New model fiesta ST? Worth it?

Soldato
Hi all, don't post here all that often, especially considering I'm an auto electrician, but just after some advice!

I've been eyeing up the Fiesta ST, specifically the new 3cyl 1.5ltr. But I'm waiting until I've completed my HNC to purchase one as a pat on theback to myself.

Is it worth waiting for the new model to drop slightly in 12 months (used) or should I just go ahead with a 4 cylinder.

I can stretch to around 14k but don't want to spend much more. However I'd really like the new model as I prefer the look.

Can I expect them to drop to around my budget or will I be waiting a while?

Cheers for any advice. Always been wary of 1ltr 3cyl but I'm confident the tech has improved with these new models.

Associate
The new model is a big step up from the previous mk7 in terms of the interior. I sat in one the other day and was very pleasantly surprised. Personally I don't think it's worth the new list price though. Certainly in a year or two I'd say they would be a worthwhile purchase.

You can pick up a very nice mk7 for not much over 10k now. You could run one of those for a couple of years and not lose much. Make the jump to the mk8 once someone else has swallowed the bulk of the depreciation.

Soldato
OP
The new model is a big step up from the previous mk7 in terms of the interior. I sat in one the other day and was very pleasantly surprised. Personally I don't think it's worth the new list price though. Certainly in a year or two I'd say they would be a worthwhile purchase.

You can pick up a very nice mk7 for not much over 10k now. You could run one of those for a couple of years and not lose much. Make the jump to the mk8 once someone else has swallowed the bulk of the depreciation.

It definitely is, the Mk7 interior just reminds me of my dad's 51 plate focus zetec, bland considering the badge!

I'm hoping my current golf can get past it's MOT so I can continue waiting, but the list price of the new (especially with the performance pack) ST is headache inducing.

Plus the new Blue looks a lot better than the old purple/blue combo of the Mk7.

Associate
both the new fiesta st and the new mini jcw look a lot of fun for small hatchbacks, admittedly both are a bit pricey with a few options... So, will be interesting to see how prices fair next year on the used market.

At least the fiesta st is available with 5 doors now (i think it came in last year?), which put me off when i was looking to change car 3 years ago.

Soldato
Go for a MK7 tbh. It still handles very well and the engine is a bigger 4cyl, so more tuning potential. Also the mk7 looks better on the outside :)

Soldato
I've posted about the new MK8 before, and although I've only driven the Titanium versions of 7.5 and 8, I think the comparison will still hold somewhat

I personally think the 7.5 is a much nicer looking car on the outside, but on the whole, the 8 is a nicer car to drive. I found it was quieter, smoother, more responsive and a better drive. Turning circle is also a fair bit better - something the 7.5 struggles with imo.

BUT

After looking at the pricing on the new MK 8 vs MK 7.5, I don't think it's worth the jump to the 8. The 7.5 is still a very, very nice car to drive; it handles really nicely, it's plenty responsive with the accelerator (as long as you're in the turbo range) and it's fairly efficient :)

I think you'd be very happy with a 7.5, but definitely worth driving the two

Commissario
My brother in law recently traded in his mk7 for the newer mk8, but finds it much nicer to drive and mentioned that the inclusion of the diff really helps when "pushing on".

Soldato
I've posted about the new MK8 before, and although I've only driven the Titanium versions of 7.5 and 8, I think the comparison will still hold somewhat

You can't really compare the standard cars to the STs. Underneath the bodywork there are a lot of differences and they don't feel like the same car.

Soldato
OP
My brother in law recently traded in his mk7 for the newer mk8, but finds it much nicer to drive and mentioned that the inclusion of the diff really helps when "pushing on".

Problem is if I went mk8, I'd want the performance pack with the LSD included. Which pushes the price up.

I don't plan on track days or modding to be honest, I just want a fun car that will put a smile on my face on my commute, and fun trips away.

