of dull, but reading around that's the same on every unit.

The addition of Thunderbolt 3 was a big plus, although only a single monitor is supported via TB3 so if you have a multi monitor setup you will need to plug at least 3 cables in (power, TB3, 2nd monitor) and TB3 only supports 60hz. I have the following plugged into my TB3 dock:

Monitor
Ethernet
Mouse/Keyboard
External HDD
Microsoft wireless thing for controllers.

It detects all of these on startup about 95% of the time. Occasionally you have to pull the TB3 cable out and put it back in and that sorts it.

I added another SSD as the storage is not great if you have a few big AAA games and some large VM images as I do. This was very easy and took about 10-15 minutes.

The negatives don't get in the way of me enjoying both working and gaming on this laptop though. It's handled every game I've thrown at it very well indeed. It's also subtle enough that I can use in front of my clients without them wondering why I'm typing on a stealth bomber! A massive bonus since I now only need 1 laptop for both work and pleasure use.

Back
Top Bottom