Trying to Get Back into the Game

Associate
Evening all,

I'm long out of the game of what's good in the current gaming climate, and have been having a look around the forums to try to get back up to speed as to what's a good mid-high level gaming hardware. Hoping for around £500-600 at most if possible, but i am conscious that my current hardware is now very dated. Although surprisingly it does run games such as Rust and Battlegrounds on High.

Current specs are below. Happy to keep parts if they're worth keeping, but i'm anticipating that they're all pretty much obsolete now, apart from maybe the case lol.

Thanks in advance!

Phenom II X6 1055t @2.8||12GB DDR3 G-Skill RipJawsX||Asus Crosshair IV 890FX & TRUE Black|Zotac GTX 670 2GB||
OCZ ModXStream Modular 600w ||Windows 10 x64||HAF 922

Soldato
Upgrade of your core parts, should give you a boost in performance , specially if you game at 1080p

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £606.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

If you go for first gen ryzen 1600 - 6c/12t, which is still faster then your current you'll be able to add 3GB gtx 1060. More powerful then current and extra Gig in vram making you able to play 1080p ultra settings

Total: £616.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Intel option . I5 6400 6c/6t and is still slightly faster then ryzen ,*600 for pure gaming . Z370 so can stick in a 8700k in future .
Dropped to 8GB ram but allowed 6GB gtx 1060 which has more cores then 3GB version and more ram

Total: £626.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you! Some really good food for thought. I'm wondering if i'd be better off upping my budget in that case, or keeping my current setup for a few more months and eeking out what i can from it until some of the prices drop and i can see a better improvement.

My main driver for looking at upgrading isn't really due to me being unhappy with performance of my current setup, it is the fact that intermittently my screen artefacts with blue/green squares randomly, mostly when closing games. Which i thought was a hardware issue, however based on when it occurs and the fact that it doesn't fall over during stress testing, only after exiting the stress test, makes me lean towards a driver related issue.

Soldato
personally IMO, any cpu upgrade would be better then your core CPU set up! sure I3 8350k which is now a Quad score chip will eat that X6 for breakfast .

and current Pascals are a nice jump from 600 series... so though i'd spec a broad range. either solid core upgrade and keep your GPU till gen gen come out Q3 or grade the core + GPU which would be better, but not breaking the bank nor the best possible performance but within your budget

to be fair , if cash is an issue, taking the Core upgrade route - ryzen 2600 with manual overclock to push 4.2ghz on all cores along with 3200 ram that doesn't have as tight timings but cheaper frees up £140 of your budget to be put awa for GPU upgrade. as you should see FPS gains from this core upgrade with your current GPU to tie you have a little bit

B CODE

Soldato
Currently DDR4 RAM and graphics card prices are high, there is some hope that graphics cards should be coming down in price. With the new Nvidia cards out in the next few months you should see a current generation cards drop a little or opt for the new kit.

Trouble with everything is there is always new stuff 'out soon', but genuinely from a graphics card point of view I'd be reluctant to spend much money on the current cards with new stuff out so soon and inflated prices due to mining.

The recommendations from orbitalwalsh are solid, although I'd be reluctant to buy any system now with less than 16GB RAM.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, very kind of you both.
I'll look at rebuilding the core in that case, and selling on my old parts.
Maybe i'll stick with the GTX 670 as the last part to change in that case, to see what sort of gains i get replacing all but the graphics card. And if i can pick a decent replacement up for cheap then upgrade it.

Soldato
Thanks guys, very kind of you both.
I'll look at rebuilding the core in that case, and selling on my old parts.
Maybe i'll stick with the GTX 670 as the last part to change in that case, to see what sort of gains i get replacing all but the graphics card. And if i can pick a decent replacement up for cheap then upgrade it.

plenty of videos should FX 8*** vs ryzen 1600 on lower and higher spec cards, see that gains can be big! specially with BF1 multiplayer etc

Associate
OP
Thread revival as my computer has just given up. Powers on but no sign of life, just a red CPU light on the motherboard.

However I’m very surprised by the fact that this was almost a year ago and most of the components listed have actually gone up in price at Overclockers. Crazy!

Soldato
Total: £553.02 (includes shipping: £11.10)

push rx 580 8gb for bit more power for extra £30+

intel for just core upgrade and power at 1080p gaming- though GPU wouldn't be pushing CPU hard due to age

Total: £554.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)

***just realised you get free shipping :)

Associate
OP
Thank you!
I think i will go for one of the ones that you've suggested. Not sure whether to upgrade my graphics card too.

Based on some googling and previous funny behaviour i think that they crux of my current CPU error light might actually be due to a dodgy PSU. Well, i've been getting intermittent loss of power to all USB devices whilst the rest of the computer functions, for a while, so that and now this leads me to suspect the PSU.
So i think i'll add that into my bundle too. I could probably go up to £700 including the PSU, which probably works out about right.

Soldato
Thank you!
I think i will go for one of the ones that you've suggested. Not sure whether to upgrade my graphics card too.

