LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Caporegime
Does someone have the opportunity to verify the decreased input lag on the 34GK950F based on the new firmware?

I would but I don't know how to do it lol. Hopefully it's gone below 7ms at 144hz on the 'Faster' overdrive setting (down from 7.7) because that would be great. Unfortunately I'm not a ninja so cannot tell using my senses...:D

Caporegime
Jedi you have the 34gk950f version? What gpu you have ? I can see you got it back grade how much did you pay?

Yes I have the F and am using an eVGA 2080. Price wise I cannot say, but only because I have B-Grade monitors on a regular basis from OcUK to use in builds so might get a slight better price. Their were 2 on there and I *think* the other one went for £949 but I'm not 100%.

Associate
I would but I don't know how to do it lol. Hopefully it's gone below 7ms at 144hz on the 'Faster' overdrive setting (down from 7.7) because that would be great. Unfortunately I'm not a ninja so cannot tell using my senses...:D

Me neither :D but here is a pretty good article on how to: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/input_lag.htm
However, I think it would be worth to update the 34GK950F review on TFTCentral @Baddass since a lot of people might be interested to see the effect of the new firmware on the input lag (if there is any) ;)

Last edited:
Associate
feeling a bit of buyers remorse now for purchasing lg 950g ;/ help me guys pls ;_; should i have gotten the F version and be happy with a 144hz panel ? as well as freesync (its meh but whatevs nvidia cards support it now)

Last edited:
Caporegime
feeling a bit of buyers remorse now for purchasing lg 950g ;/ help me guys pls ;_; should i have gotten the F version and be happy with a 144hz panel ? as well as freesync (its meh but whatevs nvidia cards support it now)

Nah, I'd gladly have the G too as it has its own strengths. Very little between 120/144hz. Just enjoy it man, pretty epic **** :D :cool:

Associate
I think the G-version is still superior, i am just not sure if it is worth a couple hundred more. The thing with freesync is, that it applies the same overdrive setting regardless of the hz the monitor is running at (usually and on this monitor its optimized for 144hz), leading to significant overshoot at lower than 100hz (according to PCMonitors). So if you dont always upgrade your gpu to the get 100+fps in AAA games the g-sync version is the safer bet. Moreover the picture on the F-version is sharper on 120hz anyways, because the response times are too slow for 144hz (according to tftcentral). Input lag and response times are lower on the g-version and you get the glowy ring thing, i guess :D . So the things the F-version has going for it are FRC, an SRGB-mode and the lower price imo.

Associate
To be honest, I can't decide between the two models either. I can imagine that with the F-model the higher input lag could bother me. The other question is if my setup will be able to push games in this resolution over 120 FPS all the time (using a 9900K, 2080Ti...).

If the new F firmware brings the input lag closer to the G model then I would tend to buy the F model. Actually I wanted to wait for the 38GL950G. But it will take some months until it will be available....and I don't wanna wait anymore :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
I can imagine that with the F-model the higher input lag could bother me.

I came from the Acer XB271HU and don't feel it BUT I run it at the Fastest overdrive preset and tend to adjust detail for a higher fps. The Acer was absolutely excellent in this regard, and for it to be so close as to not 'feel it' then I'm more than happy :)

Soldato
Yes I have the F and am using an eVGA 2080. Price wise I cannot say, but only because I have B-Grade monitors on a regular basis from OcUK to use in builds so might get a slight better price. Their were 2 on there and I *think* the other one went for £949 but I'm not 100%.

Fair enough, do you think 2080 is good to drive this monitor? I am thikthin about getting 2070 or vega 64 and I'm worried it might not be enough.

Caporegime
Fair enough, do you think 2080 is good to drive this monitor? I am thikthin about getting 2070 or vega 64 and I'm worried it might not be enough.

2080 is personally the minimum I'd use to drive this resolution as I like higher fps but the 2070 or Vega should do fine. If you just want to plug in and play games then get the 2070, great performance out of the box. If you don't mind fiddling around with undervolting etc to get the best out of the Vega then get one of those, good value at £400 atm :)

Associate
AFAIK it reduces the input lag and extends the Freesync range from 55-144 to 48-155. Overall a general gaming improvement.

And I can verify the new FreeSync range works a treat!
No idea how to verify the input lag. Maybe I'm too old to notice it being "slow".
Certainly just as responsive as my prior Gsync based setup.

Back
Top Bottom