Small upgrade for video editing?

Soldato
I plan on doing some video editing again, most likely using Adobe Premiere Pro (maybe learn some other programs) and my current machine isn't quite cutting it for 4k editing. It will do it, but slowly and its a bit frustrating. Playback of 4k is fine generally and I don't game at all now on this PC.

Currently using an i5 6500, 16gb ram and an Radeon 7850 1GB. I have windows 10 installed on an SSD with plenty of backup storage.

I've been doing a bit of reading and looking at what I can replace without spending too much and come up with the below.
I already have a decent PSU, I believe its a 700w Corsair from a few years ago, and I already have 16gb of exactly the same ram as below.

Would there be any anything here that's not worth it or just unnecessary? Any thoughts greatly appreciated. :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £719.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Soldato
I'd suggest that you want RAM speeds of 3000MHz or so for Ryzen to perform its best, whether that's by overclocking or changing the sticks you've chosen. I think for that price you have some options, but maybe look into how well that Team Group stuff overclocks on your motherboard first?

Soldato
OP
I'd suggest that you want RAM speeds of 3000MHz or so for Ryzen to perform its best, whether that's by overclocking or changing the sticks you've chosen. I think for that price you have some options, but maybe look into how well that Team Group stuff overclocks on your motherboard first?

I only thought I'd stick with the same memory as it was part of this build which I got the idea for my upgrade from. Would I really see a big enough difference for video editing to warrant replacing the ram completely? I've seen graphics comparisons on games using different memory speeds with Ryzen and the different was not massive.

Soldato
I'm not sure what sort of workload the video editing is but it's worth checking whether it's CPU or GPU based, memory intensive etc. It's commonly said that Ryzen runs best on faster memory but I've yet to build my Ryzen system and compare!

Edit: sorry, just seen you have the memory already. It certainly won't hurt to try that first :)

Soldato
Soldato
OP
The ram you've specified whilst cheaper is a different speed than the kit I already have. I have considered a Vega card but some video editing programs are quicker using Nvidia cards, including Premiere Pro which I will want to use. Still, that CPU and GPU both come with free stuff which I could sell... Hmmm.

Soldato
The ram you've specified whilst cheaper is a different speed than the kit I already have. I have considered a Vega card but some video editing programs are quicker using Nvidia cards, including Premiere Pro which I will want to use. Still, that CPU and GPU both come with free stuff which I could sell... Hmmm.

speed matters a fair amount when it comes to making the most of ryzen, intel are usually restricted to 2133/2400. i put the 56 as a suggestion as its better than the 1070, however if what you use benefits more from nvidia then continue with the 1070 idea.

Back
Top Bottom