TADO: Question about controlling temp of room...

Associate
I'm researching smart central heating controls (combi boiler, no water) and have a question about the following statement from their website. The bottom scenario.

https://support.tado.com/hc/en-gb/a...or-heating-systems-with-a-central-thermostat-

One Smart Thermostat controls the boiler and Smart Radiator Thermostats are installed in some rooms, but not in the room with the Smart Thermostat (not recommended)...In this setup the room in which the Smart Thermostat is installed can get warmer than the temperature set on the Smart Thermostat itself.

I was thinking I'd get smart TRVs for upstairs and control downstairs with the main thermostat. However, the description above has got me wondering. Surely if the stat is set to 22 and the room gets to 22, it should turn the boiler off? The above reads, at least to me, like the room will continue to be heated beyond 22 if, say, one of the bedroom smart TRVs is set to 24 - will that over-ride the main stat and turn the boiler on, therefore heating the downstairs radiators until the bedroom one reaches 24?

Any one with TADO confirm/deny this is how it would work?

If it is, then does that mean it's all or nothing as far as smart TRVs? And if you've got all rads controlled with smart TRVs, then do you actually need the smart thermostat at all?

Last edited:
Don
In the room you have the Tado thermostat you don’t want the radiator to be temperature controlled as you could end up in the situation where the Tado is calling for more heat, but the radiator is turned off.

Associate
OP
I'm still undecided which system to invest in. I've read that Hive will be introducing smart TRVs this year, but with a new boiler being fitted Thursday I wanted to sort something out now.

Associate
In the room you have the Tado thermostat you don’t want the radiator to be temperature controlled as you could end up in the situation where the Tado is calling for more heat, but the radiator is turned off.

In some cases this might be exactly what you want though - say for example the room with the main thermostat is set to 21 and is already at that temperature. Another room has a TRV and is set to 21 but the current temp is only 19. Then you want to be able to call for heat without having the first room overshoot the set temperature.

Don
In some cases this might be exactly what you want though - say for example the room with the main thermostat is set to 21 and is already at that temperature. Another room has a TRV and is set to 21 but the current temp is only 19. Then you want to be able to call for heat without having the first room overshoot the set temperature.
You’re heating system will keep running though even when all rooms are up to temperature.

Associate
You’re heating system will keep running though even when all rooms are up to temperature.

Certainly not the case with mine. If all the rooms are up to temperature it will be off. If any room is below the set temperature it will kick-in, and the TRVs will adjust depending on which rooms need heat. My setup is the smart thermostat, the extension kit which replaced my old dual timer, and TRVs on most of the rads. You can definitely get away not having TRVs in *every* room - I haven't bothered on the bathroom towel rails for example - it just means those are on whenever anything else is getting heat, and the towels and toilet seats are usually warm!

Don
Certainly not the case with mine. If all the rooms are up to temperature it will be off. If any room is below the set temperature it will kick-in, and the TRVs will adjust depending on which rooms need heat. My setup is the smart thermostat, the extension kit which replaced my old dual timer, and TRVs on most of the rads. You can definitely get away not having TRVs in *every* room - I haven't bothered on the bathroom towel rails for example - it just means those are on whenever anything else is getting heat, and the towels and toilet seats are usually warm!
Well yes, it's because your heating system is constantly running - which kind of defeats the point of the Tado.

Associate
OP
This is what is troubling me. I can't help but think it's an all or nothing solution. That is, I either stick with my non-smart thermostat/timer, or buy smart TRVs for ALL radiators - which is going to cost several hundred pounds and pay-back is simply too long to justify the cost, even when you factor in all the smart functionality.

Don
This is what is troubling me. I can't help but think it's an all or nothing solution. That is, I either stick with my non-smart thermostat/timer, or buy smart TRVs for ALL radiators - which is going to cost several hundred pounds and pay-back is simply too long to justify the cost, even when you factor in all the smart functionality.
Any smart thermostat needs to be installed in the area that takes the longest to reach it's setpoint, otherwise you're looking at diminishing returns. Even then you may as well use a dumb thermostat unless you can justify the savings offered by the additional savings offered by geo-locating settings and flexible 7 days, 24 hours settings.

Associate
Well yes, it's because your heating system is constantly running - which kind of defeats the point of the Tado.
It's not constantly running, it's running as long as any room is below the set temperature. If all rooms with a thermostat or TRV are above the set temp, it is no longer running. The TRVs make it more efficient because you are no longer excessively heating rooms that don't need it.
Honestly though, unless you get a good deal on the TRVs it probably won't make sense from a purely financial perspective. My house is on 3 floors so from a comfort perspective it's useful to be able to heat downstairs without the upstairs rooms getting excessively hot.

Back
Top Bottom