Huawei - can they be trusted?

Soldato
But if the CIA just 'happen to find' a backdoor (or simply smash it in themselves :p ), it's all OK?

That's no different to ordinary pen testers finding them. It all then comes down to how quickly they can patch the exploit, which in general the big players will do fairly quickly.

No software solution is 100% leakproof, even if it's currently leakproof, as code and systems change, exploits suddenly develop, so it's a constant battle to fix.

Soldato
It really wouldn't be in Huawei's interest to allow a backdoor for the Chinese government, these things always come out one way or another, and something like that would just destroy a company.

It's in no companies commercial interest to co-operate with intelligence agencies to allow access to their systems. However, both US Prism and UK Tempora have shown that companies can be forced to co-operate in secret. This why I agree with @ttaskmaster's earlier statement:

I would suggest you trust no product made in any country with a government capable of arranging backdoors, regardless of whether the manufacturer virtue signals or not.

Soldato
I would suggest you trust no product made in any country with a government capable of arranging backdoors, regardless of whether the manufacturer virtue signals or not.

The problem with that though, is that leaves practically zero manufacturers on the list. All of the top handset manufacturers exist in a country whereby the governments are 'capable' of arranging backdoors.

Soldato
They can? You mean there's actual proof?
HAH - I knew it..... !!!
I'm really not one for tinfoil hats and stuff, but if such things are actually true I'm inclined to start folding myself a Bacofoil Beanie! :D

:p

The problem with that though, is that leaves practically zero manufacturers on the list. All of the top handset manufacturers exist in a country whereby the governments are 'capable' of arranging backdoors.

I think the point is to be careful with what you share online regardless of who manufactures the tech. If the Chinese government did ask Huawei to add spyware into their products it would most likely to be assist with their intelligence gathering and the average person would not be a target. That does not make it ok but probably something that should not factor into your phone buying decision making. I would personally be more worried by how Google or Facebook are scanning my data than the Chinese Government.

Yup... All of your datas are belong to us!

I have enough tinfoil here for several beanies, by the way... would you like me to make you one? :)

Thanks, I'll need an extra large one for cover my big ears! :eek:

Soldato
There are plenty of Chinese smartphone manufacturers around, why is it that only Huawei are suspected of this kind of thing? Seems a bit odd to target just the one company so intensely.

Soldato
There are plenty of Chinese smartphone manufacturers around, why is it that only Huawei are suspected of this kind of thing? Seems a bit odd to target just the one company so intensely.

As stated earlier in the thread it may well be due the china trade wars and that HUAWEI is an up and coming brand to most people, and their competitors are trying to tarnish their name.

Soldato
As stated earlier in the thread it may well be due the china trade wars and that HUAWEI is an up and coming brand to most people, and their competitors are trying to tarnish their name.
The same could be said for Xiaomi, a very similar almost identical company, but nobodies trying to tarnish them.

Maybe I'm completely missing the point...

Soldato

No one is worried about their phone business, it's their networking equipment that is attracting the focus. Huawei are already heavily integrated in the BT network but the current focus is on should "we" allow them to have a big presence in the rollout of 5G.

Soldato
The same could be said for Xiaomi, a very similar almost identical company, but nobodies trying to tarnish them.

There was so something about their owner previously working for the people's liberation army, and I think people implied this might make him more likely to help the government. Or something like that, I could have it slightly wrong.

But I really think it's more about the US trade war and competition with Apple.

Soldato
No one is worried about their phone business, it's their networking equipment that is attracting the focus. Huawei are already heavily integrated in the BT network but the current focus is on should "we" allow them to have a big presence in the rollout of 5G.
Ah I see, thank you, makes much more sense now.

That's because no beggar knows how to pronounce their name!!
Huawei isn't the easiest but you can still make a go of it, and it gets easier the more pints you drink!
My missus says it's pronounced 'Jowme' with the J sounding the French way like in Jus.

There was so something about their owner previously working for the people's liberation army, and I think people implied this might make him more likely to help the government. Or something like that, I could have it slightly wrong.
Interesting, worth some digging.

Associate

You aren't alone.

I'd class HUAWEI in a different league as they make radio infrastructure equipment as well as consumer level products.

This is on the money. Smart phones aren't the issue, it is the backbone. 5G isn't just about phones and wireless transmitters - it also needs a better backbone. Huawei have developed some of the best tech in this area and are ahead of the traditional players like Nokia & Ericsson. As everything has to go through the backbone then all traffic is potentially at 'risk'(I have no idea if Huawei are a genuine threat)

Soldato
I'll do you a Deerstalker one. ;)

Thanks! :D

You aren't alone.

This is on the money. Smart phones aren't the issue, it is the backbone. 5G isn't just about phones and wireless transmitters - it also needs a better backbone. Huawei have developed some of the best tech in this area and are ahead of the traditional players like Nokia & Ericsson. As everything has to go through the backbone then all traffic is potentially at 'risk'(I have no idea if Huawei are a genuine threat)

Reports suggest poor Huawei design and coding pose a bigger risk then any Chinese Government influence:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-47305420

This sounds standard for any tech company.

Back
Top Bottom