Interesting BT Issue

Associate
OP
Ethernet (Intel onboard NIC) shows 1gbps connectivity.
It's directly connected into the BTHomeHub, I've also tested having only my PC and HomeHub on the network.

Just swapped over the network cable from the back of my PC to the HomeHub too.
Just copied over a 550MB file from my NAS to my PC, without any ping degradation. So my NIC is totally capable of handling high throughput, and so is the HomeHub switching capabilities.

Edit 2: This smells of a local issue rather than the Internet connection. Your latency increases before it even leave your router judging by the tracerts posted earlier

Hop #2 --> 2 30 ms 20 ms 15 ms 172.16.16.61

This is where the latency starts in my opinion? This is the default gateway (aka - another router on BT's network) down the other side of the copper wire leaving my house. The latency starts at that hop, not my router - so doesn't that rule out a local issue?

The only SNR value I can get is this in the troubleshooting log from yesterdays reboot:

19:08:29, 07 Feb. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=72420Kbps, Up Rate=20000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.4dB, Up=6.7dB

Soldato
Ethernet (Intel onboard NIC) shows 1gbps connectivity.
It's directly connected into the BTHomeHub, I've also tested having only my PC and HomeHub on the network.

Just swapped over the network cable from the back of my PC to the HomeHub too.
Just copied over a 550MB file from my NAS to my PC, without any ping degradation. So my NIC is totally capable of handling high throughput, and so is the HomeHub switching capabilities.

Hop #2 --> 2 30 ms 20 ms 15 ms 172.16.16.61

This is where the latency starts in my opinion? This is the default gateway (aka - another router on BT's network) down the other side of the copper wire leaving my house. The latency starts at that hop, not my router - so doesn't that rule out a local issue?

The only SNR value I can get is this in the troubleshooting log from yesterdays reboot:

19:08:29, 07 Feb. DSL Link Up: Down Rate=72420Kbps, Up Rate=20000Kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.4dB, Up=6.7dB

Sorry yes you're right - was in a rush and misread it and pretty much rules out local. If you plug a phone in do you get any noise on the line? Without seeing BTs devices its impossible to say what the cause is but I'd go back to them again and ask to re-check. They can send out engineers to do a lift-and-shift in the exchange etc. but they will try and charge you for it if they don't think that's it. Do you have any neighbors on speaking terms that may be with BT that could test?

- GP

Associate
OP
Stats recorded 10 Feb 2019 20:58:27

DSLAM type / S
Modem/router firmware: AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode: VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime: 2 days 4 hours 17 min 31 sec
Resyncs: 0 (since 10 Feb 2019 20:58:24)
W version: BDCM:0xb12d (177.45) / v0xb12d

Downstream Upstream
Line attenuation (dB): 14.7 0.0
Signal attenuation (dB): Not monitored
Connection speed (kbps): 73406 20000
SNR margin (dB): 3.2 9.4
Power (dBm): 13.3 6.5
Interleave depth: 8 1
INP: 53.00 0
G.INP: Enabled Not enabled
Vectoring status: 5 (VECT_UNCONFIGURED)

RSCorr/RS (%): 0.0067 0.0000
RSUnCorr/RS (%): 0.0000 0.0000
ES/hour: 0 0

This is my TBB ping graph:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broa...hare/3231b72aaeddbe9affa9fa90faf557992b6ebe08

Associate
id say this is a pretty normal issue that many shared internet users have come across. if a broadband connection is being used then pings will not be consistently low like when the connection is idle. devices fight for the bandwith and its the streamer/downloader that wins as gaming traffic is not prioritized. how are the devices connected ? wireless? wired? tried capping the offending device so it cant max out the line as it buffers every 5 seconds ?

Associate
OP
id say this is a pretty normal issue that many shared internet users have come across.

I get that pings will not be perfect, when others are sharing the bandwidth, but the increase is not considered normal. I know this having kept an eye on my pings for the last 20 years, gaming, streaming etc..
You can test this yourself too, download something at 25% of your maximum download speed and then test your pings, this would be a good way of analysing whether my pings are higher or lower than expected, although I expect them to be much higher. I feel that your tagging this issue with a 'this is normal' tag, but forgetting that this is occurring at around 25% of bandwidth, not 75-100% of bandwidth.

Everything that needs a good connection, is connected via Ethernet (including the FireTV netflix box), everything else is connected via Wireless (mobiles, amazon echo etc..).

I've enabled QoS on my router for some testing later on. I'm going to be restricting QoS to only allow 50% of my usage to be chewed up by all devices in my home, with small udp packets to be priorities over fatter, longer lasting packets. It's a shame I have to try and workaround an issue at the BT end.

That sounds like normal buffer bloat to me, if you have a Ubiquiti router you can enable smart queues and test.

Have a look here for a good testing site: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Thanks RSR, already all over it. :)
I seem to have buffer bload anywhere between B, C and D running multiple tests.

I'm also testing from the thinkbroadband speedtests

My single thread downloads are all over the place (tbbx1), ranging from a reporting 3.5Mbps to 56Mbps
I got the Smart Queues enabled, I need to edit some of the download and upload settings to try and figure out how to get the most consistent and lowest pings.

Associate
OP
While looking into this - one of my colleague pointed me out to this:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/8274-caerphilly-added-to-list-of-fast-exchanges

Checked with bt.com - no gfast available on my account.
Checked with openreach - they say its ready.
Checked with another provider (zen) - they say they can provide me up to 130~Mbps

Called up BT, they said they can't provide it - as their systems have not yet updated and they basically see what I see on my account in bt.com
They say to wait a few weeks and keep checking the website, once its available there - it will be available to me.

Hopefully, this will mean they will have to move me on the infrastructure to somewhere new, especially as they will need an engineer visit to do it - which should mean they can physically test my line while they are there, to get max speed, low latency.

Back
Top Bottom