Road Cycling

Soldato
You've nailed it.
Will look super nice. Tan walls look awesome on minimal wheels without all the decals especially if they are a bit deeper. I think it will look nice pal.

Cheers buddy that’s a great help, I have such poor taste when it comes to matching stuff up I didn’t want to risk it without others opinions!

Soldato
I've got home brew snow tyres for when it gets really bad. When I last used them in real anger I was the fastest thing I saw that day.
Ah yes, I remember them! Not tempted today?

I also was one of the fastest things today, I walked to the end of the housing estate I live on as the roadways where like an ice rink, the main B road through being cleared (salt/grit & vehicles). Cue tons of compacted snow/ice in my cleats! While clearing them at least 5-6 vehicles struggled to leave the estate (pulling away from the junction). Some just flooring it rather than pulling away carefully. Making it worse for anyone else, Idiots! My other half pulled away perfectly with only a minor spin. Have taught her well! (she also knows with me stood there I'd have tutted, haha!). Traffic lights on route meant I had a nice tow 1/2 of the way to work (not quite as quick as yesterday) as they where all driving so carefully along the perfectly clear road after their mad wheelspinning earlier. #caridiots :rolleyes:

I really hate the snow so I'm well chuffed it's completely missed Birmingham, we've not had a flake. Traffic here needs no excuse to grind to a halt, any amount of snow and things slow to a crawl, plus then at home we live on top of a steep hill so generally we struggled to get our cars onto the drive, and then when on the drive and wanting to go out its risky - once my car slid down the whole hill sideways and I just had to sit and wait for it to come to a stop, fortunately managed to miss several parked cars brick walls and items of street furniture not to mention a pensioner and her dog - absolute miracle.
Yup, I was walking the dog at 6.30 this morning and after him nearly pulling me over (pavements clear, I step and slide on road just as he decides to tug!) I knew the side roads would be pretty bad. A little further along there's part of someones bumper and obvious tracks of someone going sideways and smacking the kerb.

Yep that’s my bike complete with those wheels and Corsa tyres, my concern was with the Hunt Wheels being deep and minimalist that Tan walls would’nt suit as the Fulcrums that are on it are quit loud with all the graphics which I’m not a fan of.

I think for now I’m going to use the Corsas as it will save me some cash, so basically Hunt 50 Aero with Dura Ace 140mm Rotors and Corsa G+ Tan Wall Tyres :)
Save even more cash (£50-60) by getting the silver rotors and just painting the fins black, rather than buying the Dura Ace? You're only sacrificing 14g (per rotor) + whatever paint weight by not using them.

You can probably easily remove the decals from the fulcrums if you so wanted (and they look too much with them?). You where right to ask as your frame looks pretty loud being stripes of contrasting Black/White! So you can rest easy now you have xdcx's blessing. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
@Roady wheels already ordered so the fulcrums will be moved on with stickers intact! And there’s no way I’m going to start painting Rotors lol plus it will give me a lovely warm feeling to have something Dura Ace on my bike and not just Ultegra :D

Soldato
I’m toying with the idea of a bike upgrade, the bike I’m looking at is the Canyon Endurace CF 8.0 which is £2400 delivered. With this option I’d hope to sell my 2018 Ultegra Disc Ribble Gran Fondo (paid £1800) for £1000 and also sell off the wheels tyres and Rotors from the Canyon for say £200 making the new bike upgrade £1200

Or I could just buy the Frameset for £1400 Delivered and move over the Ultegra Groupset from the Ribble to the canyon and sell off the Ribble’s Wheels and frameset for say £300 making this bike upgrade £1100

I already have my Hunt Aero 50s and Dura Ace Rotors to go with either option, so which option should I go with? Clearly there’s a £100 saving to be made with the second option but more work changing stuff over.

See this is what happens when your stuck inside all day with man flu!

Soldato
Boooo, ENVE SES 3.4 wheels turned up yesterday but are the older rim version which isn't tubeless compatible. Time to send them back and complain their specs listed were wrong.
Rubbish! Still not a total surprise!

Yay, Cervelo S3 Disc frame turned up and it's gorgeous.
Woohoo! Congrats! Pics & of the build please :D

I’m toying with the idea of a bike upgrade<snip>
I'd go with option 1. I know it's less of a project and on paper costs a little bit more, but we all know how much of a time and money sink a build is... It's all the little things which cost & are a PITA! :)

@Roady the pinnacle is rebuilt and may be ridden tomorrow if I can be bothered to go out in the cold!
Bwhaha! I wasn't that annoying, but the reminder and prospect of me being so worked! :D

besides my wife thinks 4 Bikes is enough!
Pffft, mine seems to think 2 is enough! But I'm slowly winning her over with the idea of a 3rd... Now just trying to justify the cost!

Kinda hoping the AMEX card she's just got and has to spend £3k in 3 months is a struggle, I'm sure I can 'help' her to hit the target for rewards lol

Tour de Zwift finished this weekend, finished strongly and enjoying the kick to my fitness/form it's given me. Love the feeling of getting stronger even when quite fatigued! :D

Am now the fittest I've been (according to Strava F&F) since August when I got ill several times in a row and was wiped out for 3+ weeks!

Soldato
I'd seen the local cycling club was running a reliability ride on Sunday morning, so was up and out early to get into town for the 9am start. Thankfully no ice anywhere as I bit nervous about ending up on my arse.

Hoped I'd find a group to work in, so I went for the 55 mile option. Rolled out from the start in the first group... and promptly got spat out the back within the first mile or so :eek: Latched onto a smaller group which came past but had to sit up as my HR was in threshold territory, not steady 55 mile ride territory! Just a bonkers pace for me - didn't see the either group again all day :( Trundled on solo until another lone rider caught me at some traffic lights. We worked together for a bit but he stopped for some food, but I carried on as it was far too cold to hang round. Got back home in sub 4 hours which is a decent pace for me. Nothing like being put in your place when you think you've had a decent few months on the turbo!

As a longer ride in pretty cold conditions (see Strava temp chart below - average temp 1 deg!), it does let me give a big further thumbs-up for the Galibier Mistral 2 bib tights. Like my first mini-review, temperature management seemed very good again to the point where you think about other things. Pad was excellent, with no or little movement. Very impressed for £75.

Also a thumbs-up for another recent purchase, some heavyweight Bridgedale Storm (waterproof) socks. With a thin liner and my Shimano winter boots they did a good job keeping my feet warm.

97Y3Cf1l.png.jpg

As ever, I'm very late to the party but I'm now a huge fan of a buff / snood / multi-scarf. I got one of the Galibier Vuelta scarfs in with my bib tight order (bonus!) and having something to pull over my mouth / nose on descents or easy sections was heaven yesterday.

Associate
Pffft, mine seems to think 2 is enough! But I'm slowly winning her over with the idea of a 3rd... Now just trying to justify the cost!

Kinda hoping the AMEX card she's just got and has to spend £3k in 3 months is a struggle, I'm sure I can 'help' her to hit the target for rewards lol

I still remember not so long ago when i got my 3rd bike and she had a go at me....seems such distance memory now....after a while, i just dont remember the 4th, 5th, 6th ...... lol (currently 8 bikes between us [3 mtb, 2 CX bikes and 3 road bikes], will be 9 soon lol)

Back
Top Bottom