Best remote control desktop application for linux

Soldato
Hello,

I'm unhappy with Teamviewer in Ubuntu and Lubuntu.

1: It regularly crashes (or says it crashed on the client, but the session stays active), multiple versions of Teamviewer 13 and 14 behave the same. (i tried multiple official .deb packages from the official site)
2: Ctrl+ alt + del is greyed out, buttons in the UI for stuff like reboot are greyed out
3: Drag and drop doesn't work properly (I find this very annoying for moving files around, dont like using file (transfer) managers, just let me drag and drop ffs)
4: In Ubuntu 18.04, we have 0 issues with stability running systems and our own .Net core apps 24/7, except when actively using Teamviewer (active session), it will on occasion freeze the entire pc requiring a power cycle.

Are there any decent, stable, well developed alternatives?
I realise most actions can be done via command line/SSH (brings its own problems though, you'd need to create VPN tunnels instead of just having an app like teamviewer or anydesk connecting outwards), but as a Windows fanboy, I'm used to actually using GUI's. And Teamviewer, while intuitive in Windows, is rubbish for Linux.

Last edited:
Soldato
What do you want to connect to it from? Because I actually use RDP very happily with my Xubuntu VMs. It's relatively straightforward to install an RDP server on Ubuntu and configure it to start a desktop environment. Lets me full-screen the session, copy and paste, etc. Can have the odd issue logging in as the same user from two different sessions but other than that it's been great.

Soldato
OP
Connecting over the internet from win 10...

Teamviewer would be perfect if it'd not randomly freeze the client pcs and have the same features as on windows.

And by drag and drop I mean stuff like dragging between nautilus and win explorer.

Soldato
Plain ssh via terminal should get the job done.

It's an encrypted connection.

Maybe try installing Ubuntu for Windows. This should then give you more of a native environment to talk to Linux clients and vice versa.

Or just install putty.

Transfer files via scp or winscp if you need a GUI.

Have you looked at VNC? It comes in a few flavours.

But I would look to do most things via cmd line.

Last edited:
Associate
Just spent some time researching options for linux and ended up with this:

https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/vnc/linux/

Seems pretty decent over local network, not tried remotely. Though watch out for the awful performance issue (unusable) if you run the remote machine headless.... after much head scratching it turns out you need to have a video cable connected between your GPU and a monitor, even if it's not switched on, otherwise the graphics driver decides not to load up. (this was on Mint 19.1 with an AMD card, don't know if it's a common issue across all distros / nvidia etc.).

Associate
Not sure that's just a Linux problem, there are plugs you can buy to fool the GFX card a monitor is connected for headless operations.

Back
Top Bottom