The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Looks like I might be completing on the 27th, so exciting times, been in my first house for nearly 9 years, luckily just moving around the corner, gaining a drive way, dining room and a much bigger garden :)

Associate
So my chain was fixed last week, turns out to be better than before. My buyers now have a buyer who is a cash buyer and currently in rented.

Mortgage wise going with halifax @ 1.81% for 3 years, valuation is booked for the 14th with my buyers valuation on my place booked for the 12th.

I think Easter might be the time I move, unless it goes quicker.

Soldato
Finally had a reasonable offer on my house Saturday morning which I duly accepted. Solicitors instructed this morning and hoping for a reasonably quick process. We aren't going up the ladder so only 2 sets of buyers in the chain and they have already sold / instructed on theirs 4 weeks ago :)

Soldato
Looks like spoke to soon :( House we are buying they are looking at completion of 22nd March, not ideal as I am getting married on the 23rd, going back to them tomorrow to find what is the earliest date we can move is now so frustrating

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
When we bought our place we went with O'Neill Patient who were just great. I remember someone saying we should go local (London) as these guys were in Stockport. To be honest, it makes very little difference their location, in my experience unless they need to have some specific knowledge of the area.

Good to hear. Anyone else here used O'Neill Patient for conveyancing? How about ConveyLaw?

Associate
Signed the contract yesterday, just waiting to exchange them now. Somewhere up the chain has their mortage offer expiring soon, so they need to get that renewed.

Soldato
Good to hear. Anyone else here used O'Neill Patient for conveyancing? How about ConveyLaw?

They have been bloody awful for us and have caused endless problems and delays. Given us wrong information, sent things to the wrong address, lied over chasing things when they haven't - check the Trustpilot for them. (side note, most 5 star reviews are from people who have only ever done 1 review / most 1 star is from people who have done multiple)

We raised all these concerns when our broker recommended them but he said this particular individual at O'Neil patient is amazing, never let him down and after our initial local options were a no go we went with this recommendation. Turns out was all bs and he's getting a massive kickback.

We will be adding our own experience to all review sites once this is completed, Mrs doesn't want to do this yet in case they get even more incompetent

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
They're quite a large organisation so doesn't surprise me some people will have a bad experience, it's like most things, rarely do people review a good experience. We had two people looking after us, nothing ever got missed and we got responses same day. Shame you are having a crappy experience those, it's stressful enough, you'd hope the pros could handle it and make it easy.

ONP were recommended to me by my broker so he probably got something but doesn't bother me, I got great service.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
They have been bloody awful for us and have caused endless problems and delays. Given us wrong information, sent things to the wrong address, lied over chasing things when they haven't - check the Trustpilot for them. (side note, most 5 star reviews are from people who have only ever done 1 review / most 1 star is from people who have done multiple)

We raised all these concerns when our broker recommended them but he said this particular individual at O'Neil patient is amazing, never let him down and after our initial local options were a no go we went with this recommendation. Turns out was all bs and he's getting a massive kickback.

We will be adding our own experience to all review sites once this is completed, Mrs doesn't want to do this yet in case they get even more incompetent

Interesting. They were the quickest to respond to us with a quote and pleasant. However they made it sound like we was getting a great deal with a big double figure discount as we went directly with them, but after the quote we went to have a look on moneysupermarket.com and they offered the same thing cheaper on there!

After telling them this I got a bit of attitude in the response and was offered a small discount to match the comparison website, but the discount was only valid for a few hours.... Yeah right!

Apparently another team of theirs deal with the pricing on online comparison websites. But what does that have to do with anything and why is that a concern of mine? Don’t think I will be bothering with them.

They're quite a large organisation so doesn't surprise me some people will have a bad experience, it's like most things, rarely do people review a good experience. We had two people looking after us, nothing ever got missed and we got responses same day. Shame you are having a crappy experience those, it's stressful enough, you'd hope the pros could handle it and make it easy.

ONP were recommended to me by my broker so he probably got something but doesn't bother me, I got great service.

I always think this also, but there are other companies which are cheaper and do not have the bad reviews on trustpilot. Plus with my little experience with them I think we can do better elsewhere unfortunately.

Soldato
I feel like I don't ask enough questions when viewing, any questions that I should definitely ask? I ask about boiler servicing, sellers position, chain etc, anything else?

Soldato
Ask open questions that they can be held to account for later if they make a false declaration. Simple stuff, such as:

- what are your neighbours like
- have you ever had any trouble with drainage
- did your survey raise any questions when you bought the property
- do you need to make any additional declarations to your insurers

etc etc

fez

fez

Caporegime
No one is honest about the property they are selling and unless you can prove that they have lied about something they have said in writing then it doesn't make any odds.

Caveat emptor is something I see constantly when it comes to house buying.

If paperwork came back saying that the house was haunted and that every third Sunday of the month you are contractually obligated to partake in a furries orgy in your house, our solicitor would not bother pointing it out. Honestly, from what we have seen and heard from others you are unlikely to move into a new property and a year later think "wow, everything about this house is perfect and the sellers were 100% honest". Either you haven't found or noticed a fault yet or you didn't ask your seller enough questions that they could lie to you about.

Back
Top Bottom