340i is going. Need a (cheap)reliable car for 6 months. Spec me!

Soldato
Gentlemen, having a crisis with insurance and coupled with a situation at work it's time to sell the 340i.

I go away with work for 6 months, in 6 months which was when i was originally going to sell the car, but said insurance crisis, they're trying to charge me £200 a month which i'm not having, SO.

Something cheap, cheerful, and comfortable doing runs Manchester to Southampton on the odd occasion. Looking for something that I'll be able to get a decent percentage of my money back when i sell in July/august time; maybe £2/3k tops, and at this price point (therefore age/milage) looking for reliable.

Best thoughts so far are Ford, about to look into particular models such as Mondeo, Focus, and Fiesta.

Many thanks.

Also, anybody interested in buying a 340i? :p 66 reg, 29k miles

Associate
At this point I know I'm not going to have much option for preferences really. Automatic would be preferable but not a deal-breaker. Cheap tax helpful of course :)

Some of the slightly older gen Audi A3's are good, say 2006 area. I think you can pick them up fairly low prices (2-3k)

Seat Leon's are reliable, not the prettiest though in my honest opinion.

Ford Focus/Mondeo is also a good bet, same goes for Skoda Octavias.

Man of Honour
Something cheap, cheerful, and comfortable doing runs Manchester to Southampton on the odd occasion. Looking for something that I'll be able to get a decent percentage of my money back when i sell in July/august time; maybe £2/3k tops, and at this price point (therefore age/milage) looking for reliable.
for 6 months, does this not call for bangernomics? a £300 with a valid mot and then sell/dispose after?

Soldato
OP
Anyone have any sort of particular years/engines to be looking at for Ford Mondeos/Skoda Octavia's? Audi's are all over £1k to insure, while the aforementioned can be had for around £700

Thanks for the replies so far :)

Associate
Anyone have any sort of particular years/engines to be looking at for Ford Mondeos/Skoda Octavia's? Audi's are all over £1k to insure, while the aforementioned can be had for around £700

Thanks for the replies so far :)

Either the 1.9 TDI or 2.0 TDI for the Octavia, I can't say I'm too familiar with the Mondeo's though.

Soldato
Wait... you’re willing to go through the hassle of selling a practically brand new BMW which will still have a good chunk of manufacturer warranty and buy a £2-3k car which could easily throw up a large bill for the sake of £1200 on insurance? You’ll still have to insure the other car too. I suspect it’ll be barely worth the cost of changing unless you’re willing to go mega cheap. Also you’ll be getting into something rubbish in comparison.

Soldato
OP
Brief situation. Car was going to be sold in June at the end of my previous insurance policy. Underwriter went bankrupt in December so insurance policy has been cancelled. Cheapest quote I can get is £1900 for a year, but I go away in July for 6 months, so while I will be cancelling anyway, insurance will cost me £1600 up until that point.

Furthermore, car is costing £450 on the loan a month, and my previous justification for keeping it until July was 4 weeks and 2 weekends over in Germany before July, however we're now down to just 2 weeks.

Hope this makes more sense :p

Caporegime
Hasn't had any effect really
From the sounds of it it has though?

I’d speak to your insurance company and explain why the old policy was cancelled, if they assume the insurance was cancelled through some issue with you, you’ll be penalised heavily.

Surely the previous policy was cheaper or did you just go all “man maths” and then realise your car was bankrupting you?

Anyway, mondeo for the commute.

Back
Top Bottom