• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Vega64 burnt plastic smell?

Associate
Hi guys, i'm not really sure where to go with this question but i thought someone here may have knowledge in the matter.
I just recently bought the Saphire RX vega 64 nitro+ from overclockers. I am running it with a ryzen 1600, 16gb ram and one ssd. My power supply is a corsair RM 750x.
I have noticed whilst playing not very demanding games like rocket league that a burnt plastic smell starts to come from inside my pc and it also becomes very hot.
The smell seems to either come from the PSU or the new vega card but after swapping back to my old r9 390 card i have not experienced the same issues.
My pc is not overclocked in any way and i'm not sure what would cause the card to do this other than the power supply possibly being overloaded but my thoughts would be that the power supply should be able to handle the card. I have also given the pc a thorough cleaning and removed all dust.
I tried monitoring the temps with the side off/on and the temperatures seem to be sensible enough except for the fact that the card is creating the same temps on less demanding games as it is for more demanding ones. Any ideas or recommendations would help. Thanks
smile.gif

Associate
OP
I've checked for burnt connectors and haven't noticed anything iregular. There is no plastic film anywhere on the card. I'm currently using an 8pin type4 connector with 2x 6+2 pin coming off it into the card. I have also tried running it with 2 8pin connectors coming from psu.

Soldato
I'd not be happy - you absolutely sure it's coming from the GPU and not the PSU or a short somewhere? I'd RMA it if I took it out, walked into another room and the GPU still stank.

Associate
OP
I'm not 100% but there doesn't seem to be a smell when using my old card. I don't have a spare power supply to test it on that either. I've even ran it through a wattmeter under load and there was plenty to spare so i'm pretty sure it's not the power supply. Is there a chance that the thermal compound can cause an odd smell when the card is hot? I ordered the card just over a month ago and it is only recently the smell has become more frequent/noticeable.

Soldato
I've checked for burnt connectors and haven't noticed anything iregular. There is no plastic film anywhere on the card. I'm currently using an 8pin type4 connector with 2x 6+2 pin coming off it into the card. I have also tried running it with 2 8pin connectors coming from psu.
Use separate connectors from psu to card

Soldato
Worth inspecting the PSU cables or connectors to the GPU if there's an expansion.

If they've got too hot, then that'll cause some burning smell. Look for any bubbling on the cable sleeve.

Back
Top Bottom