The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
The buying/selling process in this country is retarded but it comes down to how much of a disruption is caused to you personally if you tell them to do one?

Have you got other highly interested buyers? Will they offer the same value or go in 10k lower because your more desperate? Are the people you are buying from happy to wait on you?

It's all well and good standing your ground, but the only person hurt by that is you if you lose the place you want and any money already and paid out.

Good luck!

Soldato
I'd give a little, just to grease the wheels.

The property portfolio mother might want to demonstrate her property prowess, and the parents are likely contributing to the funding. Get them offside and they'll soon persuade the young couple that there are plenty more properties out there that are more right for them. Just play the game, concede a little and hold on to more (our parents gave us the light fittings as a wedding gift so we really can't let them go or some ********).

Soldato
@Goodie tough one - thought about ringing the guy and bypassing his MIL - or keep it going by offering a single thing they want, and then stating if they want the lot it will cost X. They might be willing to up the offer for things you don't ultimately care about in the grand scheme of things!

Also worth mentioning to them that there's lots of interest in the property - that's obviosly for a good reason....

Edit: I would put good odds on the mother's portfolio being a dead relatives house that's been inherited...

Associate
The home buyers report for the house we are selling point out some possible damp issues (we have never had/treated any damp problems) and the buyers have had a damp expert come in and has quoted them £1500 to fix the "issue" and they are asking us to pay for it. they are first time buyers so i kind of understand their caution but i am not sure where we stand as there isnt a damp problem to be fixed!

anyone else had to deal with something similar?

Soldato
I'm starting to get abit miffed now. It's been 8 week and should have had a completion date by now I'll make the story brief.
-I'm a first time buyer and seller split with his girlfriend so the property is vacant and they've moved back with parents.
- for some reason they've gone with 2 separate solicitors
-they split on bad terms so don't really talk
- my solicitors have been waiting for some enquiries answering and a mine report, the seller(guy) said his ex is dealing with mine report and this worry me as she's been nothing but a pain to the point of talking about ripping the new carpets out. Occusing the estate agent of knowing her ex and taking sides yada yada.
- he says hes sent everything and his solicitor hasn't chased him yet I've had an email today from his solicitors saying there awaiting documents.
- high chance his solicitor or his ex is holding up either that or he's lieng. This is the only thing holding an exchange and completion date and has been for 2 weeks.

Associate
Finally exchanged and completed on my new house on Friday. It's been a pretty hellish 11 months since putting my previous house on the market.

Firstly it took 5 months to get an offer on that then after about a months wait to make sure that was going through I started looking seriously which added another 2 months.

The first house I put an offer on needed far more doing to it than I anticipated which wasted another month.

It then took 3 months to the day since my offer was accepted on the house I just bought which considering it was empty and there was no chain I think is ridiculous.

I certainly won't be moving again any time soon.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It then took 3 months to the day since my offer was accepted on the house I just bought which considering it was empty and there was no chain I think is ridiculous.

I certainly won't be moving again any time soon.

Its just a really ****** process. We have a first time buyer for ours and have had minimal issues but our seller has been utterly awful. We have been clear from the start that we would like to move quickly and they said they were happy with that. Since then they appear to have done nothing but stall and be a nightmare. There is literally us, first time buyers and our sellers who are moving into rented.

They didn't do anything for the first month post sale agreed. Then they made up some BS about their solicitor being away on holiday for 3 weeks. They then didn't do any paperwork until the day before the solicitors disappeared for nearly 3 weeks over Christmas. They have then been largely useless with any queries we have and their general attitude is "look at your survey" and "suck it up" when we query anything.

They are going into rented accommodation yet they are taking pretty much everything from the house including fitted curtain poles and wooden blinds (for bay windows which are segmented and all the wooden blind panels are different sizes to fit the different panels). They are taking a load of plants from the garden as well.

It all just feels like they are dragging their heels and generally being a bit ****** with us but hey ho. Hopefully it will all be over in the next few weeks.

If they were just honest with us it would have helped massively but I guess that wouldn't be good for them if we didn't like their honesty. If they just said "we don't want to move over christmas because of our young child" or something along those lines we would have said "thats fine, no worries" but their time wasting and lack of communication is frustrating.

Still, exited to have a house instead of a flat and to be moving closer to friends.

Soldato
How many viewings is normal for one house?

People have said they only viewed once and made an offer, are multiple viewings worth it or not?

I would recommend at least 2 as a minimum and one must be when its light outside to allow a better insepection. That said for one of our buy to let's we only viewed it once but got my Dad to view it on another day also. As for multiple viewings it also depeneds on the demand. Would have to weigh up the second viewing against potentially losing out to another offer.

Soldato
How many viewings is normal for one house?

People have said they only viewed once and made an offer, are multiple viewings worth it or not?

Viewed twice before making an offer, will go back again and take some measurements once contract has been exchanged.

Tbh, if im parting with that much money, I will view it as many times as I feel is necessary.

Soldato
Viewed one house twice and left It and the other once. Glad it was only once before I put an offer in as 3 of us bid with it being on the market for 2 days. Being a first time buyer helped win.

Associate
Viewed twice before making an offer, will go back again and take some measurements once contract has been exchanged.
Tbh, if im parting with that much money, I will view it as many times as I feel is necessary.

Houses in the area we wanted (That we could afford) don't come up very often (one or two a year) so we put in an offer 30min after walking out the door.
We went in 7% below asking (We got that to 14% by the end) on that first call as we were first time buyers and they were motivated sellers.

Visited the property maybe 4 times since then to check on things and start planning the renovation.

Being a first time buyer abd ready to go is a very powerful negotiating tool atm.

Soldato
I would recommend at least 2 as a minimum and one must be when its light outside to allow a better insepection. That said for one of our buy to let's we only viewed it once but got my Dad to view it on another day also. As for multiple viewings it also depeneds on the demand. Would have to weigh up the second viewing against potentially losing out to another offer.

Cheers both. :)

Market is pretty stale at the moment, waiting for some better houses to come along. :)

Soldato
Anyone got any insight or experience on central London estate agents fees for selling?

We've had valuations from a few estate agents in the last couple of weeks, with fees ranging from 2% to 2.5%. I have no intention of paying the 2.5% and I was wondering if anyone had successfully negotiated down to 1% for Zone 1-2 property?

Soldato
Anyone got any insight or experience on central London estate agents fees for selling?

We've had valuations from a few estate agents in the last couple of weeks, with fees ranging from 2% to 2.5%. I have no intention of paying the 2.5% and I was wondering if anyone had successfully negotiated down to 1% for Zone 1-2 property?
Have you tried purple bricks?

Soldato
Have you tried purple bricks?

The experiences I've heard from a few people I know are less than positive. Furthermore, we don't really have the time to play an active role in the sale process - I'm swamped at work, and my wife if 7.5 months pregnant, so happy for an agent to manage the process.

Soldato
The experiences I've heard from a few people I know are less than positive. Furthermore, we don't really have the time to play an active role in the sale process - I'm swamped at work, and my wife if 7.5 months pregnant, so happy for an agent to manage the process.
We used PB and played pretty much zero part in the viewings/sales process.

Back
Top Bottom