• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Soldato
Computerbase.de did some undervolting tests. At least that seems to fix noise levels without affecting performance. So it looks like some minor tweaking will help acoustics, not great but much better than stock.

Same performance and 70w less than stock and it consumes less power than 2080FE
https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://www.computerbase.de/2019-02/amd-radeon-vii-test/2/#abschnitt_undervoltage_ist_der_eigentliche_koenig_der_radeon_vii_uv

Noise volumes also drop quite significantly with undervolting, which brings noise down to FE 1080Ti or 2080Ti levels.

"On the credit side, at least the fan noise of the Radeon VII falls on pleasantly. Unlike the radial fan of the Radeon RX Vega 64, the fan does not make an unpleasant buzz whatever the speed. If you want to overclock the graphics card, you have to live with an even higher noise level. On the other hand, the Radeon VII is significantly more civilized in undervolting. Then the fans settle for 2,250 revolutions, which results in still not quiet, but not disturbing 42 decibels."

Caporegime
It's a bit baffling why they gave it such a mental fan curve at what would be considered lower temps for a gpu. :confused:

Starting to think a liquid cooled version of this would have been preferable.

Caporegime
It's a bit baffling why they gave it such a mental fan curve at what would be considered lower temps for a gpu. :confused:

I hated the cooler on the Titans and the noise was too much. This Vega 7 is just as bad. Needs water cooling for sure.

Permabanned
I'd expect that to be pretty much spot on. Since reviewers are saying the drivers are quite shaky, well below AMD's usual standards, I suspect in a few months the R7 will have no trouble edging out the 2080.

From looking at the reviews, I get the impression that the hardware is awesome and the reviewer drivers *suck*. However, very good promising UV figures from computerbase.de's review. I'll be interested whether anyone has tried the Radeon VII 19.2.1 drivers yet...

AMD needs to work and optimise these games on the VII:

The Witcher 3
Just Cause 2
Wolfenstein 2
Divinity Original Sin 2
Rainbow Six Siege
Monster Hunter World
Hitman 2
Civilization VI
Darksiders 3
Dragon Quest XI

If they do it, the VII will be between 2080 and 2080 Ti.

Caporegime
I hated the cooler on the Titans and the noise was too much. This Vega 7 is just as bad. Needs water cooling for sure.

Watching the oc3d review and TTL brings up a good point with it being 7nm and that means a smaller surface area to have heatsink contact on. Think they should have done what nvidia used to do on some cards and have an IHS over the core to provide a bigger surface area for the heatsink. Though that probably leads to other issues with what do they put between the ihs and the core, tim or can a gpu die be soldered like a cpu die?

Soldato

The Witcher 3
Just Cause 2
Wolfenstein 2
Divinity Original Sin 2
Rainbow Six Siege
Monster Hunter World
Hitman 2
Civilization VI
Darksiders 3
Dragon Quest XI

AMD cards improve with age, so I think there's more to come from the VII.

Caporegime

The Witcher 3
Just Cause 2
Wolfenstein 2
Divinity Original Sin 2
Rainbow Six Siege
Monster Hunter World
Hitman 2
Civilization VI
Darksiders 3
Dragon Quest XI

Agreed. They are a fair bit behind overall and at 1080P, the 1080Ti is 10% faster overall and that is a 2 year old card :(

Permabanned

Looks like the drivers are not ready for the VII, hence they are just being cautious.

Back
Top Bottom