Strange Steam issue as of this morning - Most of my library is updating?!

Soldato
I rarely use Steam these days but was online last night to read up on some Subnautica news before logging off. This morning I log on and like 85% of my whole library has pending updates? Anyone know if it is just me or?

Edit: These update sizes range from what looks to be 0 bytes upto 800mb for titles like Payday 2 and Raft.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Oh. Small updates, then?
Some of mine have 2-3GB updates, which aren't fun on a 0.7Mbps connection.

Steam misuses the term a bit, though, as 'update' includes things like the simple validation and game key checks that they do from time to time.
Yeah for the most part. Though some updates like Payday 2 ones take forever to apply so you're stuck in a lul just waiting. This was the first time I've seen such a large amount in one go tbh.

Associate
I had this, Trine decided to do a 3GB update though, even though there is no update. Thought something screwy was going on.

Associate
I rarely use Steam these days but was online last night to read up on some Subnautica news before logging off. This morning I log on and like 85% of my whole library has pending updates? Anyone know if it is just me or?

Edit: These update sizes range from what looks to be 0 bytes upto 800mb for titles like Payday 2 and Raft.

I have just checked mine and as you said, had some games scheduled for update ( I run steam daily to keep up to date). Most were 0 kb bar one which was 225 mb.

Soldato
I've possibly found out what it was...

My "common" folder where all my games are saved now has a "Steamworks Shared" folder, which I don't think I've seen before. In that folder is all the shared common redistributable stuff that each game comes with, such as Physx, vcredist, DirectX stuff. Some of my games' own common redistributable folders are now empty. The idea I assume is that now there won't be 10 installers for the same vcredist 2015 or whatever taking up space on your drive. Some games still have the CR stuff in their own folders, I assume as no other game needs them. When I download another game that does need it, it'll move to shared.

This would explain all games needing updating but not downloading much.

Yay for sensible steam updates!

Edit - Oh right this was in the third post. Reading skills :cool:

Back
Top Bottom