Your Fave Car Gizmo ?

Man of Honour
I thought most manufacturers had to remove remote start function? I heard it was due to some emissions regs?

Both BMW and Audi removed it from their ipotato apps... my friend was complaining the other day about losing it recently for his Audi and is disappeared from the BMW app a few months ago.

BMW have never had remote start on the connected app in the UK.

Soldato
My car doesn't have all that much, but rear parking sensors. Would not be without them now, how did I even reverse before this!?

I've seen some people say remote start/heating. what kind of wizardry is this!?

Looking forward to having heated seats and a built in sat nav though :)

Permabanned
OP
I would be doubtful any UK model has Remote Start as a factory fitted feature, seemingly in the UK it's illegal to leave an unattended car idling.

Why ?
**** knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
OcUK Staff
I would be doubtful any UK model has Remote Start as a factory fitted feature, seemingly in the UK it's illegal to leave an unattended car idling.

Why ?
**** knows.

Jaguar has it, both my SVR has it and work colleagues XE.
Also believe its on Range Rovers as standard.

So I am very glad Jaguar don't give a damn about stupid rules, because on cold mornings its absolutely epic getting into a warm car that has totally de-iced itself. :)

Associate
HICAS, rear wheel steering. I wasn't bothered and the common theme online is to fit an aftermarket lockout kit but actually having used it and now gotten used to it I quite like it.

Soldato
I still don't get the appeal of heated seats. Wife sticks them on full as soon as she gets in the car but I can't see the point. By the time they've warmed up enough to make a difference my natural body heat has made the seat comfortable anyway.

Now air conditioned seats are a different story. Absolute godsend in summer.

Soldato
Jaguar has it, both my SVR has it and work colleagues XE.
Also believe its on Range Rovers as standard.

So I am very glad Jaguar don't give a damn about stupid rules, because on cold mornings its absolutely epic getting into a warm car that has totally de-iced itself. :)

Anything post 2015 with automatic gearbox has it in the UK and other markets where allowed when remote services were selected. That service is now standard on all JLR stuff. I think disco sport is the only odd ball.

Guess adhering to diesel NOx emissions means they can focus on customer first stuff :p

Permabanned
OP
Anything post 2015 with automatic gearbox has it in the UK and other markets where allowed when remote services were selected.

Are you sure ?

I had 2017 Jag XF for a while and while it could lock/unlock the doors via a Mobile phone, no remote engine start.

Mercedes UK doesn't either, only remote door locking and vehicle location with the Mercedes Me system.

The Audi top range A8 hasn't got Remote Start in any of it's trim levels.

Soldato
I still don't get the appeal of heated seats. Wife sticks them on full as soon as she gets in the car but I can't see the point. By the time they've warmed up enough to make a difference my natural body heat has made the seat comfortable anyway.

Now air conditioned seats are a different story. Absolute godsend in summer.

Just out of interest which car do you drive, my Volvo heats the seats within seconds.

I would say adaptive cruise control, parking sensors and bluetooth have been incredibly useful

Soldato
Heated steering wheel.

I wish my car had this. I had a rental Mokka a couple of years ago, terrible car but the heated steering wheel in early March was wonderful. I'm not fussed about heated seats but the heated wheel even on the lowest setting was so much nicer than having warm air blowing at my hands.

One somewhat "clever" feature my car does have is related to the auto lights; they'll turn on when it rains, not just when it gets dark. Nice touch.

Why ?
**** knows.

The actual wording:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/1808/part/6/made

So you need to be told to turn your engine off first before you risk getting any sort of fine. Police/fire/ambulance do this all the time using systems designed specifically to allow it.

Back
Top Bottom