Bioware's Anthem

Associate
Enjoying this too....
Although watching the latest developer twitch video thing, quite at lot of Quality of Life fixes are in then 'proper' release. e.g. Running in fort tarsis should be in after the full release etc.
At the moment - loot drops seem nice, lots of customisation. Will wait to see how much 'coin' is available each week etc, before judging the paid for microtransations, but at the moment its looks like I can grind to buy stuff I like in a reasonable time without splashing out real cash.
The secondary social area you unlock seems to negate the need to go anywhere near Fort Tarsis once the story is done (as I see it), so looks like a end game lobby area, which is ok.
However, Map seems to be very similar areas all over. Some variety in locale is needed. Hopefully this will come post release.

Associate
Load times are a joke and the sheer amount of them is incredibly annoying, check out the pc gamer review in progress, its 100% sums up how i feel and i reckon most feel about it.

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthem-review/

Great fun when out in your javelin fighting but probably the most frustrating game ive ever played when not in the javelin.
I cant believe any game devs could sit there and think this is what gamers want.

Its an absolute shame because they are turning away a massive percentage of players, the big shame is endgame is looking excellent, i was watching some streamers on endgame lastnight and it looks great with an excellent loot system with plenty to do.

Im a loot game junkie and im finding it so hard to persevere through countless boring npc,loading screen,slo-mo walk thropugh that ** Fully Star out all swearing ** city just to get the the next mission.
Im at the stage now that im spamming escape key to skip all the npc chat [i dont care about your boring story]

Earlier i sid the world is bland, i take it all back, its absolutely stunning once you get out of the starting area and its absolutely massive, but sadly it feels empty.
Here again what ive heard is its full of enemies at engame, everything is about endgame but what a slog to get there FFS.

Thankfully i only subbed to origin premier for the month the check this out, if i get to endgame and its as good as it looks i might buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Wow this game feels like a complete mess at the moment.

When actually in the Javelin it feels ok and looks fine, but the world feels empty and the missions so far feel just copy paste "Go here, find something, kill some enemies". Granted only early on so this will probbaly improve.

Everything else though.... oh boy!

The loading screens....... argh! The amount of time spent on loading screens.... ARGH! The amount of times the game has crashed or lost connection forcing me to have to sit through the loading screens again... ARGH!

The main "tower" area feels like a clunky mess and the NPC's are beyond forgettable. I ended up just mashing B (playing on controller as I still can't stand the KB & M in this game) just to skip through them as fast as possible. Then we have the UI & menus which feels like it was designed to be as annoying as possible (Why do I have to hold keys that don't have any other purpose (thus wouldn't be pressing them anyway) whilst in the tower to do anything?!).

And then we get on to the big one which has forced me to quite the game multiple times.... I couldn't see my Javelin in the Forge..

I am going to persevere as I did enjoy the missions from the demo I played (presumably later on in the story), but damn it is soooo frustrating trying to do anything out of mission in this game!

Also is anyone having issues with invisible enemies? I have been playing with my wife and more often than not I would die to enemies she is shooting but I can't see.

Soldato
The loading screens are bizarre they clearly have streaming tech down in the open world area so I don't quite understand the need for them. I haven't found them to be a massive annoyance but on my nvme outside of initial load they take no more than a couple of seconds. Irrespective of that still jarring.

Not had any other glaring issues that aside. Some annoying bugs and fort tarsus is a boring hub area that frankly I could have done without.

Soldato
So I just found out there was a bug at launch with how many coins and javelin unlocks we were supposed to get

Supposedly you were only meant to get 40k coins + 1 Javelin unlock

But people have got 80k + 2 unlocks, 120k + 3 unlocks or 160k + 4 unlocks

The bug has now been fixed and it's being left unchanged for those of us lucky to get more

What did you all get ? I got 120k + 3 unlocks

Soldato
Clip of some early level gameplay footage and me failing in freeplay. Excuse friends talking in the background was on discord at the time!

Soldato
tried the game for couple of hours, and mirroring what other ppl posts say the loading screens are tiresome, and for love of god the town to find the next NPC to talk to and spam (skip-skip-skip-skip) then having to walk back back to the javelin. you feel no emotion to what they are saying why did devs think this was a good idea. the other issue is the textures popping in. all missions are bland go to xyz kill some NPC and then that's it, the loot system you never get any good gear.

I call this game Loading Simulator because that's where you spend most of the time.

i have uninstalled it for now.

Soldato
tried the game for couple of hours, and mirroring what other ppl posts say the loading screens are tiresome, and for love of god the town to find the next NPC to talk to and spam (skip-skip-skip-skip) then having to walk back back to the javelin. you feel no emotion to what they are saying why did devs think this was a good idea. the other issue is the textures popping in. all missions are bland go to xyz kill some NPC and then that's it, the loot system you never get any good gear.

I imagine the devs, being Bioware (or what's left of it) probably tried to make a more involved and interesting game with a focus on story, dialog etc. and then some EA busy-body turned up and stuck their oar in to force them to scrap this, scrap that... scrap this interesting world building - there's no way to monetise compelling dialogue or story sections... scrap these deeper systems and layers of gameplay - we don't want the player enjoying themselves too much or there won't be an incentive to skip boring grind by opening their wallet... and so on...

Soldato
I imagine the devs, being Bioware (or what's left of it) probably tried to make a more involved and interesting game with a focus on story, dialog etc. and then some EA busy-body turned up and stuck their oar in to force them to scrap this, scrap that... scrap this interesting world building - there's no way to monetise compelling dialogue or story sections... scrap these deeper systems and layers of gameplay - we don't want the player enjoying themselves too much or there won't be an incentive to skip boring grind by opening their wallet... and so on...

That's the problem EA seem to be releasing more and more unfinished games, but this could have been an amazing game. when the player is being forced to do something i.e. walk to see NPC to talk and some dialog it loses it's interest of the player. and when your doing it for the 10th time it's frustrating. dont get me wrong i love a good story hell they could have just done cut scenes when the game is loading

Soldato
The thing with loading screens is that they would have been fine if you could do other things. One thing Destiny and Destiny 2 did really well is allow you to access your inventory during loading screens which meant you could admire character see loot drops change loadouts etc. If we could do the same with the forge that would at least alleviate some of the tedium.

Soldato
Got a few hours in Saturday after getting an invite for origin access basic, luckily the trial version didn't require a redownload. Graphics look to have been turned up from the demo, flying has been improved and combat still feels fun. Not liking the amount of loading screens between everything and the menu system still needs tweaking for PC usage.

Back
Top Bottom