Motherboard for Ryzen 5 2600

Soldato
Hi welcome

Hard to say what board you would need if you were planning on a 12 or 16 core Ryzen 3000. A high end board such as the Gigabyte Gaming 7, Asus Crosshair or ASRock Taichi etc would give you the best chance. For one of the 8 core versions then a mid range board with decent VRM's should cope fine i.e MSI B450 Tomahawk.

There is a new X570 chipset being released which supposedly have beefed up VRM's. Best person to ask on that would be @orbitalwalsh

Soldato
x570 boards will be packing VRM - think what Gigabyte and MSI have done with z390 and left asus trailing .

and again, if your gunning for ryzen 2***, i'd wait for 4*** series to replace it 2020. your spending a lot of cash to replace a chip in 6 months time . Most users didn't move from ryzen 1*** to 2*** as it was optimisation , which 4*** series should be over 3***

if you know your going to be aiming for 12 core ryzen in the next 2 years, would be x470 board, and a flasgship at that . yes ryzen 7 has low TDP and unlike intel don't taste wattage as base level but at boost, when you manually overclock all cores the TDP does shoot up . same should be said for 7nm ryzen. Key to watch 7nm Vega release and see power draw it uses whilst being on the smaller node but increasing speed etc

Associate
OP
Thanks. Still... More I reed, less i know. So please tell me, what cpu and motherboard will you suggest to go with my asus 1070 and 144hz monitor. Next upgrade will be in 2-3 years

Associate
Thanks. Still... More I reed, less i know. So please tell me, what cpu and motherboard will you suggest to go with my asus 1070 and 144hz monitor. Next upgrade will be in 2-3 years

This spreadsheet gives the best overview of the recent AM4 motherboards available (albeit on overclocking prowess, not Ryzen 3 compatibility, but I'd bet they're heavily linked):

xda4pmf92pw11.png

Personally, I've risked it with a very decent mid-range rated B450 motherboard. It has absolutely no problem with the 8 core/16 thread Ryzen 2700, staying very cool on VRMs. I too would potentially like to upgrade to a Ryzen 3000 in the future (assuming the 2700 isn't still thrashing every game that comes near it at the time).

Considering AMD intends to honour B350 era motherboards and 1xxx Ryzen's with the opportunity to upgrade to Ryzen 3, I've placed my bet that going super over-powered on a £250 X470 motherboard will not be entirely necessary/different from the B450 motherboards (i.e. both will be no go's for the 16 core/32 threads, or both will be okayed for it).

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

the B450 pro carbon AC is the best b450 board you can get and is even better than quite a few x470 boards so should probably get that if you want something affordable that performs great.

Soldato
Don't have money for top end stuff.
Msi b450 gaming pro carbon is max I can pay right now

I'm probably going to go with this and a Ryzen 5 2400G

This is for a budget setup with a bit of light gaming for the kids (fortnite most probably!). Looks a good board especially with WiFi and Bluetooth built in which i would have to buy separate with a cheaper board. Unless anyone else has any half decent recommendations?

Thanks

Associate
I ordered the msi b450 pro carbon and ryzen 2600, I may upgrade to the ryzen 3000 8 core depending on the IPC and clock speed gains. I still think the ryzen 2600 is going to be good enough for me for years so might not upgrade, coming from a sandybridge setup and I only use my pc for gaming/entertainment.
done quite a lot of internet trawling and yes its the best b450 motherboard, got better audio chipset than other boards + very good vrms. Built in wifi/bluetooth is a plus from me since I would have had to buy a wifi adapter anyway. cant reuse my current one since I'm handing it down to a family member

Associate
OP
I think gonna go for i5 8400.Its just chaeaper. Wanted to try ryzen but money is money. Im only playing games and using browser so...

Associate
OP
cpu +mobo +ram intel i cheaper. intel is happy with 130 euro ram. for ryzen you need 200 euro ram. If you tell me that corsair lpx 3000 ram is ok with ryzen I go with ryzen

Back
Top Bottom