• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Caporegime
Yeah overpriced (hence why i was secretly hoping it was £500 especially after seeing the benchmarks) Story of graphics cards just lately.

The 16GB of HBM has pushed this into being too expensive to appeal.

This performance at £500 would be acceptable. At £650 it's unpalatable. Especially with noise, cooling and driver issues.

Caporegime
The 16GB of HBM has pushed this into being too expensive to appeal.

This performance at £500 would be acceptable. At £650 it's unpalatable. Especially with noise, cooling and driver issues.

A shonky release to say the least. They release a card with driver issues, a cooler going into overdrive mode, broken overclocking and limited availability.

I don't know how they managed this seeing as its just a die shrunk Vega..

Caporegime
Most reviews compare favourably against the RTX 2080 ; btw OC3D will be running some compute heavy workloads as the card is an FP64 monster ; which ofc bodes well for DXR and DML once enabled.....

It's a decent card overall and as mentioned by a few reviews the drivers are torpedoing this launch. The cooler is an issue thanks to this one sensor that seems to crank the fans up hard despite the thermals of the rest of the gpu being lower.

Soldato
A shonky release to say the least. They release a card with driver issues, a cooler going into overdrive mode, broken overclocking and limited availability.

I don't know how they managed this seeing as its just a die shrunk Vega..
I bought one, and I don't understand it either it's hair is messy and it smells you think they would have made them selves presentable to show the world

Associate
tweak town says 445w when over clocked 380w when under full load standard :eek: are there figures off or can you toast and dry hair at the same time. that's gonna get hot, no wonder it sounds so loud.

Caporegime
I'm also confused why a major die shrink hasn't seen an increase in transistor count and stream processors. In fact the latter has gone down.

I wonder why AMD didn't make a larger GPU and clocked it lower as this usually results in better efficiency. Rather than a small GPU clocked to the limit. Yield issues in their 7nm?

Caporegime
I'm also confused why a major die shrink hasn't seen an increase in transistor count and stream processors. In fact the latter has gone down.

I wonder why AMD didn't make a larger GPU and clocked it lower. Rather than a small GPU clocked to the limit.

Would have added more to power consumption which was already a bit on the high side so they just seemed to do a die shrink and not much else.

Soldato

I wonder why AMD didn't make a larger GPU and clocked it lower as this usually results in better efficiency. Rather than a small GPU clocked to the limit.

Because AMD haven't made an explicit gaming card. This is a repurposed MI50 PR stunt to fill a window of opportunity left open by Nvidia.

Caporegime
Most reviews compare favourably against the RTX 2080 ; btw OC3D will be running some compute heavy workloads as the card is an FP64 monster ; which ofc bodes well for DXR and DML once enabled.....

NO, RTX and ML/DL has no need for FP64 support at all, quite the opposite, all about FP16 and INT8

Caporegime

I wonder why AMD didn't make a larger GPU and clocked it lower as this usually results in better efficiency. Rather than a small GPU clocked to the limit. Yield issues in their 7nm?

Because 7nm is a very expensive process and not mature enough for bigger dies

Back
Top Bottom