• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Associate
@Gibbo I've ordered and I'm still at 'Order received - not shipped yet' so I suppose there's still time for the to change, however....

Halifax denied my first payment (security thing), despite the £££ being there. But the card still remained in my basket. When it's added to the basket is it taken off the stock register?

Just wondering if that few mins of set back has pushed me out.

Soldato
I would expect improvements with driver releases, so performance wise I would say it's decent. But wow on those noise levels, will AMD ever get a reference fan solution that works.

I had been wanting to hold off to see how the Radeon VII reviewed before deciding 2080 or RVII. I'm glad I didn't now and I opted for a B-Grade Inno3D X2 OC at £578 inc delivery.

It's just OK and certainly a viable option for performance, but without getting those acoustics fixed I would be wary.

Permabanned
no Battlefront 2 or Fortnite ? :( or even Forza Horizon 4 ? :(

There are too many games which don't work normally on the VII :( Don't know how the balance would shift if they removed the ones that don't work and instead put the mentioned by you.

One thing is for sure - in 3 years this thing will be on par with RTX 2080 even in the most geforce-oriented titles.

Permabanned
Is it just me or are the benchmark's a huge dissapointment?

It was a similar situation when the Vega 56 & 64 released, but we've ended up with a great set of cards as long as you stick with AMD only companies like Sapphire, Once the dust settles & we see some drivers updates it will start looking better.

Shaky starts are an AMD speciality.

Associate
I do believe that the Radeon 7 WILL get faster, as drivers come out , more and more performance will be gained
dont take the current reviews and benchmarks as true fact
Agreed. However I don't think that there will be anything to be gained through overclocking through driver optimisation so right now the best to hope for is matching the 2080 overclocked once the drivers are optimised and then in a year or 2 matching the 2080ti.
Worst case is matching a stock 2080 once the drivers are sorted and then in the future matching and overclocked 2080 and beating it in vram limited games which I can live with.

Permabanned
Soldato
Sorry for the off topic but man, I loved Universe and was gutted when they canned it after one season. So much potential :(

2 seasons. It was a real struggle for me to get through season 1, but season 2 was great and was disappointed it was cancelled. But then again, it suffered from unnecessary BSG Syndrome: just because the Battlestar Galactica reimagining was so successful, it seemed everybody had to do dark and gritty for their shows, and after 15 seasons of campy Space Opera that was SG:1 and Atlantis, going dark and gritty for SG:U felt at odds with what came before.

Ah well :(

But back to the Radeon 7 :p

Associate
I do believe that the Radeon 7 WILL get faster, as drivers come out , more and more performance will be gained
dont take the current reviews and benchmarks as true fact

Agreed. Reviews are up and down. It's pretty much neck and neck.

It's day one. Drivers will get better, fan profiles will improve etc.

Really excited!!!

Associate
It was a similar situation when the Vega 56 & 64 released, but we've ended up with a great set of cards as long as you stick with AMD only companies like Sapphire, Once the dust settles & we see some drivers updates it will start looking better.
I'd expect that to be pretty much spot on. Since reviewers are saying the drivers are quite shaky, well below AMD's usual standards, I suspect in a few months the R7 will have no trouble edging out the 2080.

Soldato
I want to see if theres any similarity between the VII and V 64/56 if any undervolting is implemented. It seems to hold it's max boost clock, 1750mhz, as far as I've seen, but those fans quite frankly are ridiculously loud, so maybe u/v can curb the temps, and so the noise hopefully.

Associate
From looking at the reviews, I get the impression that the hardware is awesome and the reviewer drivers *suck*. However, very good promising UV figures from computerbase.de's review. I'll be interested whether anyone has tried the Radeon VII 19.2.1 drivers yet...

Back
Top Bottom