The sync 3 system is a big seller for me to be honest, with a large info screen. Plus I actually like the exterior more on the mk8.

I definitely need to think it through. I'd definitely be happy with either, as I'm currently driving a naturally aspirated 1.4.

Anyone with an ST notice a massive increase in running costs? It's something I'd expect to increase but I'd like a general idea.

Associate
If were talking about mk7 Fiesta ST or even budget of 14k, you thought about considering even the Focus ST? You could get the bigger brother for that price range or other hot-hatches around that budget.

Soldato
You can't really compare the standard cars to the STs. Underneath the bodywork there are a lot of differences and they don't feel like the same car.

I can't compare the titanium to the ST, but the difference between the 7.5 and 8 will likely be similar regardless of the model, even if the models themselves don't drive the same

I.e., the increased turning circle I experienced going from the 7.5 to 8 will likely be there on the ST series too, as will the quieter engine and aesthetics

I would hazard a guess that the way in which the clutch, accelerator and steering input feels different going from the 7.5 and 8 is similar too with the ST series :)

Soldato
OP
If were talking about mk7 Fiesta ST or even budget of 14k, you thought about considering even the Focus ST? You could get the bigger brother for that price range or other hot-hatches around that budget.

When looking at the Focus, I keep looking at the 1.5 Turbo Zetec S, rather than the ST. to reduce the cost. But I like the idea of a hot hatch to be honest. I used to have a Corsa, and I really enjoyed driving it, it was more fun than my current golf (I think because of the small form factor and wheel placement).

Associate
When looking at the Focus, I keep looking at the 1.5 Turbo Zetec S, rather than the ST. to reduce the cost. But I like the idea of a hot hatch to be honest. I used to have a Corsa, and I really enjoyed driving it, it was more fun than my current golf (I think because of the small form factor and wheel placement).
If you're after small hot-hatches but doesn't cost as much to run/maintain then you can't really go wrong with Fiesta ST, but there are others you could consider:
VW Polo GTI/Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8T/Skoda Fabia VRS?
Kia Cee'd/pro'Ceed 1.6 GT
Renaultsport Clio
Fiat 500 Abarth (not fan)
Toyota Yaris GRMN 1.8 Supercharged (rarity car but probably cost similar to mk8 ST atm?)

Soldato
The Fiesta ST is pretty cheap to run, I used to get around 40mpg from mine. That was with the Mountune MP215 kit as well.

A 1.0 they gave me for a cutesy car only got a few more than that (and it felt like I was having to floor it to get moving :p).

Soldato
My only gripe with the Mk8 is it just looks soooo boring and bland, Doesn't scream performance, Least the Mk7 looks aggressive all round and not look like a Ford B-Max

Same with the 2019 ST Focus i saw on youtube, it looks boring, just looks like your everyday Focus.

Soldato
I don't plan on track days or modding to be honest, I just want a fun car that will put a smile on my face on my commute, and fun trips away.
The MK7 will do that at a pretty low price although it seems prices for 2 year old ones are about the same as when I bought mine (Sep 2016 - 64 plate) despite the new one coming out.

I wish I'd kept mine, it was so much fun.

New one looks awful in comparison too.

Soldato
The ST200 has improved suspension, steering, an LSD, a bit more power and shorter gear ratios. It probably is worth it since it will hold it's value a lot better.

They only come in primer grey though :p

Soldato
The Fiesta ST is pretty cheap to run, I used to get around 40mpg from mine. That was with the Mountune MP215 kit as well.

A 1.0 they gave me for a cutesy car only got a few more than that (and it felt like I was having to floor it to get moving :p).

I only get 41 out of mine on local journeys, and maybe 45 on a motorway. Country roads seem the most economical - I get it north of 50 :)

Always feel like the MK 7.5 needs an extra gear at the top end - on a motorway at 70(+10) MPH it'll sit at 2500 RPM ish

Back
Top Bottom