Show Us Your Motors!

OcUK Staff
There must be a good proportion of the population can't tell an R8 from a TT and when an R8 passes by they think it's just another TT.

True but having driven TTRS and R8's around, the R8 got way more attention and for whatever reason females absolutely love the things and they tend to know less about cars, but they can see it looks different and probably also see it looks a lot more expensive.

Yes heading towards me from a distance I think to myself is that a TT or R8 approaching, but once it is closer it is very easy to tell its an R8 and from side and rear profiles there is no confusing the two.
Audi have sold a lot of R8's also so if it helped them sell more TT's then I guess its been nothing but a huge success.

But yes its similarity to the TT is a touch off putting, but having driven both the public certainly respond and point at the R8 a lot more, no doubt a lot of public recognition is simply due to Iron Man films, guess that helped Audi sell a few......

Caporegime
True but having driven TTRS and R8's around, the R8 got way more attention and for whatever reason females absolutely love the things and they tend to know less about cars, but they can see it looks different and probably also see it looks a lot more expensive.

Yes heading towards me from a distance I think to myself is that a TT or R8 approaching, but once it is closer it is very easy to tell its an R8 and from side and rear profiles there is no confusing the two.
Audi have sold a lot of R8's also so if it helped them sell more TT's then I guess its been nothing but a huge success.

But yes its similarity to the TT is a touch off putting, but having driven both the public certainly respond and point at the R8 a lot more, no doubt a lot of public recognition is simply due to Iron Man films, guess that helped Audi sell a few......

No doubt, but I was just generalising about the fact that most people are not car people, they just think "it's a red car", or "it's an Audi", to get to "it's an R8" or even "its a particular year R8, facelift or V10 Plus" takes another level or 2 of car nerdiness.

The majority of people stops at "it's a TT".

I would also say that most people can't tell the difference between the Porsche models, from Boxter to 911 to 918. Sure they can tell them apart when parked side by side but if seen in isolation and then you ask them later "what Porsche was that?"

"I dunno, its a Porsche" would be the answer.

Man of Honour
I would also say that most people can't tell the difference between the Porsche models, from Boxter to 911 to 918. Sure they can tell them apart when parked side by side but if seen in isolation and then you ask them later "what Porsche was that?"

Even with a bit of interest in cars I wouldn't be able to tell you the exact model of a 9xx Porsche on sight - even with the various variants parked side by side I'd be hard pressed.

Soldato
No doubt, but I was just generalising about the fact that most people are not car people, they just think "it's a red car", or "it's an Audi", to get to "it's an R8" or even "its a particular year R8, facelift or V10 Plus" takes another level or 2 of car nerdiness.

The majority of people stops at "it's a TT".

"I dunno, its a Porsche" would be the answer.

Yeah but why buy a car based on what joe public might think or point at. Anyone into cars knows what an R8 is.

The M2 gets quite a bit of attention with people looking etc, it’s happening a lot. I’ve even had people drive past at junctions turning their head 75 degrees while having a look, taking their eyes completely off the road - how dangerous is that. On top of that a lot people don’t even know there is such a thing as a M2. I’ve even been asked if it’s a 218d with a body kit lol

I actually really don’t like it.

Soldato
Even with a bit of interest in cars I wouldn't be able to tell you the exact model of a 9xx Porsche on sight - even with the various variants parked side by side I'd be hard pressed.
I would be the same. I suspect most people would just say 'it's a 911' if they knew a little bit about cars as it is such an iconic model.

OcUK Staff
Yeah but why buy a car based on what joe public might think or point at. Anyone into cars knows what an R8 is.

The M2 gets quite a bit of attention with people looking etc, it’s happening a lot. I’ve even had people drive past at junctions turning their head 75 degrees while having a look, taking their eyes completely off the road - how dangerous is that. On top of that a lot people don’t even know there is such a thing as a M2. I’ve even been asked if it’s a 218d with a body kit lol

I actually really don’t like it.

M2 are easy to spot they look like a bulldog that took steroids, great road presence and though I’m petrol head I can spot them quite easily, great looking and best colour is long beach blue.

Soldato
I'm one of them. I once only realised an R8 had passed me when I saw the sticker on the back that said "My other car is a Polo".

The previous founder of the company I used to work at had a bit of a shed Smart Fourtwo as a daily hack with 'my other car is a lambo'.

It was only a medicore Aventador SV in blue :D

Man of Honour
I'm one of them. I once only realised an R8 had passed me when I saw the sticker on the back that said "My other car is a Polo".
Those were the days.

Sadly it now says my other car is E Class with a bulge in the tyre.

46023470475_6e8cbc8037_b.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Both cars are identical but the TT has more luggage space, which is a significant benefit.

46885255712_e23dabb6a6_b.jpg

So much flexibility and all round ability for dumping old tellies and going to the shops.

My car sadly has none of this luxury I have to lump this heap of metal around!
39973102863_046d230041_o.jpg

No idea WTF Audi was thinking, bad planning.

Back
Top Bottom