Desktop and laptop using same monitors

JEB

JEB

Associate
Need a bit of advice please.
I have a desktop that is hooked up to dual monitors. I have a laptop that I want to use on one of the monitors which I can switch to when needed.

So normally - desktop using both monitors.
Sometimes - desktop using one monitor and laptop using the other.

Can this be done by somehow hooking the laptop to one of the monitors using a DP cable (or other) and switching the laptop to the monitor when needed - without having to buy a KVM or anything of that nature?

If not is there a really simple switch type device that would do the trick without having to spend a fortune on it?

Many thanks

Soldato
If monitor has multiple inputs you can connect different sources to them and switch input from monitor's controls.
Otherwise there are so called "switches" for DisplayPort, HDMI etc.

JEB

JEB

Associate
OP
Hi yes the monitor has multiple inputs. Is it possible to switch using some sort of hot keys on the laptop instead of the monitor controlls? Will give that a spin.

Associate
The monitor might switch from PC input to laptop automatically if the PC is set to not include that monitor, but I don't know if there's an easy way to do that without going into the display settings every time. You could test it by having the PC and laptop both turned on, set the monitor to the laptop input, then turn off the laptop, see if it automatically changes back to the PC input.

Back
Top Bottom