Wanna buy a high lift jack?

Soldato
Hey guys, i do a lot of diy mechanicing and have done it all from a £30 amazon trolley jack :( its given up the ghost and barely gets my car off the floor. Plus ive wanted to do some bigger projects like dropping the transmission and changing the clutch etc. I cant realistically get a lift or build a pit so what are my jacking options for extensive driveway work? Obviously dont want to spend 1000's as im not a mechanic.

Have you checked the oil level?

Soldato
If its strictly for personal use, I would be inclined to stick with a trolley jack and axle stands and for the handful of times where bigger jobs are concerned go to one of those places that lets you rent a full on car lift for a day/week whatever.

Associate
I picked up a pretty decent 2 tonne rated low entry jack from Costco a few years back - made by Arcan. Possibly looks similar to the Sealey one but cost a lot less and looks very solidly built.

Talking of solidly built jacks previously I had the Arcan heavy duty steel versions 2.5 tonne I think but it was way too heavy for even moving from the back garage out to where I park my car. An absolute beast but overkill for what I needed.

Permabanned
OP
thanks for all the input guys!! I'm probably gonna go with a solid floor jack so will browse the suggestions. I'm not worried about weight as I'm a competitive strongman so anything under 150kg is fine in one hand haha!

Associate
Doesn't the car end up at an odd height with this sort of lift? Do you end up working on your knees? It's too low to stand under and too high to be on your back.

You set the height you want to work at, it can lift the car up to 0.5m or so, but you don't have to go that high.

If you then tilt the lift so the back wheels are on the floor and the front in the air then it gives you even more height.

Back
Top Bottom