• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Permabanned
I got a Vega 64 day one from OCUK too, just sat back and read the forum and never commented lol. My Vega 64 got a 2 hour check and then I waited for the EK block to arrive. Its a very good card 1677Mhz @ 1120mv, 1100mhz HBM for everyday settings. 35C max (hit 42C last summer when the ambient was far higher) on the core when my loop finally equalises temp. Its worth blocking all high end cards weather they are Red or Green as they come to life, temps are massively reduced, and noise becomes down to rad fans.

I think the V64's are great cards, Once the next gext Ryzen cpu's appear I'm going to grab one and if I haven't already put an AIO on my V7 I'll do a full loop, A 12 core Ryzen with a 16gb Vega should last long enough to make it worth doing. The 7's are definitely being held back at the moment, Trying to use the new software for overclocking is a joke.

I just did a run of Firestrike extreme with the stock clock VII to compare with some of my overclocked V64 Red Devil scores & it's definitely not where it should be, I'm going to run a suite of in game tests now & work on getting it user friendly, It wasn't loud while doing the Firestrike run but I'll have to see how it is during a gaming session.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/18224926/fs/17703826/fs/17703541/fs/16907542/fs/16907m464#

@drskiba It looks real good mate, I was just admiring OC3D's set up where he's done the same thing.

Associate
Got the card undervolted to 932mV from a stock (1048mV) which drops the fan speed under load to 1700 with about a 5% gain in performance. It's pretty much silent at that speed. Very happy with it.

Not sure if this is normal or a software bug than but with the two cards I purchased, one had a higher default voltage the other in wattman. The one with a higher voltage did not undervolt as well getting to about 980mV resulting in a fan speed under load of about 2450.

Associate
Just installed mine. Quick run of timespy (stock settings) :-

Old card (MSI 980TI, boosts to approx 1400)

Overall Score - 5,635
Graphics Test 1 - 39.08 fps
Graphics Test 2 - 34.46 fps

Radeon VII

Overall Score - 7,650
Graphics Test 1 - 63.05 fps
Graphics Test 2 - 48.38 fps

So for me, in this test at least approx a 50% increase over previous, although likely CPU bound. Will try a few games later at native monitor res.

Fan noise is definitely quite loud under load (especially compared to the 980ti) but not noticeable at idle. Will try some tweaking later. :)

Man of Honour
Ok so its in and this is how she looks:

Excessive RAM - Check
Excessive CPU cores- Check
Excessive Video Memory - Check
Excessive RGB - Check

Looks like I am ready to go!

Uzu

Uzu

Associate
Undervolts at 956mV if i try below 950mV it crashes.

But runs fast and quiet enough in my 280X

Just hope that X570 m-ITX boards become a thing soon.

6450-A343-2-CDE-407-B-A7-AB-989043053-E0-B.jpg

Permabanned
Now I've had a proper look at the overclocking software I can see it isn't as bad as I thought, but it isn't as good as the previous version.

At the moment it's like the 7nm Vega's the exact opposite of the 14nm Vega, as in not an overclockers dream (too soon?).

The noise level isn't that bad for me, My case is a Corsair C70 and I have a pair of 14cm fans on the window pushing air straight to the card which might be helping it. At the moment I haven't done much too it, I've played a few races in Dirt 4 to see how it holds up under load for a longer period & it did well.

Happy so far but AMD have got a lot of driver work to do..

Associate
Wow, glad I didn't go to your school for maths lessons!! :p

It was a dump so I bet you are. ;) Rough calcs makes the GT1 R7 test 161% of 980ti. So an additional 61%. Conclusion - it's a bit faster. :p

Found wattman, dropped max voltage to 950mV which has helped things a bit with fan noise under load. Even though fans run when idle they are basically inaudible.

Associate
Recording with relive causes stuttering anybody else? It didn't happen on my nitro 64, did a fresh windows install btw. Also installed rvii specific drivers.

Back
Top Bottom