New Combi Boiler Quote

Soldato
Hi all,

Need some advice please as I'm a bit of a noob with this.

Combi boiler has failed and I've been quoted £2400 for a new replacement (30kW), parts and labour. I did ask for a 10 year warranty on the boiler but the price seems steep to me.

Is this the going rate?

Cheers! :)

Soldato
For a straight forward replacement?

That's about £200 more than I paid 3/4 years ago for a 30kW including the re-plumbing required to move it from the kitchen to the loft. That was about two full days on site for two people by the time they'd finished.

What would it cost you to buy the boiler you want? How much labour is going to be involved?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the response.

I would assume it's straightforward but the quote is also for chemical clean, calmag, magnetic filter and smart state for the boiler plus regs (is that just a smart thermometer?). Not sure if that makes the price any better. The boiler is about £1100 itself.

Associate
I've just paid BG £2350 to have a Worcester 34cdi, with Boiler IQ, fitted on 2 yrs 0%, 5yr warranty (looking into Worcester's promo to extend to 7), straight swap, little bit of pipework, new flue (extended to meet current regs), chemical clean and re-used mag. filter; BUT, that was with a 25% discount as I used to work there and I'm still friends with employees and got a 'friends & family' discount.

I did get three other quotes, though. One was over £3500 (local company, taking the proverbial, prob didn't want the job); another was about £2800 and I think the third was about the same and they were for lesser boilers.

I was expecting BG to be expensive, but wasn't expecting the local competition to be so too (or does it mean BG are getting cheaper?)

With BG's 2 yrs 0%, even without the 25% discount, I may well still have used them.

EDIT: I see you've mentioned it already. :) Look up the new Boiler Plus regs. They stipulate new requirements including things like smart controllers/timers/thermostats. So it may be your existing controls don't meet them and they've quoted for new ones. BG tried to sting me for £250 for Hive saying my thermostat/timer wasn't good enough, but it was and after evidence from Honeywell, BG 'surveyor' removed it from the quote.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's what I paid last year, our last was irreparable and very old, it failed in January just six days after the birth of our daughter!!! Hence we just paid the going rate for a company that could carry out the work the soonest. Bosch 10yr warranty with the magnetic filters.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all.

Just to let you know I got this done today in the end. Worcester bosch with magnetic filter, 10 year warranty £2000 inc VAT. Thought that was a pretty good deal in the end and I had waited long enough!

Capodecina
Soldato
Recently when I wanted a new boiler installed I got British Gas to give me a quote. I then went onto a couple of Plumbing Forums and got loads of VERY helpful advice - including a recommendation for a local plumber who did a great job at a very reasonable price:

Highly recommended approach :)

Soldato
OP
Recently when I wanted a new boiler installed I got British Gas to give me a quote. I then went onto a couple of Plumbing Forums and got loads of VERY helpful advice - including a recommendation for a local plumber who did a great job at a very reasonable price:

Highly recommended approach :)

Thanks mate, good idea as well. Will remember that for next time!

Back
Top Bottom