Road Cycling

Soldato

There's a 45km climb across the water in Gran Canaria.;) I'm referring to the the virtual Zwift "climbs" and circle-jerking over Box Hill being easy.

I still need to tick off Teide, visit the Alps and I'd like to do the 105km Taiwan KOM climb one day. This year is the Dolomites though.

Soldato
All parts ordered for the build, replacement wheels for the returned Enve/I9's will look like:

318647d1492019858-cervelo-s3-disc-build-lightbicycle_46mm_tubeless_dt240_cxray.jpg

Soldato
Nice.

I even rode outside today! Turned the alarm off when it was raining this morning but the wind got up and dried it out.

Did some local hills to try and hide from the wind a bit, few hours felt about right. Might want a little tweak on my handlebar and shifter angles.

Soldato
Yeah I know it’s bonkers, ice I can understand but a bit of the wet stuff....

I don’t work Mondays so if I can get my chores done I might go out for a solo ride :)

Perhaps no ride leaders fancied the ride so couldn’t officially put on a club run due to not being covered in the event of an accident!

Soldato
Realsies of course! Fewer than 900 out of 100,000 times logged on the official segment are under 6 minutes.

My point was any climb can be hard if you want it to be, but no, Box Hill isn't objectively more difficult than climbs up norf or even locally in Surrey. The appeal of Box Hill is it feels like a taster of a French Col with its steady gradient and couple of switchbacks.:D
This is it really.

I think it just has such a huge name due to the London following, being 'the climb' from RideLondon, while also being iconic after ridden for the WC's etc.

Also most of the world thinks UK = London. Annoys me no end. Almost as much as being called English. Can of worms lol

No riding for me this weekend, missing the reliability that's on, as I've got work then a Japanese restaurant tomorrow with a few beers and chillinghanging out my a** contemplating what the hell happened and trying to survive a Holton Hangover with the mrs on Sunday :cool:
Edited for you. ;) :p

Teehee. Do like the look of those new XR rotors mind!

Agree the chainring & PWM 'one piece' is a bit of a kick in the teeth, also when you consider the 1x and aero rings obviously have an entirely different PWM in each. So although a good price, it carries quite a premium to exchange things - you need to make sure you've got the right setup to start with. Replacements for worn ones at 50% discount is a nice touch for those who do go that route though.

EDIT: 1x chainrings are replaceable without changing PWM. Bizarre!

EDITEDIT: Scroll down a bit to see that Orange/Gold Scott Addict Gravel the reviewer is riding. Beautiful! @randomshenans :o

I guess the Zwift one must be longer. When I rode that I had a broken hand and I'd been off the bike 3 weeks.... I couldn't change gear very easily so that's why it wasn't faster :D

Everytime i’ve done it on Zwift it’s been part of a longer effort. I could add another 120w if it was just the short effort up.

Only did Box Hill twice during a single social ride event last year at 216W, while I was new to turbo training and had a much lower estimated FTP, I'd expect to knock chunks off that 10min27secs given I did 342W for ~8mins recently https://www.strava.com/activities/2100626031/analysis/13/489 on Stelvio Pass.

All I can hear is excuses. 3 of them! :p ;)

To be fair I should put a proper effort in, all my times are from races over multiple laps. Have 'only' ridden it 31 times with 3 of those under 8 minutes. None of them on my Flux, with the closest on there being 8:06!

Setting myself a challenge, I guess... Also a challenge to any of you - who can get under 8 minutes (who's not already)! C'mon! :D

You guys need to get out and do some real climbs.:p

I'm doing the actual Stelvio in August.
Jealous! Want lots of pics, but also a proper effort up there! ;)

Showoff.

Club ride called off again this morning because of the rain, thank god for Zwift! We’re so lucky to have the Zwift option over the winter :)
Our club social was called off last weekend due to the rain, it wasn't even that bad and a couple rode anyway. Went ahead this saturday but only me and 1 other guy turned up (we're much more of a social group than a real club anyway, so most we get out is 4-6 regulars, maybe as many as 10 once or twice a year).

https://www.strava.com/activities/2135054491

The route they had set (one of the shop guys plots routes for us, none of the staff ride with us anymore), wasn't a particularly hard one but the big outward leg had large stretches of open/exposed roads into the block headwind. It was brutal but we rode it well, not really worrying about the average speed which was obviously pretty low! The couple of places with shelter the sun was beautiful and warm. The looping return didn't see us get more than 5-10 mins total of tailwind, mostly cross winds, but it felt warmer without the constant headwind. Several flooded roads and lots of filth around the back roads but felt really good to get out (my first time out in 2019?!). My legs held up well too, finished the ride feeling like I could do another 20-30 hilly miles. As we both live near each other we headed for home (rather than going back through all the traffic back to the shop for a coffee). Enjoyed that one, good 'base miles' kinda ride - which I've done very little of recently. :)

EDIT: After some banter on some of the local club guys getting into Zwift racing - check one of the ride titles from their weekend club ride :lol:

Last edited:
Soldato
All I can hear is excuses. 3 of them! :p ;)

I don't have a trainer or Zwift and I have no space to 'house' one at the moment otherwise I would give it a proper try. When I rode it I was using a borrowed 'dumb' trainer in the garden while it was 25C out.

I doubt with current levels of fitness and weight I wouldn't be surprised if I only match the time I did before.

Soldato
Nice. Love the sound of the F Type! Which engine is it?

JLR brought some to my work for test drives last year (small discount available). Mid way through arranging test drive and a colleague leans over and tells the girl booking my test drive that I have to be over 28 to drive over 2.0L Petrol :(

Soldato
I hate modern cars. Pretty much every single one of them.
But the F-Type is a beaut. I love them and the sound of the PROPER one is just fantastic.
And I now see you have commented to confirm you have the real deal. FU THOMAS. Gees a shot! :D :D

Back
Top Bottom