Based on some googling and previous funny behaviour i think that they crux of my current CPU error light might actually be due to a dodgy PSU. Well, i've been getting intermittent loss of power to all USB devices whilst the rest of the computer functions, for a while, so that and now this leads me to suspect the PSU.
So i think i'll add that into my bundle too. I could probably go up to £700 including the PSU, which probably works out about right.

your PSU is low on the Quality list, in the old list its about Tier 5 out of 6 and currently E ( S,A,B,C,D,E,F,G) so quite bad . @EsaT is a member who's damn good at their PSU knowledge !

Either Ryzen 6 core or Intel 6 Core you'll see Massive gains over your Phanny 2 chip!!!!!!!!! specially at 1080p gaming

slightly over

Total: £728.96 (includes shipping: £11.10)

slightly more powerful rx580 and larger vram

Total: £699.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)

selected Corsair PSU, their rep @CorsairChris has stated that with RMA (touch wood ) they just replace the unit with a new one rather then try to fix the unit within 28 days. Seasonic units are fixed in Germany . Also them and Gigabyte are UK based for CS and RMA.
normally havent quoted their products in the past but seen how they handle their RMA and if you heavy leave or remainer for brexit - your covered in the best way haha

their ram was a bit to pricey at £30 for extra 200hz

Associate
OP
Thank you! I'm leaning towards an AMD setup as it seems to be better value for money.
I'm tempted to keep my GTX 670 to start with, to see how the system performs, and then maybe upgrade to the Powercolor RX 580 8GB Red Dragon 2 if it doesn't perform well. As the GTX 670 seems to be a decent enough card for most of the games i'm thinking of playing. Overwatch, Rust, and maybe COD Black Ops 4.

Soldato
Thank you! I'm leaning towards an AMD setup as it seems to be better value for money.
I'm tempted to keep my GTX 670 to start with, to see how the system performs, and then maybe upgrade to the Powercolor RX 580 8GB Red Dragon 2 if it doesn't perform well. As the GTX 670 seems to be a decent enough card for most of the games i'm thinking of playing. Overwatch, Rust, and maybe COD Black Ops 4.

BO4 you'll notice a big difference with RX 580 thats for sure. Dragon is a damn good price, think OCUK handle RMA, not to sur eon that one as HK based.
Ryzen is indeed better value for money, Intel out performs at 1080p hands down .

3.8ghz all core boost of the 2600x vs 4.3ghz of the 8600k . Inel having stronger IPC and IMC . 8600k with a good cooler should hit 4.8ghz all cores easily , 2600x would push 4.1ghz all core

either way, both are DAMN good systems !

GTX 770 and not 670

Associate
OP
Oh you've convinced me lol. I'm thinking this, a tweak here and there to make a couple of savings. But mostly based on your AMD suggestion. What do you think?

Total: £657.36 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Edit: Although i've just spotted your recommendation about Corsair with their PSUs. Do you think a 550w would be sufficient, as i'm happy to pay a bit extra for the Corsair name if it's worth it?​

Soldato
@Jakstaar2007

550w would be fine , specially when its a high rated PSU unit .
In theory , you can run that RX 580 off Bequiets 500w as I did that with Vega 56! haha . use to know Bequiet very well . they handle rma/repair internally unlike Seasonic ( both fixed in germany) , but yeah would push Corsair for same Tier Quality but better RMA .

Gain you still go through the process of RMA with OCUK , should confirm it with corsair and should be approved and new one issued (old one gets repaired and sold as b-grade) . if any issues, you can take it up with Corsair UK

Both are Simi Modular , corsair is yr warranty vs 5 of bequiet

Soldato
You've sold me on the Corsair! Thanks. I'll bite the bullet and order.
Thanks again for the help!

no worries mate, post up here how you get on etc .

as fun if your old board works with new PSU... try the new GPU in there, and then swap to new system and check the difference in frame rate .

should see 10fps gain from your current CPU to new one on that RX card!

shame Gigabyte card is priced higher , if £20 more would have pushed but good £40 difference !

dont worry about the paste, cooler comes pre-applied. if you are going to do it. Thermal Grizzly non metal for about £5...

Soldato
Before you order, check that your RAM's OC is supported by the Mobo: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_b450-aorus-elite_pinnacle.pdf

This is crucial for Ryzen CPUs.

Also, I'd highly advise a bigger PSU, especially at that budget. The step-up to this [https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ante...lus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-24p-an.html] is not a lot of dosh, but well worth it in terms of future expand-ability/upgrades etc. Certainly something I wish I did, though my 550w treated me well over the years (run a similar setup, RX 480 + i7 6800k).

I also wouldn't say it's worth going for the R5 2600x over the 2600, especially considering the coolers that savings could buy you (though not necessary anyway).

Soldato
ram should be fine on that board.
ran that and faster on B350 Gaming as well as using that board myself with 3200hz kit, corsair as well - though a little tweak

IbcOsqC.jpg

Back
Top Bottom