• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
If I turn down the settings they do go away. I have everything cranked to the max! I have done a little vid as well and added it to the bottom of that post. On mine they are there until you move then they go. Have a look at the video and you will see. In my eyes they look like they should be there or are some graphics setting. I might stick vega back in and see!

The other thing I question... after that room they go! I dunno man, im going to stick a vega in and have a look. My bet is that they are meant to be there or are a setting of some description. I could well be wrong.

Because you are saying they go away if you turn down the settings; Have you tried to bump up the voltage while you saw those things ?

I saw some weird artifacts with lights and sparkles in heaven benchmark while tuning the card. Those where first signs of instability. After slightly more core or reducing the clocks a bit down they disappeared.

Soldato
Because you are saying they go away if you turn down the settings; Have you tried to bump up the voltage while you saw those things ?

I saw some weird artifacts with lights and sparkles in heaven benchmark while tuning the card. Those where first signs of instability. After slightly more core or reducing the clocks a bit down they disappeared.
This is different to the sparkles it's a driver related thing on one specific game,. It's all good

Associate
Which of these should we be using X64 or X86?
Which of these should we be using X64 or X86?
I used the X64 and it's quoting "BIOS Date 2019/01/19 13:25" now. GPU-Z still doesn't tick the UEFI box though. But I'm currently booted with fast boot and CSM disabled. That dating lines up with the asrock bios on the tech power up database too which has the UEFI support.
I'm on a Sapphire card.

qr8o4Y9.png

Soldato
Im torn as to what to do now, the new drivers have improved stability and timespy doesnt cause a complete system crash anymore.

I can return and replace with a 2080 but it may improve over time. Very frustrating. It just annoys me when it crashes mid game now and again although that may not happen as the drivers improve

decisions decisions

Associate
Im torn as to what to do now, the new drivers have improved stability and timespy doesnt cause a complete system crash anymore.

I can return and replace with a 2080 but it may improve over time. Very frustrating. It just annoys me when it crashes mid game now and again although that may not happen as the drivers improve

decisions decisions
What I would do is run a fire strike ultra stress test. It really warms the card up and will rat out if the card is faulty. Its a constant 4k work load that the card shouldn't have an issue running 24/7 if its not faulty.

Soldato
Dammit, just tested a few games inc Destiny 2. Crashes after about 20mins, complete crash black screen

I was wanting to keep it but I think Im gonna have to go to the dark side again

Permabanned
I've been doing tests with different settings, The aim is reducing noise levels & improving performance, In the following test which was recorded with Relive I did an 8 run bench of the Metro 2033 Redux benchmark to see how temps and performance were affected, At the end I drag across the Wattman graph showing how it acted for each run, Obviously more testing is required along with full gaming sessions but I was pleased to see no thermal throttling, consistent results across all runs with temps staying under 70c & the Junction temp staying under 100c, The fan speed was limited to go no higher than 50% which being in a case on the floor meant the fan noise wasn't an issue, It was audible but it wasn't obtrusive with the in-game audio having to be lowered so I could hear it properly. I've put the recording here as I'm hoping it's fine seeing as it's not connected to an account that's profited from + it's meant to be informative.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've been doing tests with different settings, The aim is reducing noise levels & improving performance, In the following test which was recorded with Relive I did an 8 run bench of the Metro 2033 Redux benchmark to see how temps and performance were affected, At the end I drag across the Wattman graph showing how it acted for each run, Obviously more testing is required along with full gaming sessions but I was pleased to see no thermal throttling, consistent results across all runs with temps staying under 70c & the Junction temp staying under 100c, The fan speed was limited to go no higher than 50% which being in a case on the floor meant the fan noise wasn't an issue, It was audible but it wasn't obtrusive with the in-game audio having to be lowered so I could hear it properly. I've put the recording here as I'm hoping it's fine seeing as it's not connected to an account that's profited from + it's meant to be informative.

Nice.

What voltage were you running at for that core clock speed? You forgot to show that during the video.

Also you should use the AMD Performance metrics rather than FRAPS for FPS.

Permabanned
Nice.

What voltage were you running at for that core clock speed? You forgot to show that during the video.

Also you should use the AMD Performance metrics rather than FRAPS for FPS.

I just deleted the video as I missed that it had the memory running at 800mhz which happens when manually overclocking it (I forgot), A bug, The core was at 1830 I think, I haven't seen any reason to go higher than stock as it has no effect for me, I can run it with the core at 1900mhz but it negativly impacts the core clocks in game. I did 1830 this time to see if any improvement in core clock can be got with smaller increases but it seem not. I'm going to try again with the 19.2.2 driver to see if it still drops the memory clocks when done manually.

Associate
Has anyone here tried freesync yet?
I'm using a Freesync 2 monitor (Samsung CHG90) and as soon as freesync is switched on I am subjected to a flicker fest. I've already tried swapping the DP cable for an expensive one to no avail. I've had to resort to switching off freesync.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone here tried freesync yet?
I'm using a Freesync 2 monitor (Samsung CHG90) and as soon as freesync is switched on I am subjected to a flicker fest. I've already tried swapping the DP cable for an expensive one to no avail. I've had to resort to switching off freesync.

Freesync 1 working here without any issues on Asus mg278q

Back
Top Bottom