iPhone 7 - putting music onto it

Soldato
First off, I am an Android user. My daughter is apple all the way. We have great banter about the best etc etc etc.

Anyway, I have bought her a new iPhone X, and so I have nabbed her iphone 7 to add to my ever growing collection of "Why did I get thats?"

Now, I am trying my damnedest to get to like it, but I am simply not Gelling. I absolutely hate the bloody thing.

I seem to have an issue with my main PC right now and whenever I try connecting my phones or tablets to it, it kind of whines about the last thing I connected to the USB failed etc, and this iphone is no different.

My Linux PCs don't want to know, they see the iphone but only want to get pics off it and there are none, and annoyingly the Mac is absolutely fine with it

So, using iTunes, I chucked some files over onto my Hackintosh, and I was able to get some junk onto the iphone that way.

This seems to be the only way I can do it?

Now, I do remember about a years or so ago, that I connected it to the PC and I was able to access the files using the computer just like a flash drive... I am unable to do that now.

And I going nuts or am I just imagining that I did that????

I am honestly trying to work out how the hell people like these things? They are awful phones.

I want so much to give it a proper trial, but its just so horrible to use.

Soldato
To side load music you need to use iTunes on Windows or Mac.

What else are you having trouble with?

Being honest if you are into tweaking software, skins and messing with things like Linux/hackintosh then an iPhone probally isn’t for you. It’s apples way or the highway unless you jailbreak it, but we can’t go into that on here.

Soldato
First off, I am an Android user. My daughter is apple all the way. We have great banter about the best etc etc etc.

Anyway, I have bought her a new iPhone X, and so I have nabbed her iphone 7 to add to my ever growing collection of "Why did I get thats?"

Now, I am trying my damnedest to get to like it, but I am simply not Gelling. I absolutely hate the bloody thing.

I seem to have an issue with my main PC right now and whenever I try connecting my phones or tablets to it, it kind of whines about the last thing I connected to the USB failed etc, and this iphone is no different.

My Linux PCs don't want to know, they see the iphone but only want to get pics off it and there are none, and annoyingly the Mac is absolutely fine with it

So, using iTunes, I chucked some files over onto my Hackintosh, and I was able to get some junk onto the iphone that way.

This seems to be the only way I can do it?

Now, I do remember about a years or so ago, that I connected it to the PC and I was able to access the files using the computer just like a flash drive... I am unable to do that now.

And I going nuts or am I just imagining that I did that????

I am honestly trying to work out how the hell people like these things? They are awful phones.

I want so much to give it a proper trial, but its just so horrible to use.

Open iTunes on your computer. Add your music to your iTunes library. Connect phone to computer and press ‘sync’ in iTunes.

It boggles my mind how so-called techies can’t understand such a simple concept. It’s even easier than manually managing your stuff via a file manager.

Soldato
You could always upload your tunes to Google Play Music (free storage for 20k songs) and then just get the Google Music app on your iphone and *boom* tunes on iPhone and you dont have to mess with iTunes etc.

Soldato
OP
So, the only way, is through itunes?

It works fine through the Mac and the "Other Mac" but the Windows PC does not!

That also means that I will be selling it off!

Even the rotten Microsoft Lumia phone lets me use it like a Flash Drive to get things on and off it.

Soldato
So, the only way, is through itunes?

It works fine through the Mac and the "Other Mac" but the Windows PC does not!

That also means that I will be selling it off!

Even the rotten Microsoft Lumia phone lets me use it like a Flash Drive to get things on and off it.

Yeah it’s awful having to use it like a flash drive. It would be much better if everything just synced with iTunes.

Soldato
OP
Why don’t you fix your PC?

iTunes works fine on windows everywhere else.

Well, its working fine now.

I just despise the way iTunes / iphones work.
As I said in the original post, when I connected it to my PC some time ago, It did allow me to get things off it, and I see that this is still doing it, but only for pictures.

I merely wanted to get a few albums onto it, and I dont like the way it wanted to force me to use a program to do it.

Soldato
Well, its working fine now.

I just despise the way iTunes / iphones work.
As I said in the original post, when I connected it to my PC some time ago, It did allow me to get things off it, and I see that this is still doing it, but only for pictures.

I merely wanted to get a few albums onto it, and I dont like the way it wanted to force me to use a program to do it.

Interesting question; why do you despise the iTunes/iPhone way of doing things? I’ve always seen it as a lot easier than using file managers and manually managing content. Is it that people find it difficult to adjust?

Soldato
You could try using Spotify app. Not sure if access to local music is restricted at all with subscription but that's what I use for cross-platform access, just upload library then download what I want onto phone. Various versions available for Linux via snapd (official) or repo.

For photos and files try iCloud for Windows but again Linux out of luck, Dropbox is available but if I remember correctly will only support ext4 file system "soon" (might have changed policy since). You might be better off sticking with Google services since you already used Android.

Back
Top Bottom