Intermittent issues with booting up (A2 error on Dr. Debug) + sometimes Windows can't see SSDs.

Associate
My specs:
ASRock Taichi Ultimate Z390
Intel i5 9600K
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200
ASUS GeForce RTX 2080
Corsair RM750x PSU
Samsung 970 EVO as my OS drive in the M.2 slot
2 SSDs (for gaming) and a HDD (for storage)

The problem I've got is as follows:

Sometimes when I boot my machine up it's stuck on the POST screen and Dr. Debug shows error code A2 (connected SATA/IDE devices).
To fix it I turn the machine off using the power button and boot it back up straight after and then my PC works fine with everything working as expected.

In another case the PC boots up fine and then Windows either:
a) doesn't see the contents of the extra SSDs (the drives are listed and when you click on them it shows them as empty
b) doesn't see the SSDs at all
c) shows the SSDs with contents but they don't actually work (sometimes you can browse and every folders opens fine but the games won't boot)
d) works as intended (this is the most common case)
Worth mentioning is that the regular HDD is always visible and I would think it always works.

I tried changing SATA cables around and trying different ports but it with no luck.
I also tried disconnecting one of the SSDs but that did not fix the issue either.
The SSDs were used in my previous rig and there never were any issues with them.

Has anyone got an idea what this might be or what I can try?

Associate
OP
Hey, thanks for the welcome.

I've updated my BIOS recently to 1.90 so I'm on the newest one.
I can't see anything boot related in the event viewer or the reliability monitor, or maybe I can't find it.

Soldato
It might not be any boot related error but some storage driver error.

Might be also worth of shot to check what manufacturer's tool says about SSDs.

Associate
Have you tried updating the firmware on the SSDs? That shouldn't be necessary just to get them to work properly but maybe worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom