Pulling Wires

POB

POB

Soldato
Just purchased a new build house.

I thought I was lucky as I spotted a few of the phone cables are CAT 5e.

So I replaced the euro-module phone jacks with RJ45 sockets.

But unfortunately the main cable that goes up and down stairs is only CAT 5 :(

Stupid question but typically would the wires be secured somewhere or could I potentially just attached a replacement and pull it though on the existing?

Doesn't feel like there is any give at the moment, so assume its attached somehow in the wall.

Normally will be covered by metal "trunking" if forget the official term.
Or just tacked in a few places to keep them in place before being overboarded. My phone ones I found were pretty loose, but the sparky had in effect glued them in place by using dot and dab glue on the sockets. I had to chip loads off and still they were holding on, so in the end i just chased a few holes, and used some self made draws (canes and metal coat hangers to pull them where there were gaps. Bit time consuming but can be done.
My biggest issue is all floors are hardwood so I have real issues in going horizontally

I have never managed to pull any cables in my house either, if any share the space or you have any angles or anything its highly unlikely you will manage to pull them in my experience

Soldato
It wil be virtually impossible to pull through a new cable in most new builds. The cables are usually in quite tight spaces, going round corners etc.

Soldato
Yea most are clipped in various places and router through rafters. It would be highly unlikely to pull one through

POB

POB

Soldato
OP
Do you know what. Even if it was only Cat5 cable, I’d still punch it down and test it. You maybe surprised, especially if it’s a relatively short run.
I tried it first before checking the cable spec. Stuck at around 90Mbps.

Annoying as some of the cables are the cat5e just unlucky.

But from what is mentioned above it might be with another go incase I did a bad job with the cable.

POB

POB

Soldato
OP
OMG :)

8044608065.png

Re-did my bad termination and get full speed upstairs now.

Thanks a million. :)

Back
Top Bottom