Screen wash fuse 2014 1.4 TDI

Associate
Hi all,
My screen wash has stopped working (no longer hear the motor sound, although the wipers still move) and I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice on how to fix it?
Unfortunately I don't know anything about cars, but from googling I have seen that it could just be a fuse that needs changing? So my first question is, where can I find the fuse box in my Polo 1.4 TDI 2014, and how do I open it?
Provided I then manage to find the fuse box, which fuse(s) need changing - does anyone have a diagram? And can I buy these from Halfords?
I really don't know what I am doing so any help would be very greatly appreciated!!!
Many thanks
icon_biggrin.gif

Associate
OP
I do have a handbook, this is what it says - "At the time of print we are unable to provide an up-to-date overview of the locations of the fuses for the electrical consumers. This is because the vehicle is under constant development, because fuses are assigned differently depending on the vehicle equipment level and because several consumers may use a single fuse. You can get more information about the fuse layout from a Volkswagen dealership."

Soldato
Looks like the fuse box is in front of your knees when your in the drivers seat and by looking online seems to point to fuse 17 which is a 7.5 amp the last one on the right on the top row.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Polo+1.4+TDI+2014+fuse+box&client=opera&hs=UK0&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Vl6xLeMlkSeUcM%3A%2C2oUPbMrcC7cVgM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kTGV4V7V9Q38I6SG-vD18aRVOY0tA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnt5fTp6TgAhXMRxUIHck2AnoQ9QEwAXoECAQQBg#imgrc=Vl6xLeMlkSeUcM:

A video here looks to be the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u3-L_58pig

Another video from a 2014 car here just to confuse things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRf6rlJOXsc

I am sure you will be able to tell the difference between the two when you get the cover off.

Soldato
Under the current weather circumstances, isn't it more likley that the windscreen wash fluid has frozen in the pump.

I come across this quite a lot. Most people do not realise that you have to use a much stronger concentration fluid/water mix in sub-zero conditions (1:1 or even neat) to stop the water from freezing.

If the pump has frozen, you will probabally have to replace it.

Associate
OP
So the pump could have defrosted but the fuse is still broken? If the pump has frozen, is there any way to defrost it without replacing it? I have only had the car 2 months :(

Soldato
It’ll defrost on its own if/when the weather warms up.

Screen washer reservoirs and their pumps can be well hidden and difficult to get at depending on the car.

You’re right to look at fuses first.

Where did you buy the car? Is there any warranty?

Associate
OP
I don't think I would be able to get anywhere difficult, I don't know what i'm doing or what any of the parts are.

I got it from Bristol Street Motors and have some sort of warranty, but it only covers certain things - i'm not sure if this is included. If the fuse change doesn't work, i'll ring them and ask.

Soldato
It's probably the fuse, seems to happen a lot to that range of Polos. I used to work with a girl who had it happen to her twice, both times she took it to a VW dealer and they replaced the fuse for free. The second time I offered to take a look at the fusebox to check if the fuse was actually blown but could never figure out which one was for the washer pump and none of the diagrams I could find online matched the layout either.

Associate
OP
Thank you to everyone for your help! I took the car to my local VW garage earlier today, and they changed the fuse (free of charge) which has fixed the problem - the screen wash works perfectly again now :D

Back
Top Bottom