How to select Tyres?

Soldato
I put the primacies back on my gt86 a couple of days ago, thinking 10c was warm enough for them to grip. Nope :p

PS4s going on next I think because they are just the best performance road tyre for the money right now.

Last edited:
Associate
Michelin Primacies will just not die. Had a pair that came on my 2013 GT86 that I bought last year, done 32k... and still had original tyres.

Granted they were super dangerous because they were rock solid after 5 years, but they only wore half way :confused:

Associate
I put the primacies back on my gt86 a couple of days ago, thinking 10c was warm enough for them to grip. Nope :p

PS4s going on next I think because they are just the best performance road tyre for the money right now.

Just swapped my Primacies from the front to the back to maximise the life of my Pilot Sport 4's, my lord the difference was light night and day, I couldn't get traction going up a steep bank the other day in the damp! :o Think it's time for new tyres..

Soldato
Michelin Primacies will just not die. Had a pair that came on my 2013 GT86 that I bought last year, done 32k... and still had original tyres.

Granted they were super dangerous because they were rock solid after 5 years, but they only wore half way :confused:

Yea, low rolling resistance so they last forever. But that's also the reason for the lack of grip. I'm not at all careful with mine and they still have 5mm left on them after 2 years. At this rate the rubber is going to decay before they wear out.

Associate
OP
Awful tyre on something other than a lightweight car like an MX5. They are incredibly soft so wear very quickly and the side walls are soft giving a horrible feeling through the wheel. Had 4 on the wife's Fabia and was glad to see them wear out.

My Ateca is on Bridgestones and isnt all that bad, would consider them again. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 in your size gets good reviews (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Search/Size/225-50-18/Season/Summer/Order/Rating), after that I would go Primacy 4 (https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/michelin/primacy-4/225/50/R18/W/99/f?tyre=37380991).

Thanks, loads of good input from everyone! Glad it's a complicated subject and not just me!

Associate
OP
Ok I think Its down to - michelin primacy 4 vs bridgestone turanza t001...

Cost is not really the important thing just long lasting and safe....seem to be getting conflicting views on safety of the primacy 4's...so maybe I stick with the Bridgestone which is kind of funny as that was plan before I posted...any last views?

Soldato
Ok I think Its down to - michelin primacy 4 vs bridgestone turanza t001...

Cost is not really the important thing just long lasting and safe....seem to be getting conflicting views on safety of the primacy 4's...so maybe I stick with the Bridgestone which is kind of funny as that was plan before I posted...any last views?

If the primacy 4s are anything like the primacy HPs the gt86 came with, they are very slippery in the cold+wet (as mentioned above).

Usually the grippier a tyre is the faster it will wear.

Soldato
Ive been very impressed with the wet weather performance of the PS4s

Funny enough I had PS4's on my Cupra and they were fantastic. My Ateca is on 19" rims which just looking at options PS4s are the same price as the PS4 (even less with the £15 off deal), seems a bit of an OTT tyre to put on an SUV with 150bhp.

Man of Honour
A good tyre is a good tyre. For a few quid difference put the PS4's on. Their low wear rates mean you'll probably get that back.

Back
Top Bottom